Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Series V uniform/ship/title info (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Series V uniform/ship/title info
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd fourth that if I had the time.

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gotta love the TNG Episode Guide

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DS9 last seasons had some good episode names (and no, I'm not going to list them )

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does "BOTF" mean?

Never mind. Birth of the Federation, right?

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited May 17, 2001).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I BOTF, you BOTF, we BOTF, I have BOTFed.

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, BOTF outta here! 8)

------------------
Phasers

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One-Word titles from TOS:
The Apple
Arena
The Cage
Catspaw
Court-Martial (not quite one word, I know)
The Empath
Miri
Obsession

And that's all! Only about 10%. I think TOS titles were usually pretty imaginative and evocative. Of course, 1-word titles for movies weren't as common in the 1960s as they are today.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget these TOS episodes:

The Menagerie (Parts I and II)
The Changeling
Metamorphosis

You'd also have to triple the number of episodes if we were talking about two word+'the' episodes.

------------------
"Asteroids do not concern me, Admrial. I want that ship, not excuses."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DS9's would have been even more interesting if they had stuck with that Umbra-Penumbra-Eclipse cycle.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Penumbra-Umbra-Eclipse.

Hah.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were all the weird episode titles were Roddenberry's doing, because there doesn't seem to be any in ST anymore. They were cool, made you think about the episode a bit to see where the name came from or what had to be smoked in order to put 2 and 2 together.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be more difficult to come up with "cool" titles for the style of Star Trek we see today. For example the mundanity of space station life ( which we all held so dearly ) depicted in DS9 would make it more difficult to choose a title than in, say TOS, where the crew encountered something new and strange each episode. Also, maybe they're just running out of titles.

About the smooth forehead issue, hasn't it been established exactly what the story was? All I remember hearing about it was Worf saying "That is a Klingon matter". The conclusion I drew was that the Klingons cosmetically concealed their appearance in order to get some kind of advantage over the Federation. But this rumour that they'll be in the first ep of the new series, sporting their proper forehead attire screws that theory up because they supposedly crash land on Earth and wouldn't have a chance to alter themselves.
Maybe they could explain it by saying there was some kind of virus that caused the smooth foreheads?

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The idea that DS9 should have mundane titles is totally wrong. Its has GREAT TITLES. Its not the subject matter, its the writers/producers that decide the titles.

Its also got nothing to do with being one word - or having a 'the' in front. look at "The Changeling" - there is a mythological reference there - a changeling was a baby that was stolen by faeries or something along those lines. Look at what Nomad was...

And the Cage... Not only was Pike put in a Cage... he was and so was the girl - Caged in their minds by the Talosians. The Talosians were in their own Cage by not being able to be incontact with any other races/not able to build anything themselves etc.

Then look at "The Disease" from Voyager... I mean it just described that Harry get's this disease from this alien Chick! SHEESH!

or Basics... not BAD for Voyager but when you think about it, there is no depth - the crew didn't have Voyager - they were stranded they were back to Basics.

Then think about something like "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched the Sky" or "The Visitor" (Melanie and Ben and Jake Ahhhhhh) or "Inter Arna Enim Silent Leges" SP?? Or even "Unnatural Selection" or "DUET"!!!!!!

Hello Voyager with - "The Cloud" ugh.

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So?

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the episode title doesn't blow you away, it ruins the whole episode.

Oh, wait. No it doesn't.

------------------
"Adults Do Not Teach By Examples, But By Word Scams That Brainwash And Indoctrinate Their Children's Malleable Minds, Destroying Youth. Rote Education Corrupts Childhood, Forcing Children To Become Adults."
-Gene Ray

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.