Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » A thought on 'Stealth Technology'... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A thought on 'Stealth Technology'...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Wasn't the basic gimmick in "Minefield" a minefield full of cloaked mines? I mean, sure, you could do a different episode with a different gimmick, but as it stands the whole episode depends on that one.

(So I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not sure what you mean by "unnecessary" in this context. For the episode that exists, having a cloaking device is a necessity for the story, since were the mines visible they would have approached the planet, if they did at all, in a different way. Now that could be changed, and you'd have a different episode, maybe better, maybe worse. But the cloak wasn't just a background detail in the story, is the thing.)

You know, you are absolutely correct. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I posted that. [Eek!]

RE: Holotechnology
I think it's become clear that it's really not that complicated. It's all over the place even in the 22nd century. If you believe the animated episode "The Practical Joker," (which I do) they had it on the E-nil. Sure, Janeway said in "Flashback" that they didn't have them aboard starships in the 2290s, but that could just be because that was a period of increased military rigidity in Starfleet. (Less creature comforts, in accordance with Nick Meyer's production design ethos during the films.) I actually just reviewed "Encounter at Farpoint," and nothing really seemed to imply that it was new technology; just that the E-D's holodeck was more advanced than previous models.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I mean, it's possible to find larger parts of the plot unnecessary. Sometimes I get weirdly insistant about these things for no apparent (or justifiable) reason.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't there several TNG episode which imply that holotechnology isn't as new as "Farpoint" made it out to be? I seem to remember that there were, and the newness of holotech was something that should be put in the same catagory as the newness of the Ferengi (first season: wow super never seen these before, second season onwards: Pft old hat everyone knows about it/them).

Possibly Quark's holosuites...any implication that they had them during some of those flashback DS9 episodes?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. . . within the show, the holodeck quickly becomes just another entertainment, something everybody uses and is comfortable with (despite its unsettling failure rate), but I can't recall any concrete facts given about the length of time it had been around.

What I mean is, from the way the characters come to treat it, the holodeck does not appear to be a novel invention, yet no one ever says, if I recall correctly, "Oh, yeah, we've had these for ages."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't either. I just have a feeling that we see it being used in some sort of flashback episode, but I can't for the life of me think which one.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Bones McCoy
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for Bones McCoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just heard ENT is being cancelled. I was gonna post something longer, but I'm a little bummed. [Frown]

Anyway, I still think it would look cooler if everyone on ENT was less developed, not just Earth. Otherwise it just seems like a re-hash of VOY or DS9 or late TNG, just 200 years earlier, with everything being exactly the same. (Apparantly, only the devices' names have developed.)

--------------------
"Brave men are vertebrates: they have their softness on the outside, and their toughness in the middle"
-Lewis Carrol

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.