Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ "Affliction" to explain a loooooot of stuff? [Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ "Affliction" to explain a loooooot of stuff? [Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://trekweb.com/articles/2004/11/24/41a4a3d824586.shtml

Klingons! Columbia! Rigel! Oh my!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about those sabre-toothed turtle guys in TMP? Those were Rigelians. And we also had Kaylar from "The Cage", and Bones' cabaret girls from Rigel II. And we know that the Rigelians from V are Vulcan-like people.

Oh well. Rigel is a fun place, and the more species calling themselves Rigelian, the better. Let's just hope that they aren't boring nose-piece aliens. Or Westmore-aliens made up of whatever scrap latex is lying around. I want a carefully designed alien...

Wait a minute. I forgot to comment on the most important ridiculous thing in these rumours: THE FOREHEADS.

My god. They are actually going to show us TOS-like Klingons for the rest of ENT!? I love this ridiculous sprint towards TOS!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So Worf didn't want to discuss that with Odo, Bashir, and O'Brien?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if these spoilers are true then the plague was the Klingons' own doing. The fact that they created a plague that altered their physiology, and then it took them a good 200 years to fix that problem would probably be a sore spot.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is all true, then I'm banking on the solution to this plague will take some time to implement (so we'll still see bumpy Klingons later on if necessary), and then some time to revoke by the time it's all done. Will it be that they won't find a cure until after TOS ends, and everyone's back to normal by the time of TMP?

Better than intentionally breeding and army of human-Hlingon hybrids, if you ask me...

Speculation has it that this will be Enterprise's last season barring a drastic increase in ratings (which aren't exactly materializing). Coto, with this in mind and basically free-reign over the show, is thus going full-speed to resolve as many of the ENT-TOS disparities as possible. Will he even try to rationalize the "boys only" captancies, or how bright colours and miniskirts will suddenly come back in vogue?

If this is the last Star Trek we'll see for a while, I'm quite satisfied we're going out on a river of fanboy spooge.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I'm thrilled with *everything* being resolved or explained in Trek like this. Next thing you know they will take the time to actually show what a Breen looks like or explain why there is a coincidence between the Klingons and Romulans both having Birds-of-Prey.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure hope the Breen have weird CGIy faces.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe those CGI aliens that attacked the ship back in season one and were never mentioned again were Breen.

"...or explain why there is a coincidence between the Klingons and Romulans both having Birds-of-Prey."

Yes, because naming a flying machine after a flying animal is surely something only one in a million billion trillion people would ever think of...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...which is really besides the point. Wise ass cracks aside, I was more referring to the whole scope of the backstory that the BoP was first a Romulan ship and since there seems to be this sudden need to write stories explaining things best left unexplored that and something equally unnecessary like showing the breen under the mask...or having Morn narrate an episode of DS9, seems to be an unnecessary, ya know?

The point is that there seems to be a sudden urgency to tie up each and every loose end in the Star Trek franchise in this season of Enterprise...and although they are good and interesting stories, thus far, they reek of desperation, in other words, you could almost say they are trying too hard - at least in my humble opinion - to fix everything in the ST universe. I'd rather see better character development of Hoshi, Mayweather and Phlox.

Then again, I think that stupid Klingon comment in "Trials...." should have never been made in the first place...

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's because you have a heart made out of coal.

(But, come on, that was great, and any insistance that a great line needs to be passed over because of some at-best sketchy notion of consistancy is, to use a cliche, putting the cart before the horse. Or at least that's how I feel in this case.)

Re: Breen: I was being a bit facetious, but, were they to be unmasked, the stranger the better. However, to be nitpicky, the aliens Tim mentions have weirdo legs and bulbous heads, whereas the Breen seem to have normal humanoid bodies.

Now I would, in a wholly unironic way, like to see more of the Tholians.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"...the Breen seem to have normal humanoid bodies."

Unless that's what they want you to think...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

So with this Klingon "affliction", the big question they are going to need to answer is how they *all* get it being spread all over the quadrant and stuff...

..and yes, more Tholians...and I guess Orions and Tellarites would been a good choice, at least before tehy got into the Romulans. The Tellarites are supposed to be major players in the Federation and we have seen ZERO politics of that race.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who says they *all* got it. We saw, what, maybe 30 Klingons total during the entire run of TOS? I doubt that's a signifant portion of their number.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A biogenic plague that altered the whole Klingon species woul be expected to be common knowledge, surely? So of the people in that scene with Worf in "Trials. . ." - Odo, O'Brien and Bashir - you'd expect at least one of them to have heard about it, definitely Bashir for one.

If only one part of the race was affected that would make the episode more obscure, and adds to potential reasons why it's not discussed with outsiders. Especially if the Klingaugments were superior to ordinary Klingons (physically and/or mentally), or were looked down on by ordinary Klingons (from a caste/class/racial purity perspective), or both.

Remember that Dax - who knew the K-gang in the past when they would have been Klingaugments, and still knew them in the 'present' when they're ordinary Klingons - wasn't there for that scene, so we don't know what she knows about the episode. As an honourary Klingon she may know the full story but abide by the proscription against talking about it.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Who says they *all* got it. We saw, what, maybe 30 Klingons total during the entire run of TOS? I doubt that's a signifant portion of their number.

"Errand of Mercy". An entire invasion force landed on Organia. Clearly all Smoothies.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps