Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Spiner talks about Enterprise (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Spiner talks about Enterprise
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I liked Masks.

"Mishaka is COMING...!" [Smile]

It wasn't BAD, it wasn't "Shades of Grey" or "Too Short a Season" or "Threshold" or "Favourite Son" or "Muse" or "Rivals".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Even episodes like "A Night in Sickbay" far outshine almost any "holodeck adventure" IMHO.
Although I normally stay out of these discussions (because I don't watch the show), I'm going to jump in and disagree with that. "A Night in Sickbay" is one of the few episodes I've actually seen, and I would sit through all the holodeck eps of TNG, VOY, and DS9 combined, with "Q-Pid" as an aperitif, before watching it again.

However, for all my dislike of the show, I freely admit that ENT has had some damn good writing here and there among the crap. "Fortunate Son," for instance. Or Reed & Archer's scenes in "Minefield." And that Admiral's speech in "Broken Bow," about wading in the ocean of space, still brings a lump to my throat--and not just for the show's wasted potential.

It has been my impression that the ratio of crap to good writing is higher on ENT than on TNG. But then, I've only seen about a dozen episodes.

Marian

PS: I liked "Masks" too. "Ooh, Gilgamesh in Space!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the episode, but I liked the design of the of the icons and of the mask that Data made.

"A line as the unending horizon. A curve as the setting sun...."

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
PS: I liked "Masks" too. "Ooh, Gilgamesh in Space!"

It was NOT Gilgamesh in space.

No.

I remembered Spiner saying "Koegano" because he uses such a strange tone of voice when he says it...good acting on Spiner's part but really bad acting on everyone else's.
The ship being converted into some temple thing and no one seems terribly concerned....theres no sense of urgency or drama at all in the entire episode.
Though not as bad as Shades of Gray or Threshold, it's pretty damn bad.

Also on my list of bad TNG is the episode where Worf becomes paralized....when it first aired, I immeadeately said "He'll be just fine by next week" and, of course, he was.

Possibly no TNG episode reeks as bad as the one with Luxwana showing Alexander the mudbaths on the holodeck..(shudder)...better the entire series had been spontaneously cancelled than to have made that steaming pile of crap.

Marian, you should really download some of Enterprise's season three...there's some really great episodes and performances there.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QPid was funny though, so that was okay. And was it even a holodeck adventure? Didn't Q just create it all?

Rivals was okay too. The plot was far too silly to take with anything but a tonne of salt, and the O'Brien/Bashir stuff was nice.

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I said I liked the sets.

Suuuuuure you did.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rivals had Prince Humperdink in it... So I'm ok with it. Plus, it's the first time we found out the name of Guninan's race. Also, the scene where Sisko and Dax phaser all the little machines wasd cool.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did. In fact I'm rather fond of "Masks" generally. It had this funny atmosphere. There was the germ of a good idea in there somewhere, let down by the overall suckiness. Like when Data is by the fire channelling all the different aliens. Some of them were your basic Spiner Acts Manic characters, but others like the old cold one were well done.

And I feel I should mention that ep, granted not a Picard one really, with that holodeck Colony of Individuals or whetever they were. Christ, the ep was already going to suck because it had Lwaxana Troi in it, then they went and outdid (or should that be underdid?) themselves on the awfulness front.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Korgano the moon dude that Picard impersonated?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, that holodeck one with Worf's brother was indeed craptackular.

As was the episode whith Luxwana trying to convince the guy from M.A.S.H. not to kill himself.
Somehow they managed to waste an entire episode on her wailing.....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the one you mean is the one where Worf's brother transports the aliens from their doomed planet using a holodeck. Although that one sucked too. The one I mean is where Lwaxana has lots of mudbaths with Alexander on the holodeck. That REALLY sucked.

"Half A Life" can be summed-up thus:

Major Winchester: Hey I'm old, time to die.
Lwaxana Troi: That sucks!
Major Winchester: Yeah, you're right. Actually, I suppose I'd better anyway.
Lwaxana Troi: Oh, OK.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Half a Life wasn't THAT bad - it marked a turning point in Lwoxana episodes. Her best episode is the DS9 season 1 episode of hers... "The Forgotten"?? "Muse" and "Fascination" are among DS9's worst though.

"Half a Life" and "Dark Page" are good TNG Lwaxana episodes. Oh - Menage a Troi was good for a larf.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Back to Spiner's comment - do yo think it was a dig at the fans... that the plastic figurines would enjoy it than the cynical Star Trek fan? I'd say he'd still be bitter over Nemesis. Can't he and Stewart just admit they shouldn't have stuck their fingers in the pie. They ruined the movie. I.e. stick to acting and not Producing/Writing the movie.

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't the production or writing... or even the directing. It was the lousy editing and the scheduled release date.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Nemesis even made a profit. Lord of the Rings totally destroyed it.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for the context of his comment: I still think he was serious and is a nerd.

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps