Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Series V uniform/ship/title info (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Series V uniform/ship/title info
Xanthi
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well the first Star Trek episode I ever saw was Parturition (Voyager). Prior to that I would have been one of those people who wanted Star Trek gone off our TVs forever. But after watching that episode I realised how insightful the show really was. Most TV shows or movies about the future and space exploration portrayed it in a negative light but Star Trek was the complete opposite.

After that I was totally hooked. Even though I was still in high school I would stay up till midnight just so I could watch it. I never missed an episode from that time on. My love of Voyager led to an interest in DS9 which only grew through the years (I think the 6th season of DS9 had some of the best episodes ever), and also the Next Generation and the Original Series.

Voyager introduced me to it so I think it will always remain my favourite but now I have an appreciation for all things Trek.
As for being in love with Chakotay or Tuvok, maybe not, I was (and sometimes am) in love with Tom Paris instead

Just my thoughts

IP: Logged
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm sure that'll make some of the blokes here feel better about only watching the show because they fancy Seven. 8)

------------------
Phasers

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Kira and Jadzia and Ezri aren't chop sui...

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmm... Ezri...

*drool*

Andrew:

Then look at "The Disease" from Voyager... I mean it just described that Harry get's this disease from this alien Chick!

Yes, the disease in question being romantic infatuation. It's one of those things that can be taken two different ways, and thus a half-way creative title, though attached to an utterly crappy ep.

I like the titles on "Andromeda". They're almost always taken from old, little-known poems. "It's Hour Come 'Round at Last," "Under the Night," "An Affirming Flame." 'Course, then you have "Fear and Loathing in the Milky Way"...

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best titles have to be on the X-Files - always totally obscure. Early Voyager (seasons 1 & 2) started off that way, but got less imaginative over time.

------------------
Phasers

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Cloud!?!

Although

Caretaker
Ex Post Facto
Eye of the Needle
Phage
Time and Again
Heroes and Demons
Emenations
Elogium
Faces
Jetrel
Learning Curve
The 37's
Parturition
Cathexis
Prime Factors
State Of Flux
Non Sequitur
Persistance of Vision
Coldfire
Tattoo

here is where they turn into those insipid one word titles... with little charm

Initiations
Projections
Investigations
Resolutions
Maneuvres
Resistance
Remember
Alliances
Threshold
Meld

Then we do get a few nice ones back... Tuvix, The Thaw, Deadlock and Deathwish.

Look at this:

Initiations
Projections
Investigations
Resolutions
Emanations
Revulsion

a nice gap without the 'ions'

Then season seven:

Imperfection
Repression

------------------

Lee
Member # 393

You see my point. 8)

------------------
"If Morden is afraid of green penguins, and Draal is shown to have
access to them, a speculation would be that Draal will use them
against Morden in the future. However if Draal only has a purple
moose, saying that he could use it against Morden would be a story
idea."

- rastb5m FAQ

Phasers

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Contagion"
"Evolution"
"Reunion"
"Redemption"
"Unification"
"Violations"
"Suspicions"
Generations
Insurrection

"Emanations"
"Initiations"
"Projections"
"Parturition"
"Investigations"
"Resolutions"
"Revulsion"
"Imperfection"
"Repression"

I don't see the problem. VOY didn't use "-ion" any more often than TNG. Maybe even less so, if they name ST10 like that.

------------------
"Even the colors are pompous!"
-a friend of mine, looking at a Lexus brochure

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Name ST10 like what?

------------------
"You know, putting up a tent is like making love to a beautiful woman. You undo the zip, pop in your pole and slip into the old bag."
- Swiss Toni, The Fast Show (British comedy show)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Xanthi
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay I'm going to stray off track a little here but anyway!

I don't know why people are so bothered by the fact that the Klingons in TOS had smooth human like foreheads and now they have much larger foreheads [with ridges etc etc].

I mean one of the main reasons I'm sure is the fact that the show didn't have so much money to spend on makeup etc back then where as now they can afford more. So they look different - so what?

If that bothers you, then shouldn't the fact that the Trills in TNG looked so much different to the ones in DS9 bother you too? But no one ever mentions it. Always with the Klingons! For that matter the Bajorans looked a little different in the early days too.

I think if anything should irritate people it should be those races[not the Klingons from TOS]. At least they had their budget as an excuse, as for the other races I can see no real acceptable reason.

On a similar matter, does anyone remember a little case of Klingons having pink [or purple if you will] blood for about 1 movie?

Hmmm. I've just learnt to accept these things. Sometimes I think the writers have no idea.

Anyway! Thats my piece. Agree or disagree. Thats up to you

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xanthi: Did you never see "Trials and Tribble-ations"?

Prakesh: If they name it w/ a single word that ends in "-ion".

------------------
"Even the colors are pompous!"
-a friend of mine, looking at a Lexus brochure

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as the episode titles debate goes. There one reason why DS9 suddenly adopted interesting titles in the last couple of seasons:

Babylon 5. Yes. They were inspiring by scribe and poet alike JMS at Babylon 5 who had the most beautiful and poetic titles. If you don't believe me, check 'em out and compare...

------------------
"Synthetic scotch, synthetic Commanders...."
-Scotty

http://www.trekmania.net

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
INT. PARAMOUNT OFFICES - DS9 WRITING STAFF MEETING. AFTERNOON.

IRA STEPHEN BEHR is sitting behind a desk. On the couch to the left are RENE ECHEVARRIA and RON MOORE. We join them mid-conversation

BEHR
...But honestly people, we need suggestions.

MOORE
Let's be serious though, Ira, how urgent could the situation be, anyway?

BEHR
Well, Rick says the suits are incensed. (a beat) We're losing Nielsons, guys. The budget for the season finale may be taking a hit...

ECHEVARRIA
Ouch.

MOORE
What sort of numbers are we dealing with?

BEHR
They're pulling in 1.7s.

Moore whistles softly.

MOORE
They've closed within 60% of our ratings already?

BEHR
I know. Scary, huh?

ECHEVARRIA
I'll say. (a beat.) Well, I'm open to suggestions for tweaking my scripts. Maybe we could just hold off for a couple of days and try to flesh them out a bit more?

MOORE
More Klingons? I mean, I could rewrite my current script to feature Klingons swooping in a screaming "get the hell off our planet!"

BEHR
The Risa one?

MOORE
Yeah.

BEHR
I say leave it alone. It's working as-is.

Echevarria nods.

MOORE
What are you leaning towards, Ira?

BEHR
Well, perhaps we should ask ourselves what they've got that we haven't got...

ECHEVARRIA
Koenig.

Behr shakes his head.

BEHR
I've asked. He says he won't do Chekov.

ECHEVARRIA
Then what about a new role? Like, the head of some elite Federation black ops program or something. Something sinister.

MOORE
I like the sound of that... We could call it... Section 28? Something nasty like that.

BEHR
I think we're missing the point. I mean, look who we're up against. He's... well, he's...

ECHEVARRIA
A poet.

BEHR
Exactly.

MOORE (chiming in)
Yeah. He contributed to a compendium of haikus with George Lucas and Chris Carter. Damn, those guys are good.

ECHEVARRIA (resolutely)
It's what we're up against. We've gotta rise to the occasion.

BEHR
Well, um, let's take one of the cast... say, O'Brien, and posess him with an alien virus... and force him to write poetry in his quarters all day and all night...

MOORE (interrupting)
...It could be like an alien legacy story... It could be their Beowulf, their Homer... and the race could be extinct, and the virus could be their little way of ensuring that their cultural history survives...

ECHEVARRIA (interrupting)
The Inner Light, Ron

Moore isn't paying attention

MOORE (continuing)
...But meanwhile, the virus is driving O'Brien insane... and he's about to die... And Bashir finds out a way to remove the virus from his friend's system but is split between doing that and saving O'Brien's life or risking it and seeing whether O'Brien can finish the story.

BEHR
Throw in a B-plot about Worf wanting to adopt a puppy and we might have enough for a two-parter. (a beat.) It might do it. This could be big.

ECHEVARRIA
We could call up the UPN marketing people Voyager uses and make sure we get a real kick-ass promo for it.

BEHR
But...

MOORE (incredulous)
But?

BEHR
...well, the best we could hope for having it ready by would be May Sweeps. We need to implement something now or else there mightn't BE a show by May Sweeps.

The gravity of what he has just said sinks in on the other two. There's a long pasuse, and Echevarria looks up.

ECHEVARRIA
Titles.

BEHR (sternly)
We've been over the entire thing about the drum backbeat before. It's staying.

ECHEVARRIA
No, not the opening credits... episode titles.

MOORE (catching on.)
Theirs kick our ass. I mean, "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars." That's sends shivers down my spine.

Echevarria nods in agreement.

BEHR
Remember when we fought over whether to name it "The Jem'Hadar" or "Dominion"... perhaps we should have gone with something longer. Like...

MOORE
"Let He Who is Without Sin"

BEHR
I like that. From the Bible, right?

MOORE
Yeah... I mean, like, Eris is without sin, but Quark isn't... and Jake and Nog are like the brothers of Simon Peter.

ECHEVARRIA
Well, no use arguing about an epsiode who aired years ago.

BEHR
True enough. But what do you guys say we go all out and put poetic titles on everything? Maybe that'll stop him from stealing any more than a quarter-percent or so more of our audience.

ECHEVARRIA (excitedly)
That might do it...

MOORE
Well, let's start with my Risa episode.

BEHR
I dunno... How about "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges?"

ECHEVARRIA
No... just doesn't fit the material. How about we save it for later? (a beat.) That biblical one was kinda cool though, Ron...

MOORE
Then "Let He Is Who Without Sin" it is...

END OF ACT I

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

LOL! Sarcasm: The Motion Picture

------------------

Holodeck Corp
Member # 618

- posted      Profile for Holodeck Corp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
will wear blue jumpsuit uniforms emblazoned with a starship shoulder patch

Thank goodness. As soon as I heard about the series being placed before TOS I started to wonder how many episodes or how many minutes into the pilot it would be before the first red shirt would die.

--------------------
Steve

"If you are sure you understand everything that is going on, you are hopelessly confused."

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps