Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » "In A Mirror Darkly" ruminations $(contains spoilers)$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: "In A Mirror Darkly" ruminations $(contains spoilers)$
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm. . . I'm not sure - Red wasn't really Farrell's colour. And shouldn't she have been in blue, anyway?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah how did that translate across!?! Terry Farrel liked red? 1. She was Chief Science Officer. 2. I guess she does have some sort of Command position on DS9, before Worf and not including Kira, Dax was Sisko's 2nd in command. 3. Being in Engineering red on the Enterprise got her access to more areas than Science Blue?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OTOH, several scientists in TOS wore red...

The access issue may have been important, yes. Blueshirts had access to critical Engineering areas in "Alternate Factor", but not elsewhen. Unless Sisko's gang wanted to infiltrate Sickbay, they probably best dress in yellow or red. (And they already had Bashir for Sickbay recce if they needed.)

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i believe that the costumer also stated that the red fabric they were using was superior in quality to the blue, therefore it was the only one of the three they thought they should use for the skirt

(this might've been their reasoning when they chose red for Historian Marla McGivers and Astrobiologist Ann Mulhall -- both of whom wore red despite their science careers).

besides, the redskirt uniform was an icon of TOS -- they probably thought it would be more nostalgic if they had a woman in a red skirt running around.

Besides, there are more than enough people who cross their department colors more than a few times throughout all the series -- its not impossible or improbable for a minor assignment change of personnel status change that could make an officer wear command instead of operations or science -- Spock, Uhura, Worf, etc -- and the few cases of captains, commodores and an admiral wearing non-command colors.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, the DS9 crew had no position or rank at all in the TOS Starfleet, and no uniform could conceal the fact that they weren't actually crewmembers.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
I think you got it the other way around - I'm saying that the Trekverse is not our universe, and asking why other people insist in trying to invent explanations to cover for all the noticeable differences between them (as, precisely, the Eugenics Wars, among other things).

Edit: (Or are you tring to imply that people is so dumb that they would understand it the other way around?)

Yes. Although I am also assuming that 90% of viewers of Star Trek do not sit there with the Chronology on their lap shouting "there were probes called Nomad launched in the 90s" in a high pitched voice.

Also, "is so dumb". Irony.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
Is "people" a singular or plural noun in English? In Spanish, the equivalent "gente" is a "collective singular", not a plural...
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have to sit there with the Chronology book. We've got those details memorized.

And when we aren't sure, we go look it up.

People is plural. Person is singular.

Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
We don't have to sit there with the Chronology book. We've got those details memorized.

And when we aren't sure, we go look it up.

Exactly [Big Grin]

I think they did use a red dress for Jadzia just to make her look like a yeoman. That way she would have acess to most areas, I think....

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to have full access to her areas. WIN!

Besides.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your manhood is secure once again.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I'd like my manhood to be secure. IN HER!

OTOH.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The other hand" is right.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is all terribly clever. Terribly.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So which actress in the TOS mini is he referring to? Blalock or Farrell?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps