Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $Map in S4 opener$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $Map in S4 opener$
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That German map in the first episode that is on the wall, that a few people were talking about. The Nazis have taken over the top-right of the USA - all the way up to the boarder with Canada. They were stopped in Canada?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those PMS-y female Canadian-border officers would make any world dictator-hopeful turn, tuck tail and run...this, of course, is speaking from experience.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they couldn't drive in the snow.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also likely that they signed a non-agression pact with Canada, or that Canada declared itself neutral or capitulated along with Britain.

There was huge fuss made about an American counterattack. Well, DUH... I mean, who the hell would take on a numerically superior force, and think they can get away with it after simply occupying their captial and NE states? As it stands, to occupy everything West of Germany AND THEN to come over to North America and invade, the Nazis MUST have had a substantially larger army than in "our" timeline, or else Vosk and company would have helped them out somehow, as I've posited before.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or the Germans used USA Today weather maps to invade with and they didn't realise that Canada was there.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
Or they had already taken Canada and the maps are showing their progress into the U.S. only...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely, a majority of the American audience is unaware that Canada fought in World War II and therefore would not understand why the Nazis would've invaded Canada.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, it's just not important to the story. What does it matter what deployment plan the Nazis followed? The relevent part is that they're THERE. That's the situation the characters have to deal with. Most people aren't interested in hearing a tactical analysis of how it happened. That isn't what the story is about.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but who on this board qualifies as "most people", anyway?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to part II, Britain was taken, so one could assume that its colonies may have gone the same way.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Canada was taken, wouldn't they be coming in all over the Northern US though?
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
According to part II, Britain was taken, so one could assume that its colonies may have gone the same way.

Why? They're not continentally contiguous and in real life the Nazis didn't do that to French or Dutch colonies. In any case, Canada was a Dominion with it's own foreign policy by then.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on what year this was supposted to have taken place, consider that Canada was not as easy to take as the US.
Canada during the war had up to a million man army, 4th largest Navy, and a 250,000 strong Airforce.
Now consider that there is only one real way to take Canada from Europe, up the St. Lawrence, a very narrow channel guarded by the 4th largest Navy, a million plus men and a considerable airforce. Not so easy pickings.
If this took place pre 1941, then the USA would have been not prepared for war yet, whereas the Canadians had already had a battle hardened force with which the Nazi would have to contend.
The USA also has a very wide seaboard for landing spots, making it easier to invade.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, this was an alternate timeline and things may have bbe different.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the shift took place in 1916 with a failed October Revolution, so anything regarding Canada would have pretty much been the same.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps