Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$These Are The Voyages$$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: $$$These Are The Voyages$$$
Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over the years I have been pretty supportive of Enterprise but this ep made me want my hour back. This was a horrible ending for the series. It would have made a much better season episode but not an ender to anything. Trip dying was just Berman and Braga trying to get everyone watching all emotional, and they failed. The scene was garbage. Makes me wish for a reset button.

--------------------
The Poster formally known as Tec.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just have one thing to say for now.

We never found out who Future Guy was, proving IIRC my old assertion in S1 that TPTB were just pulling long term plot stuff out of their collective asses ala X-Files.

I laugh at those of you that were optimistic in S1!

Hah!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only about halfway through the episode, but: it is a little odd that the plot of the very last episode of Enterprise revolves arounds Shran's troubles with the space mafia.

Also, I guess problems with the actual Enterprise parts of this episode could be fudged by remembering that it's just a recreation, and since I doubt there were cameras around all the time, some of it must be based on later recollections and historical reconstructions.

deadcujo
Spectator
Member # 13

- posted      Profile for deadcujo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad I finally got to see Riker get some closure. It was the perfect ending to a show that had nothing to do with him. Yay!

--------------------
Picard: Mr. Crusher, what's our maximum speed this week?
Wesley: [checking manual] Uh, 9.4, sir.
Picard: Very good. Take us to Warp 9.8 then.
Wesley: Aye, sir. Warp 9.2 it is.

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by, well, someone on ALFA's open forum:
they wrote many of the stories outright, and definitely monopolized the creative direction of the shows which have been increasingly lackluster. I don't know anything about the behind-the-scenes stuff either, but look at the output. There's lots of good creative sci-fi out there, but Star Trek seems to have spend a lot of its time navel-gazing. I'm not going to do a whole essay on that, just suffice it to say I'm glad the 'vision' part is out of their hands.

is it? i'm gonna ask Flare just that. there is plans for a movie still, new cast, set around the Rom wars themselves....

which would have occured had Paramountahorse DID something other suckle those fscks Beener & Beener.... [Mad]

so i ask this? Is ST offically and contractorly out of their hands, will they be gracitiou shown the door and a boot in the anus?

pray tell, i hope their next show IS reality related with goat fucking... [Mad]

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the historical recreation of Enterprise's final voyage would be based on crew reports, historical papers and psych profiles, at least it would have FELT real given the magic of the holodeck (at least to a Leah Brahms sort of level). Technically speaking, I'm sure Starfleet had accurate historical representations of what the ship, uniforms, and people really looked like at the time. So I'm sure it would be believeable enough for Riker to accept it as genuine advice...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While the historical recreation of Enterprise's final voyage would be based on crew reports, historical papers and psych profiles, at least it would have FELT real given the magic of the holodeck (at least to a Leah Brahms sort of level). Technically speaking, I'm sure Starfleet had accurate historical representations of what the ship, uniforms, and people really looked like at the time. So I'm sure it would be believeable enough for Riker to accept it as genuine advice...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
This wasn't a terrible episode, though it was the weakest of all the finales (even "Endgame"). I actually enjoyed how they worked this episode into the plot of a previous episode, and I especially enjoyed the CG E-D. However, they needed a stronger plot for this episode...maybe it should have centered around the founding of the Federation and had nothing to do with Shran. For once, no phase-firing action scenes?

I didn't like the way Tucker died, either; it just seemed out of character for him to all of a sudden blow himself up.

(As to the previous episode, "Terra Prime"...The "Carl Sagan Memorial Station?" It might as well be the "Carl Sagan Memorial Boulder.")

--------------------
Meh

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I follow. The Carl Sagan Memorial Station is real. It's on Mars right now. Well, minus the picket fence. See?

As to the episode: the problem with it as a finale is, I think, that if everything had gone wrong, the worst possible outcome is that Archer doesn't give a speech. (Well, and Shran's daughter dies, maybe, which would be sad.) The Federation still gets founded. Perhaps even a little sooner, now that the ceremony's schedule has been truncated.

That's a pretty minor peril to hang an ending on.

Anyway, perhaps the Riker and Troi parts were themselves on some holodeck further in the future, called up by some strange alien who needed some historical advice about what to do when you need historical advice.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And even if it had been a bigger peril to hang on to, every possible moment of emotion or significance was complety destroyed by a fat bloke in tight TNG suit reminding us that we're watching computer generated simulations of the actual crew.

Since the NX-01 is unlikely to have recorded every single detail of the characters (like the personal conversations with Chef), it's obvious that we're watching holographic semi-sentient persona, that are in no way related to the real ENT crew. They were programmed by 24th century holo-novelists. It was an episode about.. nothing.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, perhaps the Riker and Troi parts were themselves on some holodeck further in the future, called up by some strange alien who needed some historical advice about what to do when you need historical advice.

B5 ripoffs are so 1990s, though.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I'm not sure I follow. The Carl Sagan Memorial Station is real. It's on Mars right now. Well, minus the picket fence. See?

The thing is, the Memorial Station they showed is commemorated by a small obelisk, if I remember correctly. Couldn't they have done something a little more elaborate, maybe so visitors could find it while looking over a hill? I'm saying they might as well have given him a rock.

--------------------
Meh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, they did give him a rock. Just a nicely carved one.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Was that shot of Picard a body double, or reused footage?
It was reused footage from the early third season. You can tell because a lot of the extras were still wearing the first & second season jumpsuit, while Picard was clearly wearing the two-part uniform.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
And even if it had been a bigger peril to hang on to, every possible moment of emotion or significance was complety destroyed by a fat bloke in tight TNG suit reminding us that we're watching computer generated simulations of the actual crew.

Since the NX-01 is unlikely to have recorded every single detail of the characters (like the personal conversations with Chef), it's obvious that we're watching holographic semi-sentient persona, that are in no way related to the real ENT crew. They were programmed by 24th century holo-novelists. It was an episode about.. nothing.

Enter-Field? Sein-Prise?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.