Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Pleased to make your acquaintance... (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Pleased to make your acquaintance...
Akula
Member # 319

- posted      Profile for Akula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have to say I'm Pisst about the ship. If this show was to truely be about the humanity of exploring the galaxy they never would have had a ships that looks far more avanced then the dautlaus! Insede the chose a approch that would appeal to a "more general adduence". Now don't get me wrong I love a good SFX show but not if it violates the rest of the Star Trek timeline. I mean what will we see next hand phasers and type X arrays, or posible a ship that goes as fast as the orignal Enterprise, or maybe botton less panels. I also think it violates the Enterprise heritege of Primay secondary hull designs.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This Enterprise is before the heritage though. The good ol 1701 may have STARTED the heritage.

Also, for all we know the Constitution class may have been alone in having the "streamlined, featureless hull". Maybe it was an experiment that they tried on the class, and then took off at the refit?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Akula, have you thoroughly read through all of the threads dedicated to the SS Enterprise? This ship IS NOT going to violate the Star Trek timeline! I've mentioned the reasoning for this many times by now: it is possible for the 24th century Akira class to be based on a 22nd century ship. Look at the Olympic: based on the Daedalus. Time between them? About two centuries. The design lineage between the Constitution and Ambassador, Constellation and Cheyenne, and Excelsior and Sovereign are other good examples.

This ships does not look more advanced than a Daedalus. The Daedalus has an efficient design. It's compact, sleeker, and supposedly can hold about thirty more crew members than this SS Enterprise. It shows an evolution in starship design. We have the Phoenix, the first warp-capable Earth ship. It was flat with nacelles sticking out the sides. This SS Enterprise is still flat, but with the beginning of the circular primary hull that will become the basis of ships to come. In this step in the design, the nacelles move to an upward position which will be followed by later designs and, in particular, the following ships named Enterprise. Next, you have the TOS Enterprise. It has a circular primary hull and nacelles angling above that primary hull, but it now includes a secondary hull a la the Daedalus. There is a logical evolution in ship design here!

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just picked up the TV Guide and I feel much better about the ship , in The_Tom's picture it looked like the ship had phaser strips , upon closer inspection with the official picture i noticed that was not the case.

That Sketch The359 Posted is exactly what i figured it would look like from the side , and it gives the ship a whole new look, still Akira like but i mean , the Enterprise B C D E and almost every other ship design had the Saucer , Secondary hull and Naccele design combo , whos to say thats not plagerism?

And as for the ship looking much more "Rough" , are you guys telling the space shuttle is squeeky clean and perfectly smooth , whos to say those tiles/features dont serve a purpose?

Maybe the Pattern on the hull is capable of reflecting or other wise dulling the effects of radiation , or perhaps they serve as armor or something. Theories abound the ship looks nice it more then fits the role , I understand its futuristic looking but its not a run of the mill Starship.

quote:
Insede the chose a approch that would appeal to a "more general adduence". Now don't get me wrong I love a good SFX show but not if it violates the rest of the Star Trek timeline.

Nothing About That Ship violates the timeline. Let me ask you a question , Compare the Russian Soyuz Space Capsule to lets say the Gemini or Apollo Vehicles , they are both space vessels from the same era , yet they look TOTALY differant , why cant this be the same in Star Trek ?

quote:
Oh Lord. Well, a detailed pic at last. So, again, what's with this detailing on the hull? And WINDOWS?! WIndows on the upper side of the primary hull?! And facing DIRECTLY UP? In the cieling?!

Daniel , Ever heard of a Sun Roof or a Sky Light ?
Why Not Portholes on the roof? If I'm on a ship in the middle of no where , maybe i want to see something thats not a bulkhead when i look up in bed.

I dont think those Gold Caps are super charges , my brother and I suspect they are sensor palletes or part of the comm system.

As for the Submarine Like interior , I like it , I like it alot! I was hoping for something not TOS like.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Obvious ]

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Obvious ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I was saying that on the P-38 those things were turbochargers, and they are on the Akira/Enterprise as an homage. As for their purpose in the Trek universe, no clue.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umbilical connection hardpoints?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

I doubt if those would be umbilical hardpoints, because why would they be on the top of the ship there?

And here you can see the SUPERCHARGERS (I accidentally had been saying Turbo Chargers before) on the P-38 Lightening, which are almost identical to the things on the Akira/Enterprise:

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
This ship IS NOT going to violate the Star Trek timeline! I've mentioned the reasoning for this many times by now: it is possible for the 24th century Akira class to be based on a 22nd century ship.

I have also been saying this for quite some time.

I love you Siegfried. I really do.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why wouldn't they be on the top? What difference does it make?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Because if they are on top you'd need elevators and everything. They'd be better if they were on the side of the ship, where the airlocks are, so you can transfer them easier.

--------------------

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to make my prediction about the whole thing...

In regards to the underside of the saucer, who here will agree that it will likely have a terraced, utilitarian appearance like the Soverign Class? Possibly with a cylindrical midsection which extends towards the front of the saucer to meet up with the deflector dish.

--------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Wes1701E: Thanks a bunch, but you don't really love me. I'm a bear in the mornings and I snore.

Vorlon: Actually, from the picture being bounced around, the dish in the notched out section of the forward part of the saucer. As for the underside of the saucer, I'd bet that it's either flat or slightly curvey.

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been hyping myself up for Enterprise now. I have completed a CG model of the ship:

Enterprise Render

It's low poly so it doesnt look like my typical renders, but I plan on completely removing the name and importing it into Dominion Wars and Armada. I will try to guess on what the sauser underside looks like and post a diffrent view eventually.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

Link doesn't work

--------------------

Wes
Member # 212

Damn man, your quick. I fixed it like 10 seconds after i posted it
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps