Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Series V uniform/ship/title info (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Series V uniform/ship/title info
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever read Trimble's Concordance?
It also lists the names of episodes in other languages. The Japanese titles, translated back to English, are very funny:

The Man Trap - A Bloodsucking Monster on Planet M-113
Charlie X - A Boy from the Planet Tharsus
The Enemy Within - Two Kirks
Dagger of the Mind - The Lunatic from Devil's Island
Miri - 400 year old girl
The Devil in the Dark - Horta: The Underground Monster
The Changeling - Secret of Nomad, Ultra-Small Spaceship

And my favorite:
The Paradise Syndrome - Coming Close to Crash Course with an Asteroid

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are all surprisingly sensical.
Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sensical? More like prosaic. Certainly not poetic like some of the original titles.

As for the uniforms, I'd like to see them really break with the ST past. How about some good, old-fashioned buttons and visible zippers? Nothing wrong with them, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Or as Dorothy might say, "buttons and zippers and snaps, oh my!"

--------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Zippers and pockets have been confirmed in a few places. Dorothy should be happy.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
400 year old girl... that sounds like a good title name...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, was the Nomad probe really 'Ultra-Small'??

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
Zippers and pockets have been confirmed in a few places. Dorothy should be happy.

Sources? I know about pockets, going back to the field jackets of TWoK. But while zippers were always used in the uniforms, they were always concealed to look like something futuristic. And I've never seen buttons. They used snaps, too, in the classic TWoK uniforms, but they felt the need to camouflage them with silver braid for when the jacket flaps were left open.

I want to see the real, unembellished fasteners. Again, if it still works, why not use them? What would be the advantage of some high-tech 22rd century fastener over a plain zipper? Airtightness, maybe, but that wouldn't help with a shipboard jumpsuit.

--------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, unofficial reports of what the uniforms look like have swirled around for several weeks, and jumpsuits with prominent zippers and pockets has been a consistent thread. Official word confirmed these last week.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cadet movie uniforms also had poctets. Actually, don't some of the modern jumpsuits have combat-trouser like leg pocters?

To be fair about JMS, when his titles were good, they were good "Deconstruction of Falling Stars, Falling towards Apothesis" etc. But, by season 5, we'd gotten to the point where he'd run out of variations on "light" and "dark" and "war". I'd have trouble putting season 5 titles to episodes. Actually, I'd have slight trouble doing that to some season 4 episodes, but that is probably due to the fact that by late season 4, there were rarely individual episode stories. Still, season 5 titles were largely "The darkness in the shadows with war at night".

I do agree with faux-Echevarria about one thing. I couldn't stand that drum-beat.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About the Enterprise title, I emailed Doug Drexler as to why they omitted Star Trek from it and here's what he said...
quote:
In answer to your question:

1) Star Trek: Enterprise sounds like a company that sells Trek merchandise.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Sh*T! You have Doug Drexler's email address? Why don't you email him about those damn ships he drew for the DS9 Tech Manual to see if he based them on actual models he saw, or if he has photos?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure that his email address has been available for a while, and that the ships were not based on models.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In an email response I received from Okuda, the VFX department had gotten together and built several kitbashed models for the "Dominion battle aftermath." Of all the models, though, only the Centaur and the Curry were seen in the show. I had asked Mike if Drexler's drawings were based on the other unused models, since there were already two drawings which were loosely based on the Centaur and the Curry. Okuda said he thought they were.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess models were involved in Drexler's drawings, but probably not the original models. After all, look at the Curry's huge nacelles. That's exactly what would happen if the model-kit Constitution-II nacelles were stuck on bits from an Excelsior model, from what I've heard. The fact that they're sideways suggests that the original model wasn't used, though, since the original clearly had them the normal way.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps