Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The three-episode arc - does it work? [Potential Spoilers]

Author Topic: The three-episode arc - does it work? [Potential Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had the "Soong Trilogy", which is meant to be indicative of the new writing style of this show. This sort of tightly-written arc really hasn't been done since DS9's "Circle" trilogy in the second season... DS9's later season "arcs" were more about the general focus and not a particular, dedicated story. Babylon 5 rarely did this either.

So... Is it working? I think I enjoyed this three-parter as much, if not better than "Circle". Thoughts?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still seemed a bit flabby to me - as if there wasn't enough to fill three eps, but too much to cram into a double-ep without seeming too busy. After to going to all that trouble to introduce Dr. Lucas they could have done more with him. I'm not writing off the format quite yet, I'll reserve final judgement until we see the Vulcan trilogy (and the Andorian trilogy after that).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But there are two aspects to it "working," it seems to me. 1.) Is it good storytelling (assuming we can agree on what good means), which is important, but perhaps ultimately less so than 2.) Has it helped the show pick up viewers, or at least cease losing them?

I'm sure someone is keeping track of the latter, but I don't know where to look.

OK, I guess a quick scan of various Trektoday headlines suggests a cautious yes.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually kinda like it, this kind of "local" continuity seems to work well on Enterprise, especially since its kind of hopeless at this point for them to tie together everything from the series opener anyways.

Its a nice change from the standard cliffhanger, resolution.

Off the top of my head, I can only remember the Messages From Earth/Point of No Return/Severed Dreams trilogy (i.e. "This begins the three-episode mini-arc within the larger arc that, by its conclusion, totally changes the structure of the B5 universe. A mega-wham episode.") as an example in Babylon 5, but I could be wrong. Well there's the Babylon 4 trilogy, but thats a weird one.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly think the Andorian trillogy will be incredible and im really looking forward to it. Im liking the format so far.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps