Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Zero Hour (spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Zero Hour (spoilers)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Enterprise is better so far than TOS, and better in general than TNG or Voyager were by season 4 so that's my opinion.
Blasphemy you say?

Mabye, but I remember all the really horrid TNG episodes along with the really good ones.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ayre
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for Ayre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, TNG had a rocky start, that's for sure. I can indeed remember some early bombs, but the thing about TNG that got lost along the way was the really human element of things. You cared what happened to those people. DS9 stayed "Cool" during the war, but it lost a little of that people edge. Voyager went the other way and tried too hard to make us like the people by constantly going "SEE HOW YOU CAN IDENTIFY WITH THEM?!". Plus Voyager had the worst science out of them all, which takes a big bite out of SCIENCE fiction. Enterprise, I fear is really pushing hard like Voyager did. I won't say they're going too far, yet, but they're on the edge. Archer going for pussy-boy to eating Xindi gonads for breakfast, Emotional T'Pol. Trip, I think is the most believable character. Although he's also a poster-boy for the 5 stages of grief. I think Enterprise has potential to do stories well, but they're just not hitting it yet. They've got the right mix of characters, the right setting, and they're close, but just not nailing it.

--------------------
Wit is educated insolence

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TNG had a rocky end as well: season seven was terrible (with three or four great episodes among the shit).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TNG tried too hard to tighten up the loose ends.
Ayre
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for Ayre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But then on the other hand, DS9 left everything pretty much open. Geez, now that you pick on it, is there any good Trek?!

--------------------
Wit is educated insolence

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
TNG tried too hard to tighten up the loose ends.
That and the whole episode where the ship is transformed into some myan temple bullshit.
Or transformed into mutant animals....
Or children.
Or gunslinging Data.
Or Deanna's long-lost-dead-sister.
Or Crusher's "scottish ghost lover".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I liked Genesis. And Masks wasn't too bad when I last saw it...when I was like 10 I must admit. Then I even liked The Naked Now.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

When The Naked Now first aired, my best friend (also a big Trek geek) remarked, "Man, it's only the second episode and they're already out of ideas..."

Luckily that was not the case but it's something to remember when people gripe that Enterprise is just re-hashing old Trek.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was like two when The Naked Now first aired...

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was seven. i built a tractor beam thingy out of legos.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

So....your role model was Wesley Crusher.
It's all becoming clear now....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was seven. i built a tractor beam thingy out of legos.
I was 7 as well, but didn't really start watching it 'religiously' until "Relics", so that puts me about 12.

I built a cloaking device out of legos...after 10 years I still cant find the damned thing. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, TNG never got past being "Love Boat in Space". I kept watching in the hopes that they'd finally get a really good SF episode (like the best ones from TOS), but sadly it never happened.

DS9, OTOH had 3-dimensional characters (where TNG could have replaced most of the bridge crew with cardboard cutouts and it wouldn't have made too much of a difference) and was far more believable. The best episode ever, IMO, was "In the Pale Moonlight", only matched by "Far Beyond the Stars" (which, sadly, is a standalone episode rather than part of a bigger arc).

I only wish they had shown "Blakes' 7" and "Doctor Who" over here... they sound pretty interesting.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

"Far Beyond the Stars" is followed up, in part, in...the 2-part premiere of season 7. So it's not entirely stand alone, it was part of the lesser 'Prophet Arc'.

"Doctor Who", I believe, is for sale, on DVD, at fine retail establishments such as 'Best Buy', possibly Circuit City'.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"DS9, OTOH had 3-dimensional characters..."

Why three, particularly?

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps