Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » "In A Mirror Darkly" ruminations $(contains spoilers)$ (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: "In A Mirror Darkly" ruminations $(contains spoilers)$
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, currently there is an online competition for guys (and girls) to win a chance to apply said sunblock... [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Well, it is too wacky. Any mirror-universe will look vastly different the further away from the point of divergence.

It's a simple domino effect. You start one chain of events off and it's going to go in an entirely different direction.

The beauty of infinite parallel universes is that, by the very idea of an infinite number of them, there must be one or more which look exactly like this one but for some minor change.

That overrides the domino notion quite handily.

This also means that if you don't like a particular mirror-universe story, you're perfectly at liberty to disregard it as being part of another parallel universe . . . though if it refers back to another episode you must assume the point of divergence is after that one.

For instance, there would indeed be a parallel universe in which Mirror-Spock's changes to the Terran Empire did not result in the Alliance destroying them and enslaving humanity.

(That's one thing I never liked about the DS9 MU visits, since the notion that peace was, on a practical level, "a bad thing" bothered me, and undercut the original TOS ep. But, with infinite universes, that's no problem at all.)

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Yes, currently there is an online competition for guys (and girls) to win a chance to apply said sunblock... [Big Grin]

Actually, a quick search on Google shows that the original mention was of "topless gardening", which is sort of more plausible... and that later she denied that story completely. Sorry to bring you those news... (although on the same interview there is also a mention of something far more disturbing than her gardening in the nude)
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony Danza?
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's entering a Dawn copetition?

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday I read Engines of Destiny which was, by and large, shit. However, as a result of the myriad Star Trek elements it threw together that had no business being together, one was the Guardian of Forever and (in passing) the events of City on the Edge of Forever, in addition to lots of paralell universe bullshit. All of which got me thinking.

If indeed our universe and the mirror were at one point the same and there was a point of divergence - then perhaps the divergence wasn't at the events of First Contact because of the Borg, but perhaps it was more than a century earlier. What if Edith Keeler's unnatural survival was responsible for the emergence of the mirror timeline. Keeler survives, the United States stays out of the war, the Nazis win world domination and and thus, from that point on in human history, humanity was "evil."

Admitedly, it's not something I've given a tremendous amount of thought to, and there's nothing that says there has to be a point of divergence, but I thought it was an idea worth sharing.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Possible. Though it seems unlikely that if Nazi philosphy had prevaled and spread, people like Uhura and Sulu would've been serving on the Enterprise. Or indeed, Mayweather and Hoshi on the NX-01.

The whole point of divergenace theory is crap anyway, for the very reason that the same people still exist. Star Trek has made a point of subscribing to the "if you change the past, you change the present" view. Any point of divergeance that far back would've eliminated people from the timeline. However... a fundamentaly different universe might be able to get away with it.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Evil Jesus.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to mention evil Ghandi, evil Mother Theresa, and yes - evil Santa Claus.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an aside, I once read a very creepy story about an evil Santa Claus. Some kid's abusive father told it, in the context of the story. I don't remember many of the details though, other than that the evil Santa Claus drove around on a sleigh pulled by goats, and he was murderously violent. In the end I think the father is killed by said creature.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are those who would argue that even the real Gandhi and Mother Teresa weren't all they're cracked up to be.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah... stupid little bald gnome.

The idea of a murderous, blood-thirsty Santa intrigues me. I'm seeing Billy Bob from "Bad Santa", but with demon-possessed murder.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is Backwards Santa from Red Dwarf's, er, "Backwards". The "fat gits who goes down people's chimney's and steals all the kid's favourite toys."

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are two episodes of Futurama dedicated to this. Beware Santa's evil bicycle gun!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He knows when you are sleeping,
He knows when you're on the can,
He'll hunt you down and blast your ass
From here to Pakistan

You better not breathe,
You better not move,
You're better off dead I'm telling you dude
Santa Claus is gunning you down

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps