Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » E2 (Poss. $poilers) (Page 7)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: E2 (Poss. $poilers)
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess I'd be one of those few who utterly despised the premise of this episode (the acting was fine, tech was as lame as usual). Maybe I'm too used to how quickly people become aware of the potential for temporal paradoxes in TOS through VOY, but that doesn't excuse this episode for the way it justifies itself.

You got everyone's running around making decisions that they would find utterly stupid had they the least bit of inkling of what a paradox could do. How could anyone open fire on their ancestors and not expect any consequences? Doesn't preventing yourself from being born ever occur to you when you're stopping your parents from getting together?

I mean, it's the writers' job to tell us a story that would suspend our disbelief. Simply telling us that we shouldn't bother thinking about the paradox doesn't do that. The old "the anomoly shielded us from the change in the timeline" excuse would have worked just fine here, even if it's very banal. The NX-present is full of the "brightest" of Earth, the NX-past had 150 years to think about this, you'd think someone, somewhere on screen, would have said SOMETHING about the two NXs applying kinetic energy to the rear access manifold of the timeline in a manner that is beyond the timeline's design specifications and safety limits.

Finally, coupled with a convinent temporal-copying machine plot device, this episode seem like something VOY would do. The progression of the episode is predictable, relies completely on unfathomable ignorance to produce one poor decision after another, blah blah blah, blah blah blah, blah, etc etc. *realizes what he's complaining about, suddenly very very tired*

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you even like it for just the entertainment value?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's just stupid. If people watched Enterprise for the entertainment value, then they'd be talking about how good "Damage" was, instead of saying that it's the worst episode since "Threshold" because they got a piece of tech wrong.

Stupid Dat.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wishful thinking, I know, but maybe the writers are finally grasping and buying into the Many Worlds concept in which paradoxes a la Back To The Future do not occur.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, that'd hardly be a new thing for Star Trek to tackle. "Parallels" was based around the Many Worlds concept.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As is the entire "Mirror Universe" thing.

Trek seems to have both causality andalternate realities.
Both versions of time-travel ae well setablished in Trek so there should be no bitching about Enterprise's use of time-hopping, causality or the lack thereof or any other time-related technobabble.

Something I enjoy about Enterprise is that Archer and crew are just as bewildered about who these things could work as we are.
I think Archer is pretty fed up with the whole notion of temporal, third-party manipulation of both alien species and his crew.
(insert deragatory "so are we" line from whoever wants to bash the show today)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Er, that'd hardly be a new thing for Star Trek to tackle. "Parallels" was based around the Many Worlds concept.

Yes, but then why all the fuss about paradoxes? They can't seem to decide which model to use. They're sort of mutually exclusive.
[Confused]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

They pick whichever one is best, dramatically. Crazy idea, I know, but there you go.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"As is the entire 'Mirror Universe' thing."

Well, not really. The Mirror Universe kind of suggests that there's one alternate timeline. In the world we see in "Parallels", there's a near-infinite number of "Mirror Universes".

The Mirror Universe stories seem to imply that our timeline is strangely intertwined with another timeline where many things are strangely identical to ours, and many things are polar opposites.

They don't really give any indication why, if there are so many timelines, the main one is so closely connected to the "Mirror" one.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the "Mirror" timeline is just the dimension with the closest vibrational attunement (accounting for the means of travel to it being transpoters).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never thought that the Mirror Universe was an offshoot of our timeline. I don't think it's related at all. In other words, there was no common event. Things in that universe aren't simply different or alternate versions of events, the fundamental nature of reality seems to be different.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I agree: That's why their version of Dr. Bashier is neither genetically enhanced nor is he a moron.
Mean bastard though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Not to go madly off topic, but how do you know he isn't genetically enhanced?

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was the exact term "Mirror Universe" actually ever used in dialogue? It certainly wasn't explicitly called that in the DS9 episodes. I suspect the TOS episode mentioned it?

It certainly seemed to be intended to be more than a mere alternate reality in TOS.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Sisko calls it tthe "Mirror Universe" (I think).
How could Bashier have recieved his enhancments in the mirror universe?
Even in the open environment of the Federation, it was pretty risky.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.