Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » This date in history, the legend is born! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: This date in history, the legend is born!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought someone had said that the shuttle pic in the ENT credits had the TOS cast in it, making it the Enterprise. Was that not true?
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected.

Starboard side Enterprise Shuttle:
http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/luceneweb/fullimage.jsp

Shuttle from ENT opening credits:
http://www.neutralzone.de/database/PreFederation/SpaceShuttleEnterprise03a.htm

Enterprise Shuttle with Star Trek Celebs:
 -

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stealing from NASA! Way to nail the government baby! [Big Grin]
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nasa page shows a dead image for me...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I thought someone had said that the shuttle pic in the ENT credits had the TOS cast in it, making it the Enterprise. Was that not true?

I always thought that that was urban myth.

And not to nitpick the nixpicker, but don't the shuttles not have a definitive article in front of them when address by name? I thought that was the reasoning behind the NX-01 being called "Enterprise" and not "the Enterprise".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what's the deal with the big letters on the ENT intro shuttle? Just a silly way to make the name more readable on television?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Pwesty
Member # 1035

- posted      Profile for Pwesty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just looking at picture and see that our dear Captain in missing? Was he just to good to there? And also did you all know that in the late 70's and 80 that Nichelle Nichols was employed by NASA and was in charge of astronaut recruits and hopefuls. Most of the recruits that she launched were minority candidates of different races and/or ethnicities, as well as gender, like Guion Bluford (the first African American male astronaut), Sally Ride (the first female astronaut), Judith Resnick (one of the original female astronauts recruited by NASA, who perished during the launch of the Challenger on January 28, 1986), and Ronald McNair (another victim of the Challenger disaster). She lived in Houston, Texas during her years as a Johnson Space Center employee(IMDB)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"And not to nitpick the nixpicker, but don't the shuttles not have a definitive article in front of them when address by name?"

I think that's a rule that applies to all ships, actually. And I think it's seldom-observed by normal people.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a mention in Takei's autobiography about Shatner not showing up at the NASA ceremony - or Roddenberry's funeral either, for that matter.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first USS Constellation was the first warship commissioned into the US Navy, in 1797. I would assume that there wasn't a previous British ship with the same name, because the name refers to the "constellation" of stars on the US flag.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the Constitution the first? And why am I arguing this with a history major? [Razz]

(It occurs to me that the Constellation could have been the first warship, but I'm pretty sure that the Constitution was the first of her class.)

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the very first ship in the Continental Navy was named Alfred.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he does do a good job looking after Bruce.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burns cakes, though.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the "USF United States" was first - commissioning in July 1797.

USF Constellation didn't enter commission until September of that year, with USF Constitution commissioning in October 1797.

The other three "original frigates" didn't commission until after the Quasi-War with France.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.