Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Pre-E's Registry Number (Maybe $$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pre-E's Registry Number (Maybe $$$)
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay... I'm mad.

The Pre-E itself I like.

(Dodges the rotten fruit thrown in his direction)

It's the registry number that is getting me.

NX-01.

First of all, NX-01 should be the Dauntless. No ifs, ands, or buts. And don't give me that "The Dauntless was a fake, so we can't go by that" garbage. Somebody on the Voyager crew would surely have realized something was amiss with the registry number if it had been wrong.

But wait, folks, that's not all!

In the TV Guide interview, Berman states that Archer has been a Starfleet officer for 15 years. Shoving aside the entire "Did Starfleet exist before the Federation" debate, should not NX-01 be the first Starfleet ship? From the sound of the interview, there were other (though slower) starships before the Pre-E.

Down with NX-01!

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you on the registry. That's going to be a bugger to get around. At this point, all I can think of that this is the Earth Starfleet. Once the Federation is formed, the Federation Starfleet comes into existence based off of the Earth Starfleet. This includes absorbing the Earth Starfleet personnel and ships and registration system. I will admit that this is quite a bit of a stretch. Maybe the show itself will offer answers. If not, I'm sure we'll think of something. We always do, after all.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it bascially boils down to thre possible options:

1) Starfleet is comprised of morons for thinking up a whacked out scheme like this.

2) The Voyager crew is comprised of morons for failing to notice it.

3) The writers are morons for not going with a *new*, feasible numbering scheme, and giving us something the fans would theorhetically identify more with.

Take your pick. The easiest answer is two, if you ask me.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wtf? ok, a lot of my friends are in the navy. they know jack about other ships registries. they know thier own and a few others. Its safe to assume people dont memorize registries of other ships in the trek universe.

so its safe to assume NX-01-A was a bogus registery. Even if it was 'the first ship'.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Counterpoint the first: Sternbach and/or Okuda implied that the Dauntless's registry was 01-A in a similar fashion to the US Navy breaking out of it's registry code for the SeaWolf (SN-21 for 21st century) in a way of emphasizing its coolness. It was also a cute little way of pointing out the hard-core fans that the ship wasn't quite real.

Counterpoint the second: Perhaps the Earth Starfleet uses a more current-ish system of registries, that is to say two-letter codes for each type of ship followed by a chronological number. Enterprise could be the first ass-kickingly-long-range-Warp-5-capable-prototype vessel produced, hence the code. 'NX' could be coopted later on as a code for all prototypes in the UFP's Starfleet.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About Archer being in Starfleet for 15 years yet Enterprise is the first Starfleet ship, who said that when Archer got to the ship it was brand new? It could STILL be the first Starfleet ship, but yet be fairly old. Kirk wasn't the first captain of the Enterprise, ya know...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the general impression coming out of the script reviews is that the Enterprise has quite a few miles on the odometer already. There's also been a reference of two to it being built by Archer's father. If Archer is 45, then his dad is probably a senior by now and probably past doing cutting-edge ship design work.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Berman, Braga - bastards. They don't give a flying s**t about everything.

"The Akira looks cool - lets just use that and stick a bunch of Phoenix-like stuff on it, screw it, who cares anyway, we're in it to make loads of bucks, Roddenberry's dead, and HIS vision died with him, so who gives a F**k.

(Sorry, I've studied the new Enterprise, and as such am in a state of complete anger and dismay. But when you've studied, followed and reacted to Trek universe with utter precision and adoration for 25 years, you kinda feel like you've been kicked in the teeth when you see something like this)

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RED ADMIRAL IS A GOD AMONG MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On the subject of the reg:
I have two HUGE problems with it.

ONE: It implies experimental status which is all wrong because we'll now have an Enterprise-class which is ridiculous because with all the history we've had on ships called Enterprise, don't you think we'd have heard of one that got it's own class, and furthermore was also the first ship in Starfleet???

TWO: (Oh, slap me if you want to gripe about studio policy!) It contradicts the fact that The Animated Series establishes the S.S. Bonaventure to be the first Starfleet ship equipped with warp drive.

This is the old Bonaventure. Now THAT'S a proper pre-TOS looking ship. It should have been along these lines that the Pre-E was designed.

Here's a size comparrison with the 1701.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, I really don't like the Akiraprise either, but frankly, just because it's experimental doesn't mean it'll be a class ship. There may be too many difficulties with it, or it costs to much to construct/maintain, for an entire class to be ordered. It could be a testbed for systems that will be used on a new class, however.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
Berman, Braga - bastards. They don't give a flying s**t about everything. "The Akira looks cool - lets just use that and stick a bunch of Phoenix-like stuff on it, screw it, who cares anyway, we're in it to make loads of bucks, Roddenberry's dead, and HIS vision died with him, so who gives a F**k.

As a very wise man once said, "When one runs out of coherent arguments, one resorts to petty name-calling. It is truly the last act of a desperate man."

quote:
(Sorry, I've studied the new Enterprise, and as such am in a state of complete anger and dismay. But when you've studied, followed and reacted to Trek universe with utter precision and adoration for 25 years, you kinda feel like you've been kicked in the teeth when you see something like this)

I hate to burst your bubble, but Star Trek is far from something that can be precisely followed. If you believe in this strict adherence, how the hell could you could have made it through Star Trek this far?

quote:
ONE: It implies experimental status which is all wrong because we'll now have an Enterprise-class which is ridiculous because with all the history we've had on ships called Enterprise, don't you think we'd have heard of one that got it's own class, and furthermore was also the first ship in Starfleet???

Have you not read one single thing some of us supporting this series has written? Well? How many times hasn't someone said that there may be the distinction between the EARTH Starfleet and the FEDERATION Starfleet? If there is this distinction made in the series, you're argument is a dead point.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
May I just say that the pre-Federation/pre-Starfleet "NX" could mean something different to the Starfleet "NX" so that Enterprise could be NX-O1 and the first Starfleet ship, be it Dauntless or not, also be NX-01.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
2) The Voyager crew is comprised of morons for failing to notice it.

Take your pick. The easiest answer is two, if you ask me.

Another possibility is that the Voyager crew simply didn't care what the registry was. They had been stranded in the Delta Quadrant for years; are they really going to quibble about Starfleet's latest registry scheme when they could be trying to slipstream home?

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe. In that very episode, Janeway was looking for the flaw in Arturis' deception, being as skeptical as ever. And she gloosed over it.

But to be fair, I like my US Aircraft Cariers, and I haven't a clue what ship the CV-1 was back in WWII, if that ship existed *in* WWII. That could have been what we're looking at here.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't it called Forrestal, or something? Or am I making that up? Seems like that was the name of one of the first few carriers...

I'm sure we'll be able to come up w/ an explanation for the "NX-01". But I still think it was stupid on the producers' part. After all, we shouldn't have to come up w/ convoluted rationalizations for things to make sense; they should make sense on their own...

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps