Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ Sie kamen aus die Zukunft! $$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: $$ Sie kamen aus die Zukunft! $$
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Initiative foiled the Nazi Vampire project.
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
The misuse of tanks is only a minor nuisance compared to the complete impossibilty of Hitler invading the United States.

Oh, I know, but I think I already mentioned that (though maybe it wasn't here... I think it may have been on the soc.history.what-if NG, where people agree on the impossibility of a successful Operation Sea Lion -the invasion of the British Isles-, so invading the U.S. would be considered even more impossible, if there's such a thing as relative degrees of impossibility)

(oh, and Sturmtigers aren't tanks, they are assault guns/tank hunters) [Wink]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But if he had help? Say, from aliens? From the future?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wouldn't Hitler turn on the aliens? since theyre obviously not of the master race.. or can prove that he isn't
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they got rid of Hitler and put that guy from Justice League in charge
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But still that leaves the Soviet Union and the UK to worry about. Or am I supposed to believe that Stalin and Churchill were also replaced by VAMPIRES FROM SPAAAAACE?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
(oh, and Sturmtigers aren't tanks, they are assault guns/tank hunters) [Wink]

For the record, Sturmtigers were 'self propelled guns'...more specifically a modified Tiger I tank chassis with a mounted naval 380 mm RTg launcher. A mean fucker.

Flakpanzers would have been an ideal choice for resolving whatever the hell started this tangent.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you're supposed to believe that this is an alternate timeline, in which (no doubt to the aliens' advice and behind-the-scenes assistance, who would have the hindsight of our modern historians and then some) the war proceeded in a different fashion than as we know. Perhaps Hitler never broke his nonagression pact with Stalin. Perhaps the Luftwaffe *was* successful in winning the Battle of Britain. And so on...

I hardly think it appropriate to argue about whether any of this could have really happen in real life, when the whole premise of the episode is that history has been ALTERED, and what's more, altered by outside beings with likely-superior technology and a knowledge of what the long-term results of specific strategic/tactical decisions will be.

And as for Americans being obsessed with the Nazis, you've got to keep in mind that they were just about the greatest enemy we ever fought, in the biggest (and some would say, the most glorious) war. And their "take over the world in the name of the master race" plot makes them perfectly suited as comic book/sci-fi villains.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"And as for Americans being obsessed with the Nazis, you've got to keep in mind that they were just about the greatest enemy we ever fought, in the biggest (and some would say, the most glorious) war."

Well, I'd think that would apply more to Europe. We ought to be more obsessed with Japan. After all, they're the ones who actually attacked us. And it took longer to beat them than Germany (at least in terms of how long the US fought each).

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate Star Trek for inventing Nazis and timelines where the Nazis won.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

But the Japanese were more or less Hitler's underlings. (Though admittedly less so than the Italians.) And they were latecomers to the war, whose impetus lay in Germany and the aftermath of the previous world war. And the battles fought with them were almost entirely out in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, not the farms and cities of the populated world. While they were the ones who attacked us, everyone pretty much agreed that Germany was actually the bigger threat in the grand scheme of things. (Hence why the Atlantic/European front was made our priority from the get-go.)

Besides, Pearl Harbor was just our "excuse" to officially enter the ful-blown war. We had already been not-so-covertly aiding the fight against Germany for quite some time beforehand.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

quote:
But the Japanese were more or less Hitler's underlings.
This is so wrong.

But accurate descriptions of the war are likely to spill over the hard drives of our server, so can't we all agree to go read one of the $BIGNUMBER (I totally stole that from people who know about computers or Unix or FORTRAN or something) books published about it, or watch the WWII Channel?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

All right, let me clarify: In the PERCEPTION of the general public at the time and today, the Japanese were more or less Hitler's underlings.

I also might point out that using the "evil Japanese" would be construed as racist, while using "evil Nazis" would be just the opposite.

--------------------

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps you're supposed to believe that this is an alternate timeline, in which (no doubt to the aliens' advice and behind-the-scenes assistance, who would have the hindsight of our modern historians and then some) the war proceeded in a different fashion than as we know. Perhaps Hitler never broke his nonagression pact with Stalin. Perhaps the Luftwaffe *was* successful in winning the Battle of Britain. And so on...
It really all depends on the level of technology the aliens give the Nazis. An invasion accross the Atlantic using 1940s technology would be nigh-on impossible I'd think. Not to mention the state of troops who's just spent however many days crossing an ocean. They'd hardly be in the best shape for mounting an invasion.

As for why the Nazis were used (again), it's simply because they're instantly recongnized by most people as being evil. It saves time as they don't have to do much to establish that the aliens are not nice. Just show them in a Nazi uniform.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We ought to be more obsessed with Japan.
we are obsessed. or have you not seen Macross Zero lately? or Love Hina? Gundam SEED? Kitty Grade? Akira?

and if any of you [Big Grin] fucks [Big Grin] talks shit about Zero, i will offer complimentory skull fucks for the slight [Mad]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps