Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Enterprise is getting a little violent... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise is getting a little violent...
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim wins.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing more annoying that TV fake swearing is when people Omega start Omega using Omega them Omega on Omega message Omega boards.

(I don't mind "Smeg" though. Partly because it's a comedy and partly because they mix it in with lots of real swear words. Likewise "Slag" on Beast Wars never bothered me, because it was a kids show so they couldn't get away with much. Plus it actually sounded half-way convinving (certainly better than the "altered 'fuck's that Simon mentioned.)(does that full stop go inside or outside the brackets?)(or that question mark? And should there have been a capital at the start there?))bongo)

This conversation has come up before. But it's a fairly interesting one, so continue.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bones McCoy:
quote:
But in 'Anomaly', Archer tortures someone? What the hell? And if that's not bad enough, all Reed does is half-whisper "Captain". No one tries to stop him, or even confronts him afterwards. Please, someone tell me it gets better. I don't wanna spend the rest of the season watching Archer prove how hard he is
They're terrorists, the Captain has special powers of authorization when it comes to them. It's about freedom, man.

Didn't Janeway support the Repubsies back in the 90's?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking about it, "frag" becoming a swear word isn't totally ludicrous. Although was it around in it's popular "killing someone in a FPS" form when B5 started?

I would like to do a study and see if the same people who like fake swear words are the same people who say "heck" and write "ooh, I would like to tell that Michael Moore to f**k off I would." I would then eat the study.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With chips and sauce?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With crow.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Father Ted's "FECK" is pretty good though. It's more powerful than fuck.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Recently, I've found myself making up lots of fake swear words. They're effective, get the point across, noone misunderstands me, and they go right over the heads of my one- and five-year olds. [Wink]

(Of course, half the time I end up sounding like Yosemite Sam.)

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Frelling" (I'm almost positive) and "Fekt" were both around waaaay back in the mid-80's in a (really great) comic book called Alien Legion.
...along with several other colorful swears that have no obvious meanings like "Nikt!" and "Son of a Bospor" (a Bospor is a smelly and/or lazy/worthless alien species).

Oddly, by the second A.L. series, the charcaters used "bitch" on occasion, but "bospor" was a real insult!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I'm being grumpy today.

quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Father Ted's "FECK" is pretty good though. It's more powerful than fuck.

1/ Feck was (originally) an actual Irish word unrelated to fuck. Those canny Irish realised it's similarity though and now pretty must use it as an accented fuck-substitute.

2/ It's plainly not more powerful than "fuck". That's silly talk along the lines of "I don't consider 'cunt' to be the strongest swear word". If you want to believe that, fine. You'll be an idiot though.
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Recently, I've found myself making up lots of fake swear words. They're effective, get the point across, noone misunderstands me, and they go right over the heads of my one- and five-year olds

I dread to ask, but...examples?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is 'cunt' the strongest swear word? I don't even know how it came about...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although was it around in it's popular "killing someone in a FPS" form when B5 started?

B5 started in '93. ('94 if you conveniently ignore The Gathering, which I do, because it sucked. (At first.)) DOOM was released in '93. Connection!

(Of course, nobody ever just says "Haha, I fragged you!" in an FPS either. "Fuck yeah, I fucking fragged your fucking ass, bitch!" would be closer to the norm, so Garibaldi still used it the wrong way. The amateuristic little cunt.)

[ April 11, 2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Cartman ]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frack it you frelling bastards!

As the years go by though, what gets allowed on TV changes. Last week I was watching a movie on TBS in which Ray Liotta's character yells out "Bullshit!" No bleeping or bizarre editing. I don't have a problem with swearing on TV but it was surprising to hear it.

I think swearing should be allowed and let people determine if they want it or not. Isn't that what the V-chip is for? For example for shows that have swearing has the L code at the beginning, simply set your V-chip to disable that show.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised when Mark Green said "Shit" on his last episode of ER. Network television, primetime. It was totally appropriate for the scene, but it took me by surprise.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that what the V-chip is for?

No, the v-chip is for being the stupidest thing ever. Have you ever watched one that tried to mute out bad words? Totally and utterly ineffective.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps