Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Braga quits writing for Enterprise. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Braga quits writing for Enterprise.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mabye someday we'll get a complete version of Insurrection as a SE.

It was still far better than STII, V nad Generations IMHO.
The story flows much better and visually, it was great to see on the bigscreen.

quote:
He probably got the best dialogue anyone ever could out of the TNG crew.
Oh, I wouldnt say that: Shelby is a completely diffrent character in BOBW pt. II and Dr. Crusher's lines (and delivery) in pt.II are just...painful.

Picard urgently grabs Data's arm: "Sleeep...Data."
Dr Crusher: He's exhausted!"

Calculon would be proud of her.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Insurrection isn't particularly bad, in the sense that it's...you know, competant. Workmanlike. It's just so very, very boring.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if they had'nt chopped the starship fight scene to nothing......

Might've been nice if the VFX guys did'nt make the Son'a commndship fly backwards too... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who didn't realize, Michael Piller wrote the first part of "The Best of Both Worlds" with the intention of leaving the staff and moving on to other projects, thus sticking his co-writers with the job of figuring out how to resolve the cliffhanger. Obviously, things turned out differently...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is just a slight difference, thematically, between having The Bad Guys™ threaten to assimilate Earth and Life As The Average Utopian Knows It™ and stranding The Good Guys™ in some bizarro alternate reality populated by blueskinned freakazoid alien overlords posing as nazi officers. But maybe that's just me.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's got everyone wondering I guess. If he HAS dicked around with/sabotaged the whole thing buy leaving such an amibugous and baffling ending - he should be fired into the sun.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TBoBW1 had already established what was going on. If someone else had written part 2, all they had to do was have the crew sneak onto the cube, rescue Picard, and do something to blow up the cube. Which is what Piller ended up writing anyway.

On the other hand, in the alien Nazi story, nothing has happened yet. Whoever would write the next episode has to write the whole story. Except for certain constraints: the ship is suddenly in the '30s/'40s and there are blue alien Nazis. That seems like a much more difficult responsibility than the second half of "The Best of Both Worlds", don't you think?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not necessarily. Since, as you say, almost anything could happen next, even within the bounds of quality. (Which is to say, I don't mean "almost anything could happen next" to be a veiled insult of some kind.) Finishing a more established plot presents its own set of problems, but I wouldn't say they are more or less difficult, really.
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*is still waiting for Sol’s Braga apologia* [Smile] (because I more or less agree with TSN and want to see what Sol says) [Wink]
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with TSN. "TBoBW1" and "Zero Hour" are two very different forms of cliffhangers.

There were almost defined questions at the end of "TBoBWs" of what might happen. The way "Zero Hour" played out, sans the blue Nazi thing, it would have made for a better premiere than a finale, especially had they instead made "Countdown" the finale (with some retooling of course). "Countdown", at least, left you wondering how or if they were going to stop the 'weapon'...muchmore of the suspenseful "TBoBW" element to it than "Zero Hour" had.

"TBoBWs" was set up so much differently...with the cliffhanger leaving you wondering if Locutus will lead the Borg to defeating the Federation or will the deflector weapon work when the Enterprise fires it at the beginning of next season? Suspense, not confusion.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I agree about the "suspense, not confusion" issue. I was just pointing out the similarities in writing a cliffhanger and then sticking someone else with the job of writing the conclusion. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"'Countdown', at least, left you wondering how or if they were going to stop the 'weapon'..."

Well, not "if". I don't think there was much doubt, really.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Well, I don't know about that. No doubt that the Earth would somehow wind up undestroyed eventually, sure. But blowing up Earth only to have it be more crazy (and temporary) time travel/parallel universe fun to be resolved in the season premiere did not seem like an impossibility to me. (Though, to be fair, I didn't really expect that to happen.)

Re: Braga: I really need Tom here to back me up, but, in short: The only Star Trek writer willing to indulge in weirdness for weirdness' sake, in what has been otherwise a talented but fairly stolid writing staff over the years. Now when you work like that not all of your efforts are going to succeed, but the effort itself is valuable, in my opinion.

He was also the closest thing Star Trek has had to a writer with punk sensabilites, and I tend to respect that. (OK, so a pretty tame kind of punk, but come on.)

I have less to say about Braga as an executive producer, but to be honest I haven't seen many of his critics (including myself) display much knowledge of what an executive producer can really do or not do on something like Star Trek. Is he really responsible for the general lacklusterness of Voyager? Well, maybe. Personally I liked the last few seasons a lot more than the first, overall, but it was still a terribly underwhelming show. So I don't know. I don't think Enterprise has most of Voyager's problems (though it does seem to have a few), so make of that what you will.

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something to consider when thinking about what they'll do with the cliffhanger ending of season 3.

When asked if they knew who the mystery dude from the future was who was engineering the Suliban part of the temporal cold war was, the producers replied we have some very promising ideas or something along those lines.

Take that information any way you want.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recommended first scene of S4 premiere:

INTERIOR - Nazi hospital

Archer, drifting in and out of consciousness, his face bloody and burned, looks up at his captors.

(Show pan of Nazis that ended Season 3)

ARCHER: "Ack! Blue Alien Nazi! WTF!?!?!?"

Archer wipes his eyes. Show pan of Nazis again, with the blue one replaced by your average run of the mill Nazi.

ARCHER: "Oh, nevermind. Hey, WAIT, NAZIS, WTF?!?!"

NAZIS: "Ja, eaten mein Scheisse!"

ARCHER: "Oh, boy!"

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps