Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Holy Das Boot Batman! First Interior shots! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Holy Das Boot Batman! First Interior shots!
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://talk.trekweb.com/articles/2001/07/09/994724537.html

Fuck! And it looks just like the Galaxy's warp core, too!

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy horizontal cores, Batman! And it's about friggin' time!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The_Tom, how appropriate a title. That engine room looks pretty damn small. How would one get any sort of work done in there?

But, I don't see the similarity between the Galaxy's warp core and this warp core. I mean, I can see there are two cylindrical sections connecting to a middle section that has two tubes branching off of it, but that's been the basic layout of warp cores for the past three series.

I guess that since the things that appear to be power transfer conduits are branching up, the core isn't in the pod as someone speculated. I'd guess somewhere in the middle to rear of the saucer?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it looks like a Galaxy's! Zimmerman is a plagiarizing idiot! I'm boycotting the show.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The_Tom, please tell me you're joking.

I've taken a closer look at the pictures, and I think it's deviating quite a bit from the Galaxy class's warp core. At the back of the set, it doesn't look like there is an extension. It just seems to be an elliptical cylinder that reaches a termination at about the point where the two smaller tubes branch off and go up. After that, there's nothing. If this were a Galaxy class warp core turned horizontal, it's missing its antimatter magnetic constriction segments.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WAHHHHH WAAAHHHH BOO HOO.... god damn i hope you were joking.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

*rolls eyes*
Joke. Yes.

Anyway, I think these are pics from a catwalk. There appears to be a more substantial working space a deck down which is probably where most Engineeringish functions are directed-from

--------------------

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, that looks nothing like the Galaxy's core. I think it looks cool! And I love the whole vertical bit. Harks back to (what we think) the original-E's core might've been like, and what the E-refit's core looks like.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aha, what I have been looking for! A SMALL warp core! And this definatly fits the "submarine" style interior that has been described! Look at all the exposed piping and everything on there.

As for how the core works, maybe those two prongs are the matter and antimatter coming into the core (the bulk of that large thing. Maybe shielding isn't quite as good and it needs to be that large). The Power conduits would then come out of the side somewhere below.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's very...golden. I notice there aren't any control panels in these shots yet. I'm quite curious to see those.
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like there is a large free area in the bottom deck of the engineering set from the last picture. The sets look quite nice and I like the warp core, looks much more primitive then any others we've seen. The sets do look darker though.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone made scans of the Berman picture in the TV Guide yet? He's supposed to be on the bridge, and i can't make out the piddly little picure we've been given so far.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you guys didn't pick up on that Galaxy joke...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the core alot, I think that the movie version was the way to go. I wonder if if has metal blast doors that come down and seal off half of it.

quote:
Aha, what I have been looking for! A SMALL warp core!

True but they could have decided to go in the opposite direction and have the core be huge (bigger than a Galaxy's even).

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Upon closer inspection, yes, indeedy, those pics are taken from a catwalk. So we're actually looking down a deck to see what appears to be an immense warp core. Though it does appear to be shorter than modern cores.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps