Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ "Affliction" to explain a loooooot of stuff? [Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ "Affliction" to explain a loooooot of stuff? [Spoilers]
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Clearly"? I don't think we ever saw more than about 5 or 6 Klingons together at once, did we?

And even if we do assume that the invasion force numbered in the thousands, that's still a tiny percentage of their total population. Plus there could be additional reasons why the only Klingons Kirk ever met were smooth headed (perhaps they became dominant in the military, or some such).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I challenge anyone to prove that the Tellarites have ever been described as a "major" Federation species outside of idle speculation from the 1970s.

(Not that I'd have any objection to showing them as such. But this is one of those things that people include within their own, uh, personal Star Trek view with seemingly little prompting from the show itself.)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kai Winn mentioned 'important' worlds such as Earth, Vulcan, Andor, Tellar and Berengaria didn't she?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. And it's basically been a given ever since the Star Trek Technical Manual (or possibly earlier). There was never any reason to disagree with those early speculations.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, as Simon said, there was never any reason to agree with them either. There has been one mention of them in the context of them being a major race in 38 years That hardly counts as defintive proof (and if you wanted to be picky, it wouldn't be that hard to argue that Terrarites don't come from Tellar).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tellarites were prominant enough to be represented on admitting Corridan to the Federation (TOS Journey to Babel).
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They were one of 4 founding members of the Federation, that should speak for itself.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
But, as Simon said, there was never any reason to agree with them either. There has been one mention of them in the context of them being a major race in 38 years That hardly counts as defintive proof (and if you wanted to be picky, it wouldn't be that hard to argue that Terrarites don't come from Tellar).

You're right, the Terrarites probably come from Terrar.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"They were one of 4 founding members of the Federation, that should speak for itself."

Excuse me, sir, do you need directions? You look lost.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, traditionally, there are five founding members. Andor, Tellar, Vulcan, Earth and Alpha Centauri. Classic fandom has AC inhabited by Centaurians (some transplanted ancient Greeks or something). Canon has Alpha Centauri as an Earth colony. Extremely obscure semi-canon even has this colony (now independent) as a founding member of the Federation.

Err.. why are we talking about this?

We have to talk about KLINGON FOREHEADS. And Rigelians. But mostly about foreheads. Of Klingons.

They are going to dedicate 40 minutes of Star Trek to a forehead appliance.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about an angle on the bi-racial thing. What if there WHERE two races on Q'onos, like Earth's Humans and Neanderthals. what if, maybe, Khaless was of the Neanderthal race and now, smooth headed klingons have plastic surgery, as infants, to maintain the appearance of the ideal warrior, so they don't get laughed at in school.

Just as circumcision gains and loses popularity, maybe the augmentation lost favor, in the TOS era.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
How about an angle on the bi-racial thing. What if there WHERE two races on Q'onos, like Earth's Humans and Neanderthals. what if, maybe, Khaless was of the Neanderthal race and now, smooth headed klingons have plastic surgery, as infants, to maintain the appearance of the ideal warrior, so they don't get laughed at in school.

Just as circumcision gains and loses popularity, maybe the augmentation lost favor, in the TOS era.

Three words: Kang, Koloth & Kor

--------------------

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for Defiantly Running About     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.......who were smooth in TOS, and then, maybe, got their foreheads augmented after that when it became favourable again. In any case, why don't we all just shut up and hold our comments until they canonize something in Affliction??

--------------------
Silent enim leges inter arma.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Excuse me?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I challenge anyone to prove that the Tellarites have ever been described as a "major" Federation species outside of idle speculation from the 1970s.

(Not that I'd have any objection to showing them as such. But this is one of those things that people include within their own, uh, personal Star Trek view with seemingly little prompting from the show itself.)

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Well, traditionally, there are five founding members. Andor, Tellar, Vulcan, Earth and Alpha Centauri.

Come on. His post was, what, 6 posts above yours? Surely you can't have forgotten it already?

In any event, I'm not sure that Tellerites voting in "Journey to Babel" is any indication of whether they were a founding member anyway. Unless we're saying that only the founding members of the Federation get a say in who joins up or not (which seems a bit elitest).

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps