Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » No More Orchestra? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: No More Orchestra?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just looking here to see that they aren't using an orchestra anymore in scoring Trek!

This is wrong, very wrong.

The Simpsons and Star Trek were the last bastions of orchestral scores on TV. Now I guess it's just the Simpsons. [Mad]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly don�t mind and cant really tell the difference. We've gotten to the point where we can get pretty damn close to a faithful reproduction of all the instruments necessary, and if you are going to have to cut a budget somewhere, I would probably start there too.

Also, that forum is a pile of shit. "you can't post email messages unless you have the consent of the sender"

Someone knows nothing about internet law.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone knows nothing about being polite, either.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird, I doubt that Enterprise's budget has been cut past, well, Babylon 5 levels. But even they could afford a partially orchestrated (sic?) soundtrack. If that post is correct and "everything is done electronically" thats pretty sad.

Then again, TV Star Trek has never made the best use of its orchestra so, meh. (e.g. from Voyager, I'd be hard pressed to hum a single theme other than the open credits)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's why they need to do like the "Dukes of Hazzard" did and use Waylon Jennings!!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"(e.g. from Voyager, I'd be hard pressed to hum a single theme other than the open credits)"

If it makes you feel better, I couldn't even do that much.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No? The music and visuals of the Voyager credits are very beautiful.

I remember when I first saw "Caretaker" that opening was so cool - me and my friends rewound it to watch it again! (We got to see the first episode just about a week after it's premier in the States in early 1995. (Which was pretty good for Australia then - the friend was on his way back home after being on holiday there).

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. Voyager's titles were good. Although I did always prefer the Deep Space Nine theme. It felt a bit more original.
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Weird, I doubt that Enterprise's budget has been cut past, well, Babylon 5 levels. But even they could afford a partially orchestrated (sic?) soundtrack. If that post is correct and "everything is done electronically" thats pretty sad.

Babylon 5 was a bit weird though. I always got the feeling that the Orchestra was paid directly out of Chris Franke's salary, for some reason. And even then, I don't think that he used more than maybe 7 or 8 musicians at once. And they weren't even in the same room.

Star Trek, on the other hand, had either the largest or second largest orchestra on TV. That's going to eat into the budget.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I heard the VOY theme was probably the original airing of "Endgame".
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, trying to find some information.
According to this Star Trek used about 43 musicians on a regular basis.
Babylon 5 looks to use about 20 on a regular basis. It also looks like the only big geographical split is Christopher Franke in the States and the rest of the orchestra in Berlin.

The only mention of salary comes in with musicians in Berlin being cheaper than in the States, which makes sense.

Further down in the thread, the original poster indicates that it looks like about half of the scores from this point on in Enterprise will be fully electronic. No word on whether the actual size of the orchestra has been cut for the remaining episodes.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"And they weren't even in the same room."

It often sounded like they were all in the same synthesizer, though.

OH SNAP!

(Dying Station is the best episode track ever.)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

What about Stargate's scores - they always sound impressive - mostly composed by Joel Goldsmith (Jerry's son - also did some work on First Contact). Do they use an orchestra?
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes. that reminds me. where the eff is my best of season 1 soundtrack.
Mucus
Member # 24

Actually, I cannot find a good source for this either way. However, there are a fair number of soundtrack reviews that state that the first season SG1 soundtrack was mostly synth with only the opening and end titles being performed with an orchestra.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps