Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ Sie kamen aus die Zukunft! $$ (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: $$ Sie kamen aus die Zukunft! $$
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the time Germany could have presumably won the air war, the Japanese would have brought the Americans into the war. Who knows...

It would have been extremely hard for the Americans to enter the war in Europe, or for Germany to attack the Americans. For the US to attack Germany, their only viable route would have been to land a great deal of forces in Africa and push the Germans and Italians out then proceeding to invade Italy. However, German U-boats could have prevented this because of the lack of airsupport which the allies required to protect themselves from U-boats.

Out of the two, if Britain was knocked out of the Germany has it much easier. It's obvious that the US would attempt to land somewhere, Europe itself being to well defended, Britain being a trap--- only Norway and Africa would have been viable and easy invasion points--- Africa more likely of the two. So Germany would know what to defend. But I don't remember anything about US forces even being moved to Greenland once it's protection was transfered to them. And I doubt, if there were US forces in Greenland, those forces would have amounted to much or even been watching all of Greenland's coast line. Germany has it much easier to start their invasion than the US does.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When in fuck does this air anyway?
I grow weary of avoiding every *SPOILER* thread in existance.

I save that hell for Andrew.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the U.S., October 8th.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kool...I have til then to decipher the non-sensical workings of my VCR's programming.

My current theory of it's operation: magic.
Blackest magic at that.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Kool...I have til then to decipher the non-sensical workings of my VCR's programming.

My current theory of it's operation: magic.
Blackest magic at that.

Thayan? Sharian? Cyrist? Banite?

*blinks* sorry, was having a Forgotten Realms moment, Jason.

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by J:
quote:
I'm disappointed... I didn't hear a single critique of my speculation on Germany attacking North America during WWII--
How about this: it wouldn't happen not because it couldn't, but because Hitler had bigger fish to fry.

Americans tend to have an exaggerated opinion of their role in WWII. But the U.S. didn't defeat the Nazis, the Soviet Union did. They had a little help from the West, sure, but for every division the Wermacht threw into the ETO, it had ten on the Eastern Front. And while there were a few exceptions, most of the Nazi forces in the ETO consisted of reservists, old men, and Hitler Youth units.

If aliens had reinforced Nazi Germany, Hitler wouldn't have gone right off and conquered the U.S. because he wouldn't want to. He'd be hiking his fanny off east and having another go at Moscow.

There, you have a critique. Happy? [Big Grin]

Marian

This random sig quote is brought to you by The Order Of The Stick:
"Now you listen to me, young man, you will drink the blood of the innocent, and you will LIKE IT. And would it kill you to dress all in black once in awhile?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Of course, said aliens may have destroyed the Soviet Union orbitally for all we know, allowing the Germans to invade the US with the help of giant spacecraft that moved their entire army in one day.

Or not.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't Hitler's plan to ultimately take over the entire world? (Ironically, this was also Stalin's.)

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and Alexander the Great...and KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNN!!!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Wasn't Hitler's plan to ultimately take over the entire world? (Ironically, this was also Stalin's.)

Actually, no. His most important goal was to create a German Lebensraum in (Eastern) Europe, and cleaning that Lebensraum from 'Untermenschen'. The whole North-Africa business began with the Germans defending Italian assets that came under attack from England. And Hitler didn't have the faintest clue about America. He changed his mind a few times about what to think of Americans and the Nazis were largely ignorant of America's power.

That's not to say Stalin and Hitler woulnd't have been content with being leader of the world...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone read Fatherland by Robert Harris? Excellent book. Link. Because I can't be bothered to summarise the plot.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only seen the movie, alas. Stupid schedule.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm joining this discussion a little late, but I've got a few points that haven't been addressed so far:

First and foremost, MANPOWER. Just how the fuck does anyone think Germany could launch a successful invasion of both the Soviet Union and America while they're outnumbered something like 10:1 in terms of population? We know that the TCW aliens are supposed to be laying low (so that most of the world doesn't know of their interference), so the weaponry can't have affected things too much.

I agree that Britain is the key turning point in Germany's fortunes, and the key to keeping the eventual American invasion of Europe at bay. However, Germany didn't have the infrastructure and logistical establishment to launch a cross-Channel invasion of Britain, even if the Battle of Britain was decided in Germany's favor. The simple fact is that Germany wasn't equipped for an amphibious assault, period.

How the heck were the Germans able to launch a successful trans-Atlantic amphibious assault, anyway? There's literally no staging areas (aside from Greenland or Bermuda, which are both pretty damn far from the US coast) from which the Germans could launch their attacks. All of the Allied assaults succeeded because they were launched from relatively near the target -- England and N. Africa, plus nearby islands in the massive archipelagos of the W. Pacific. There's nothing comparable on the North American/Atlantic side of the world.

Moving on, let's just suppose that Germany actually COULD launch an invasion of North America. Just what the hell were the Americans doing while Germany was landing on their shores? Unless America wasn't even in the war at that point (i.e. Germany launched an unprovoked attack) then there's no reasonable way that a prepared defending army would be able to lose THAT much territory in such a short space of time.

The most fatal flaw in all this is the timing. There's a finite window of opportunity in which the aliens could have started their interference -- not before 1933 or 1934, when the Nazis seized power and started implementing their policies. Any sooner than that, and things would've been changed far too much from our own timeline. And the later the aliens started intervening, the less time the Germans would have to make all their territorial gains. 1944, my ass.

I think that B&B need to take some remedial history classes. They know the facts, but their lack of understanding of history quite frankly sickens me.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
I've only seen the movie, alas. Stupid schedule.

The book is far better. Just for a change. [Razz]

quote:
Moving on, let's just suppose that Germany actually COULD launch an invasion of North America.
It's not even an invasion of North America though. From those graphics in the preview it looked to be an invasion of the US east coast. Which makes it even more implausible.

quote:
I think that B&B need to take some remedial history classes. They know the facts, but their lack of understanding of history quite frankly sickens me.

Absolutely.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully the episode will at least touch this point, but why the hell would anyone want Hitler in charge of the world? He's a completely unreliable madman. He has no need for allies, no need for anyone besides the German people. And if it's just a way to get rid of humans in space, there are FAR easier ways to accomplish the same. The Borg certainly had a better plan.

And I'm pretty sure Braga just came up with this idea while masturbating to the History Channel or something.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps