Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Why do we call him "Future Guy"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why do we call him "Future Guy"?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone on the Web seems to be referring to that shadowy humanoid figure as "Future Guy", but that name has never been used on screen. I'm guessing that Berman or Braga once used that name in an interview around the time that "Broken Bow" came out... but can anyone please point me to a source for that? 'Twould be useful to point out the origin of the nickname in the Memory Alpha article that I'm contributing to.

Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's simpler than "Shadowy Advisor to the Suliban Who Happens to be from the Future," I suppose.
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good question. Who started with the "Future Guy" name. I don't even remember when I first saw, was probably here.

BTW, is he still on Enterprise? Or have they moved on from the whole Suliban temporal cold war? Last I heard about Enterprise they were after some other race called the Xindi.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's a guy, he's from the future
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
He's a guy, he's from the future

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it could've been me. I started calling him "Evil FutureGuy" or "EFG" when we were yammering about "Broken Bow", and stuck to it. Could have been independent of "Future Guy", or not. I called him that because I was was watching "Undergrads" religiously at the time, and was adopting Cal's mannerisms much to the annoyance of my friends.

Mark <---slurp

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
Hunter uses it here, on July 5, 2001.

The Tom uses "Future Guy" here, on September 10, 2001.

--------------------
Meh

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me be more specific, then... I'm pretty sure that the nickname "Future Guy" has been used by someone from Paramount -- probably Braga, but that's just a guess. The reason I suspect that is because of the huge range of people who call him that, from Trek Today to Cinescape and everyone in-between.

I did google the exact phrase "Future Guy", but I haven't found any useful pages yet, unfortunately.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Undoubtedly there is a site that chronicles the term "Future Guy". Marvellously useful information that is.

Like the Hellfire Club and parlour games.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He was named by Mulder and Scully right after they named "Cigarette Smoking Man"

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Later changed to simply "Cancer Man" (as though Phillip Morris had a corperate superhero).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to wander a little further afield.. I wonder is 'The Smoking Man' character, in X-Files, actually had an effect on cigarette sales, for or against (depending on the fan).

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, his "Morley's" brand was fictional, so it didn't help them.

--------------------
Meh

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
Earliest mention I could find is from KalElFan on rec.arts.startrek.current, dated 2000/04/05.
link

[ June 27, 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Topher ]

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
(Sorry, I tried but apparently the only way the link works is by placing the whole URL as the link text. Attempting to use URL= tags screws the whole thing up)
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps