Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Spiner talks about Enterprise (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Spiner talks about Enterprise
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...a nice line between Worf and riker about Romulan honor....showing that Worf at least developed since TNG."

We had four years of DS9 that did a much better job of showing character development in Worf than a single line in a movie.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and remember how Nemesis insightfully provided in depth, thought provoking revelations about the rich tapestry of Geordi and Dr. Crusher's lives..

(he's staying, she's leaving.. )

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As opposed to STII-VI that developed so much backstory on Sulu, Chekov and (the still first-nameless) Uhura.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uhura got to flirt with Scotty, and perhaps do a naked sand dance for him. An come on... that's more important than a silly first name.

Why was Crusher leaving the ship again? Wasn't it something stupid having to do with Starfleet Medical again?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the dialogue about her leaving was among the dropped scenes....she got even less mention in the actual film.

No great loss, but it made the movie focus even tightly on the old Picard/Data team-up that could've been expected when the actors playing those parts are give a maesure of creative control.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"As opposed to STII-VI that developed so much backstory on Sulu, Chekov and (the still first-nameless) Uhura."

Well, technically, they weren't main characters in the first place. The show was meant to be about Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

TNG, on the other hand, was never intended to be "The Picard/Data Hour".

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...yeah.

Oh Jason - sorry buddy but you are running a losing battle.

You are trying to argue the merits of a film based on tech and not on the quality of the film i.e. it's story/plot, acting, direction etc.

If you want to hold Nemesis up in the tech departement - how about Riker going to fight the Viceroy on a Deck two below the number that the E-E has... THEN dropping down a number of other decks before the Viceroy falls to his death down a long shaft - i.e. this all should take place out side of this ship they have gone down so many decks!

Just a few things on your tech points - Klingons and Praxis. Klingons and Kronos etc. The Klingons clearly have a centralised society. See tech arguments don't work.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - had a great story, it had the tradition Trek commentary on humanity. It had something for ALL the regulars to do. It was suspensful. It was fun. It still had the spirit of the Original Series. It passed the torch nicely to TNG. (There should have been none of that in Generations). The Effects were great, the score was great - Non fans could identify and enjoy the movie (I was not a 'trekker' when I saw it - I really had no idea of Trek - but I *loved that film*.) It really blew me away. It was a mature, intelligent, thought-provoking, fun, exciting space adventure. And most of all... it had heart.

Nemesis was a tired, cliched, boring, plodding, wooden, murky, emotionally bankrupt, directionless, pastiche of a movie that clearly has signs of 'too many cooks'.

The movie would have made a half-bad two hour episode of Voyager.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Ohh......I dont know, Andrew.
Nemesis was bad.

....but STVI just gets worse and more hackened with age.
It's overly militaristic and xenophobic view of Starfleet is something that really bugs me as well: it just is not what it was about in TOS.
(or what you'd expect anyone from that crew to say- not just Kirk).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Ohh......I dont know, Andrew.
Nemesis was bad.

....but STVI just gets worse and more hackened with age.
It's overly militaristic and xenophobic view of Starfleet is something that really bugs me as well: it just is not what it was about in TOS.
(or what you'd expect anyone from that crew to say- not just Kirk).

Well, wasn't the time Like that? TMP ear wasn't supposed to be warm and cuddly like the first 2 seasons of TNG. assuming losely that the novels written at the time, any that covers that specific time, might be a clue to the nature, temperment and political leanings of the Federation at the time.

and throw in any non cannon events from Star Fleet Battles while your at it. sometime to justify STVI...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Nooo....I'll not site anf SFB nonsenmse to make an argument.

I refer to how Gene's "bright future" of equality from TOS starkly contrasting the coldwar naval warfare mentality of STII-VI.
Looks like the republicans took over the Federation arounf TMP.

Not that it can't work as a story, but really it dates the material in the 80's.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of like how 9/11 Enterprise already feels outdated [Wink]
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But season three ENT is the best Trek ever! Nobody speaks ill of season three ENT and lives! NOBODY!
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or TOS and its space hippies and black-white guys.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Space hippies were alway pretty bad but the black and white guys are still pretty cool.

The only Enterprise episode (of season three) that'll stick in people's craw in future years is the one with the extremists taking over the ship with their suicide bombs.

I was actually impressed that they avoided a lot more direct comparisons with the headlines.
For the most part, Archer and crew went there to resolve things peacefully and were'nt out for payback.
The Xindi were'nt fanatics and they were'nt under any sort of ditatorship to be overthrown.....
Thankfully.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps