Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » R.I.P. Star Trek: Enterprise (Page 3)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: R.I.P. Star Trek: Enterprise
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It took 20 years for Star Wars to get two (possibly three) mediocre sequels that were planned anyway, both BSG and Dr. Who are basically the same old concept for a new generation, not a continuation of the old shows. And Firefly is the same as Farscape' mini and Babylon 5's feature; it came back because of the fans who bought the DVDs and supported the show.

Don't get me wrong, I really hope that the show will come back, but it wont be tomorrow and it may not be what we are hoping for. Paramount wants our money, for sure, but - compared to Farscape and B5 - they already get it. Plenty of it. No need to produce more Trek for now. Fox sucked the Star Wars franchise dry for 20 years, and that's just three movies.

On the positive side they got rid of B&B, too (for now, at least. For what it's worth, there's still the upcoming movie, currently in developement hell. I hope it'll come out someday).

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, it's funny, but I recently watched Futurama's Trek parody "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" with the audio commentary, recorded after the show had been cancelled.

David Cohen jokes that David Goodman (who wrote the episode) has a history of working on shows that get cancelled after he joins them. What show had Goodman moved onto just prior to recording the commentary track?

Enterprise.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Dr. Who being another example. True, there aren't any television shows in production, but we've had at least one TV movie and reports are of another movie in the works."

I think your information is a little out of date, there. The TV episodes are in production right now and are supposed to start airing in March.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like a sick joke how people (myself included) bitched for the show to be cancelled for its lousy theme, hackneyed space-marine war arc -- we finally get a season of Orion pirates, Vulcan deserts, and an exact recreation of a TOS era ship -- the things we wanted to see around ENT Season 1 -- and _THEN_ they cancel it. I guess we are lucky to have one year of wishes coming true before the end.
deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how many online petitions there are to save this shitty show. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a sick joke . . . the bashers simply got a two-for-one special. Thanks, bitchers. [Wink]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by deadcujo:
I wonder how many online petitions there are to save this shitty show. [Big Grin]

Wow, how very sensitive
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, his name is "deadcujo", you know. [Razz]

I've enjoyed this season of Enterprise. I haven't seen every episode of the series (I missed almost all of season three due roommate issues), but I've liked the series as a whole. I'll miss it.

I don't think that giving Star Trek a rest is necessarily a bad thing. I highly doubt anyone or anything can "kill" Star Trek, but I do think it suffers from having been on for so long a run without interruption. I think it's a shame that this comes with the good work Coto and company have done this season, but such is life and the inherent unfairness of it.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even The Nestles Generation was better than most of this show's stories. It sucks that the show has been cancelled, but it's really not a suprise at all. Stargate is the Star Trek killer. [Frown]

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Neither Star Trek nor Enterprise will ever return - nor do they deserve to return - as long as there are so many "fans" who are obviously just sick and tired of this franchise.
Sorry, but that's plain bullshit.
I think MinutiaeMan's statement sums it up far more nicely:

quote:
There's nothing wrong with wanting to give "Star Trek" a rest. I'm not addicted to a constant stream of new shows; ... crappy "Trek" is IMO far worse than no "Trek" at all.

Those who consider themselves "addicted" in that respect should try and "get a life" - to coin that old phrase yet again.

quote:
I highly doubt anyone or anything can "kill" Star Trek, but I do think it suffers from having been on for so long a run without interruption.
Another very true statement IMHO.

And sure, Enterprise may have had some good episodes - though I haven't seen any of them. Perhaps because I didn't have a chance yet, not having been able to see the latest season here in Germany.
But on the whole, ever since the end of DS9, Star Trek in general went downhill: Insurrection, Nemesis, Voyager, Enterprise.
Having a few outstanding moments inbetween is just not good enough.

And I still consider myself a Star Trek fan, but this doesn't mean I have to like everything TPTB throw at me, or does it?

From what I gather about most of the postings on the latest season, having gotten rid of B&B must have had very positive effects.
Well, they should have done that before even creating Enterprise... [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I haven't read this whole thred - but this is sad new indeed. They are doing the WRONG thing. I agree Voyager was allowed 7 seasons? The show should have been off the air after season 2! Enterprise has never been a BAD show - and it has only improved since season 3 and even moreso in season 4. I will DEFINATELY be voicing my support for this show. There have been 'campaigns' over the years for various shows (not including the original Trek) Like Angel or Farscape they had their time... Enterprise has not had it's time.

Andrew

P.S. Some of the arguments AGAINST Enterprise - I've read in this thread are simply pathetic. Very childish indeed - one in particular I'm sure others would have noticed.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Captain from M.I.K.E.:
we finally get a season of Orion pirates, Vulcan deserts, and an exact recreation of a TOS era ship -- the things we wanted to see around ENT Season 1 --

Er, I wanted to see good storytelling interesting characters. The others I couldn't give a monkeys about (well, okay, the whole Defiant thing is cool, but it's also pure unadulturated fanwank).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
Ya know what? I wish it would move to CBS. Just look at JAG.

Speaking of dreak! Why the hell is that crap-of-a-show still doing on television after, what? 8? 9 years?

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by The Captain from M.I.K.E.:
we finally get a season of Orion pirates, Vulcan deserts, and an exact recreation of a TOS era ship -- the things we wanted to see around ENT Season 1 --

Er, I wanted to see good storytelling interesting characters. The others I couldn't give a monkeys about (well, okay, the whole Defiant thing is cool, but it's also pure unadulturated fanwank).
But there are good character episodes too. The Vulcan arc was GREAT. There's no denying season 3 was very good.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm denying it. Season 3, although it had some good stories, was ultimatly pointless. Not too mention the last 10 seconds of Season 3, which basically destroyed whatever point they were trying to make.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.