Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Remaining Season Four Destinations (Spoilers) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Remaining Season Four Destinations (Spoilers)
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's a perfectly cromulent word.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That report mentions that there was some problem emulating the old style turbolift doors where someone had to manually open them. I'm confused. Haven't stagehands always manually opened the doors?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In TOS, probably. But with the advent of motion sensor and what not, Trek doors have probably been automated for a bit...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They weren't in TNG. I always thought that the doors were manual because otherwise they would open at inopportune times, such as in the middle of dialogue. Certainly Sisko's office doors in DS9 had a mind of their own (sometimes people walked straight in, sometimes he was hpages from ops, othertimes they would stand in front of them and ring the doorbell).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the doors had an urgency sensor [Smile] If you are walking briskly and you have a high blood pressure or something - it'll let you straight in - or the opposite - make you wait! [Smile]

Maybe Sisko had settings for the door incase he didn't want to be disturbed.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
In TOS, probably. But with the advent of motion sensor and what not, Trek doors have probably been automated for a bit...

Nah - Enterprise doesn't have 'automatic doors' - they have to press a button to go through each door - that would give a cue for the stage/set guy.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot to mention it, but that production report also talks of a TOS-era Federation flag on the Defiant, and it's the TMP flag. So the red banner is possibly not the actual flag, but something else.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, more fanwank.

We get a proper Earth civilian leader! And the Ithenites mentioned in the Xindi arc are actually those copper-coloured guys from JotB! And they're possibly also a founding member of the 'Coalition of Planets'.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK... so that's the episode before the finale, but it's also tying up a story arc... meaning the finale will be a standalone episode. I not sure I'm enthusiastic.

So is this Coalition thing supposed to be a failed precursor to the Federation? Seems like an attempt to get the Federation formation idea into the series even though they know the series won't go on long enough to actually be able to include it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, they just open the final episode with a prologue: "Wow, these last three years were really interesting. Unfortunately due to malfunctioning sensors we were not able to record any of it. Thankfully we have managed to repair our optical sensor grid. And now on with the story..." thus making the show run for seven years after all... [Wink]

No wait, that would rather be fitting for an episode of "Series ?" [Smile]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought that the doors were manual because otherwise they would open at inopportune times, such as in the middle of dialogue.

My personal favorite was when someone walked through the door to their quarters, stopped immediately inside, and leaned back against the doors.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Spock - "The Naked Time" (I think (and I'm sure someone did in TNG too, although I can't think who)).

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like in some of the infamous blooper reels... [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, complaints about the doors have always struck me as funny.

To somebody born in the seventies, it appears trivially easy to build doors that would open not due to mere proximity, but due to obvious and consistent movement towards the doors. Doppler indicators, three lines of code governing the door opener servo: nothing could be easier. The doors *should* know whether somebody wants to walk through them or lean to them, and they don't need to read the script for that! It's not 21st or 24th century supertechnology - it is early 1980s tech, which for some curious reason just never took hold in our universe, like video telephones or flying cars.

It is a semi-valid concern when a door is deliberately and for no good reason left ajar so that somebody can hear a piece of conversation. But that doesn't happen nearly as often as most nitpickers would have us believe.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

True. But there are other occasions where someone walks right up to a door without it opening. The person then turns around, says some dramatic dialogue, and then turns back, at which point the door decides to open.

As someone else once said, it's probably a "dramatic exit" sensor.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps