Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » This date in history, the legend is born! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: This date in history, the legend is born!
StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post 
Quoted from Dat:

Even though it seems that Starfleet is based off the US Navy, one has to remember the US Navy is based off the Royal Navy. They were the ones that got the reformed and modernized navy that everyone else followed.

And Lexington was an American carrier in WW2. But let's see:

Enterprise: most famous as an American carrier in WW2, though there was also an HMS Enterprise during that time.

Defiant: no reference

Lexington: I just stated above

Yorktown: American carriers in WW2

Constitution: American Revolutionary War frigate still in active service

Constellation: no WW2 reference except it almost became an American battlecruiser, though 1800's American frigate still intact - Comment: Technically a "Sloop of War", not the old Constellation of the Quasi-War with France or the War of 1812.

Farragut: no WW2 reference that I'm aware of, but would likely be only American ships - Comment: USS Faragut was a destroyer, first totally new destroyer built after WWI. Named for David Farragut (naval hero).

Republic: unknown

Potemkin: Russian, though I believe it came from a fiction source - Comment: Russian Battleship involved in an early 20th century munity, prior to the 1917 Revolution.

Hood: British battleship in WW2, though was it a battlecruiser? - Comment: Battlecruiser sunk by the KMS Bismark. Terrible loss of life, and loss of a graceful, if fragile, ship.

Excalibur: I believe it came from a fiction source - Comment: King Authur's mystical sword.

Essex: American carrier in WW2

Kongo: Japanese battleship in WW2 I believe

Intrepid: American carrier in WW2 I believe

Exeter: British warship in WW2 I believe (don't recall type though) - Comment: British Heavy Cruiser, lost with ABDA (American, British, Dutch, Australian) naval forces in the pacific, some time after engaging the KMS Graf Spee at the River Platte.

End Quote - notes in body of quote...

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You surely mean River Plate, as in R�o de la Plata, on the Argentinian-Uruguaian coast.

More information about the sinking of the Graf Spee: http://www.ocean98.org/spee.htm

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, didn't visit the link, but this is what I got:

HMS Exeter - British cruiser under the command of Admiral Sir Henry Harwood that battled the German pocket battleship Graf Spee at the Battle of the River Plate in Montevideo, Uruguay, on December 13, 1939, causing Captain Hans Langsdorff to scuttle the German ship, resulting in the first German Navy loss of WWII. The Exeter was later sunk by Japanese forces in March 1942.

HMS Ajax, a British Navy cruiser also participated in this battle.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

mada101
Member # 1285

- posted      Profile for mada101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that the Defiant is named after the fictional ship HMS Defiant from the movie 'Damn the Defiant!' (1962).

--------------------
'Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you are probably right.'
- Henry Ford

StarCruiser
Member # 979

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Jonas:
You surely mean River Plate, as in R�o de la Plata, on the Argentinian-Uruguaian coast.

More information about the sinking of the Graf Spee: http://www.ocean98.org/spee.htm

I've seen it spelled both ways, but yes, same battle.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hood: British battleship in WW2, though was it a battlecruiser?

A battlecruiser.

I know we had a Defiance at one point but not sure about Defiant.

I wonder when the first HMS Enterprize/Enterprise was commissioned? It might be more appropriate to date 'the legend' from then. Asuming, of course, that records exist and someone's bothered to put them on the internet, or in a book. I for one am not going to trawl through the Public Records Office!

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A History of Ships Named Enterprise

It doesn't seem to have a definitive beginning, considering that the first ship listed was previously a French vessel named L'Enterprise. At the very least, we can celebrate 300 years of Enterprises next May.

B.J.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there has been any warship named Defiant, so the first one to come along would be in Star Trek.

Edit: Never mind, I just reread a previous post.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Potemkin: Russian, though I believe it came from a fiction source - Comment: Russian Battleship involved in an early 20th century munity, prior to the 1917 Revolution."

The mutiny was real, I think the Potemkin (pron. Poutchemkin) existed, though I haven't confirmed it.
Poor warships1.com that can't afford the bandwidth to show all the navies...

Also, the Galaxy-class USS Yamato, from the IJN Yamato, heaviest battleship of all time.
18in. guns...

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

After the first actual Enterprise (the shuttle orbiter, although that pic actually appears to be doctored from an Endeavour pic),

I can't find a picture on the Net, but the picture in the credits of ENT looks like the footage of the Shuttle Enterprise when it was rolled out for the initial public viewing. Present were several cast and crew from Star Trek.

Why go to the effort and expense of doctoring an image of Endeavour to appear like the Shuttle Enterprise when there are plenty of actual images already in the archives.

Perhaps this is a statement of our times. My step-son thought Porthos was a CGI dog. Why should we use reality for anything when CGI and fantasy will do?

Herb

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the actual signage of "Enterprise" in the wrong place on the footage used at the beginning of the show?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

StarCruiser
Member # 979

quote:
Originally posted by Nim the Fanciful:
"Potemkin: Russian, though I believe it came from a fiction source - Comment: Russian Battleship involved in an early 20th century munity, prior to the 1917 Revolution."

The mutiny was real, I think the Potemkin (pron. Poutchemkin) existed, though I haven't confirmed it.
Poor warships1.com that can't afford the bandwidth to show all the navies...

Also, the Galaxy-class USS Yamato, from the IJN Yamato, heaviest battleship of all time.
18in. guns...

The Potemkin was definitely real. It was named for Grigori Aleksandrovich Potemkin, a hero of Russia from the time of Catherine the Great.

http://www.potemkin.co.uk/about.htm

StarCruiser
Member # 979

It also appears that Defiant was an actual British wooden Ship of the Line that was used at some time, along with possibly a Frigate.

http://www.foapom.com/news/printarticle.asp?ID=92

There may have been an HMS Defiant involved in early radio testing:

http://www.geocities.com/gordonbathgateexperience/gradio.html

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Enterprise shuttle from the credits is a doctored pic. The name was never painted on that forward either in its initial appearance or after its modernization.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

StarCruiser
Member # 979

Further references:

History of HMS Exeter(s):

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/2576.html

There was at least one steamer named Republic:

http://home.att.net/~rstinchcomb/newreck/republic.html

There was apparently a submarine by the name Excalibur:

http://www.submarineheritage.com/gallery_eclass.htm

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps