Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Pleased to make your acquaintance... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Pleased to make your acquaintance...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And what's with all that surface detailing? The point of early Starfleet ships is that they didn't have surface detailing. (a la E-nil) They were smooth, white, and non-detailed on the exterior. This is friggin' ridiculous!

Someone hasn't watched enough Car Trek.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the ship have to be smooth? Phoenix sure wasn't smooth. Neither was Friendship One.

Besides, the ship only remotely looks like an Akira from the top. I've already told you the arrangement of the nacelles and everything is different.

Another thing I noticed. The lip of the saucer is similar to the Excelsior, in that it is wider at the bottom then at the top and goes down at an angle.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When we saw the Olympic-class USS Pasteur in "All Good Things..." did we scream "It's a bloody Daedalus!" When we saw the Ambassador-class USS Enterprise in "Yesterday's Enterprise" did we scream "It's a bloody Constitution!" No, we did not. So why are we yelling "It's a bloody Akira!" now? The two examples I just mentioned show a future ship that is directly based off of an earlier ship with just a few changes thrown in to modernize them.

Let's look at this SS Enterprise, shall we? It has a rough surface to its hull. Well, the TOS Enterprise wasn't perfectly smooth. Look at some of the close-up hull pictures: there are grooves in the hull. The pictures we've seen of the Daedalus class shows that there was some texture to the hull. The saucer of the SS Enterprise is circular. So were the TOS and TOS Movie Era Enterprises. The nacelles resemble the TOS Enterprise nacelles. Take a lot at the excellent work Masao has done at the Starfleet Museum. A lot of his ships use variations on the TOS nacelle. The SS Enterprise has an honest-to-goodness sensor dish at the tip of the saucer. Just like the TOS Enterprise! The nacelles, contrary to the Akira class, bend upwards. Just like the nacelles on all the following Enterprises. In my opinion, I think that this SS Enterprise will fit in with the era the new series is set.

Some of us seem to be forgetting something important. The ship is simply the vehicle by which the drama is allowed to take place. Star Trek has NEVER been about technology and cool special effects. Star Trek is about the interaction between the characters and humanity's role in the future of the galaxy. The ship makes little difference in the overall scheme of things. I think the ship fits in; a lot of people think the ship is an abomination. The Anti-Ships may be right, but it will be the characters that drive the series NOT whether the shape has X device or not.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Theres your comparison

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, i've taken the time to touch up the enterprise (rotated, removed text, backround, and page crease, and color corrected). I have posted it here:

Enterprise NX-01 - Touched Up

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Lord. Well, a detailed pic at last. So, again, what's with this detailing on the hull? And WINDOWS?! WIndows on the upper side of the primary hull?! And facing DIRECTLY UP? In the cieling?! Gugh. I am relieved about the nacelles and the forward dish though.

So, now for a more detailed analysis. Who thinks those gold caplike things on the forward "extensions" are warp core dumps? And I'm glad to see we have one turbo rotated about thirty degrees to port of the centerline, a la the original E. Those trapezoidal things p/s aft look like they ARE impulse exhaust vents, but not as I pictured them. They look better. The center section between the extended pylons on the primary hull is the shuttlebay. But I'm dissapointed about the pylons. So Constitution-refit. Ah well.

P.S. I just realized, should I have posted all that in the Starships & Technology forum?

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Wes
Member # 212

quote:
Some of us seem to be forgetting something important. The ship is simply the vehicle by which the drama is allowed to take place. Star Trek has NEVER been about technology and cool special effects. Star Trek is about the interaction between the characters and humanity's role in the future of the galaxy. The ship makes little difference in the overall scheme of things. I think the ship fits in; a lot of people think the ship is an abomination. The Anti-Ships may be right, but it will be the characters that drive the series NOT whether the shape has X device or not.

You couldnt be more right.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all know they look relatively similar from above. That's obvious, and nobody's disputing that. But we almost never see the ship from directly above anyway. Drop the camera to a more typical angle and they look quite dissimilar.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shit. Eaves, Jaeger, always confusing those two. So Eaves has plagiarised someone else's design instead of one of his own. That makes it all all right.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
um, Wes, why did you add "PROTEUS" to the left nacelle pylon?

I think the Enterprise should be much smaller then the Akira. Just look at how few windows there are compared to the large amount of windows on the Akira. Besides, the ship only has a crew of 70!

Also, the gold things on the catamaran hull are the tips of the hat to the P-38 Lightening's turbochargers. The plane had a similar catamaran fuselage with it's prop engines located in the dual fuselage. On top of the each fuselage was part of the engine's turbocharger that looks exactly like those gold things. As for what they do on the Enterprise, no clue. They probably will never explain that.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Wes
Member # 212

"Shit. Eaves, Jaeger, always confusing those two. So Eaves has plagiarised someone else's design instead of one of his own. That makes it all all right."

LOL, its quite obvious that Jeager is the better designer.

"um, Wes, why did you add "PROTEUS" to the left nacelle pylon?"

I don't know what your talking about.....

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ship is roughly 225m, I suspect.
Wes
Member # 212

quote:
I think the Enterprise should be much smaller then the Akira.

Okay, I've resized it assuming the "caps" are the same size.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

OK, I quickly drew up what I think the side of this ship will look like, from what I can gather from the top view.

Enterprise Side View

#1 - the "turbochargers" on the top of each of the catamaran hulls

#2 - the bridge, which I am guessing is tall enough to be seen over the catamaran

#3 - the "bays" on either side of the saucer, most likely for cargo I am assuming. Although, as I look at it, it does seem as if the actual gray are may be DOORS for an elevator of some kind.

#4 - This is the dip in the catamaran that I am talking about. Looking at the top view, on the left catamaran, around this area you see that it is a bit shadded, showing that there may indeed be a dip here.

#5 - The impulse engines on the side of the saucer. I am guessing they extend down below the lip some just so that they have a little more room

#6 - The "pod" in the middle. This thing will have to be sitting fairly high in order to clear the bridge, although if the saucer is NOT curved on top, the pod should have no problem.

Other things to mention:

- The gold area at the front may not be a deflector dish as I look at it, because look at how incredibly thin it would have to be (vertically). They only way it would work is if there is an extension on the bottom of the saucer, but this might give the ship a sort of "ugly chin".

- When the catamaran hull dips down, it may not be as thin as you may think because the catamaran may also be on the BOTTOM side of the saucer.

- I believe the very end of the catamaran hull may be more impulse engines, since they seem to look like vents, and the Akira also had some impulse engines there too.

[Edit] Har Har, very funny Wes. You removed the PROTEUS from the left nacelle pylon but added it onto the tail end of the left catamaran. Now stop editing the picture and leave it the way it's supposed to be.

Some newbie is going to come around and think the ship is supposed to say Proteus on it...

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Wes
Member # 212

its amazing how diffrent the design seems when the nacells go up instead of down.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.