Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Who was Future Guy? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Who was Future Guy?
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the should have originally been about the founding too. But once they made the pilot and chose the TCW as the arc for the show, they should've stuck with it and made the culmination of that story line the culmination of the show. If it also happened to tie in with the successful founding of the Federation, fine. It seems that that's what the TCW was trying to prevent anyway. Or it was at least one of its objectives. It's not like they'd be saying the events of Enterprise were the *only* stories to be told about the founding of the Federation.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Krenim. So out of 98 episodes, only 12 featured the series main plotline. That's definitely not the way to develop and steer the story.

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
But once they made the pilot and chose the TCW as the arc for the show, they should've stuck with it and made the culmination of that story line the culmination of the show. If it also happened to tie in with the successful founding of the Federation, fine. It seems that that's what the TCW was trying to prevent anyway. Or it was at least one of its objectives.

Right, and I agree with you on that. They thought a bunch of different factions spread across time on the brink of war would be an interesting idea, and I agree it could have been (leaving aside the various headaches that time travel usually gives me). But they seriously dropped the ball on it, and we complained as such during the run of the show.

quote:
It's not like they'd be saying the events of Enterprise were the *only* stories to be told about the founding of the Federation.
True, but for a good chunk of Enterprise's run, there was only one vessel capable of warp five; there were only two warp five ships for the duration of the show's run. A lot of the interesting stuff was happening "out there" where Enterprise (and later Columbia) was the only ship around. Granted, there was also some neat stuff going on around Earth with the anti-alien/human supremacy movements and some of the political maneuvering, and you wouldn't need a warp five ship for those stories.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the TCW as a main series arc could have been developed well while not focusing every other episode on it. Look at The X-Files. The main plot of the show was the alien invasion and conspiracy thing. But, especially early on, they only touched on it off and on.

Enterprise came back to it often, though probably not often enough. But it really needed a better send off than a season premiere "we're tired of this and have to wrap it up before we can move on to other things".

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely. The temporal cold war didn't need to be a part of every episode, but it certainly should have been involved in more than just 13% (more or less) of the episodes.

Plus, the season premiere needed to be something like "we're tired of this and have to wrap it up before we can move on to other things. Like Hoshi and T'Pol wrestling in a kiddy pool filled with baby oil with Captain Hernandez and T'Pau refereeing."

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew that the TCW was going to be a big disappointment every since the episode future tense(tholians!) when I realized most of these episodes created more questions than answers. Basically the TCW failed because it became too complex a storyline to follow.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I think the TCW as a main series arc could have been developed well while not focusing every other episode on it. Look at The X-Files. The main plot of the show was the alien invasion and conspiracy thing. But, especially early on, they only touched on it off and on.

And when they completely focused on it, it sucked ass in a way that even the most die-hard fan of the show could hardly stand.

Say what you will about Enterprise's final episode, it beat the fuck out of X-Files' end.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were more episodes that refered to it in some way than that. The one with the other guy from Quantum Leap. The one on Risa.

POSSIBLY MORE. (I don't know.)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the entire Xindi arc was really an outgrowth of it as well, since the Xindi ended up having been manipulated by the Spherebuilders/Guardians/Trans-dimensional aliens---one of the factions in the TCW.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...there are a couple of non TCW episodes where Archer gives T'Pol ribbing about the Vuclan Science geeks not believing in time-travel.

That's just some good continuity between episodes-take that TNG- you fuckers!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Say what you will about Enterprise's final episode, it beat the fuck out of X-Files' end.

Two things:

1. The X-Files ending was at the end of a series that should have finished 3 or 4 years earlier (Chris Carter was quoted as saying earlier on that the X-Files was only going to be made for 5 years), whereas Enterprise was just gaining ground and it would have been nice to have seen it have a full 7 year run.

2. What is it about the last episodes of series.

On tape somewhere I still have the final episode of The X-Files, Dark Angel *cough*Ally McBeal*cough* (HEY! It was good for the first 3 or 4 years. (When Robert Downy Junior left - it was shite) and Angel STILL to watch. Maybe not watching them makes me feel in the back of my mind they are still going!?!

I have Enterprise finale (actually last three episodes downloaded but not watched - that may have something to do that i've been fucking busy as lately!?!)

I have had - as of last night:

2 episodes of Dr. Who
1 episode of Family Guy
3 episodes of Enterprise
3 episodes of Battlestar Galactica
2 episodes of LOST
and The Revenge of the Sith

to watch.

I've knocked off Dr. Who and Family Guy last night! [Big Grin] All three episodes ROCKED!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Depends on which new Family Guy episode you're talking about. The first two of the new batch were pretty good, but I found the third one to be seriously lacking.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

My cable/internet at home is out till next friday- it was that or food/electricticty, so I've been reading some of the novels I've had piling up and building very nice models.

But....I'm going to see that Sith movie on Tuesday.

No one here shows Dr. Who so I'm fucked there- I'm always 800th in the que to download any of them on WinMx.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the problem is that you're using WinMX. I didn't even know it was still around.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good for music, but not a lot else.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I've got several episodes of Oblongs and MST3K lately.

What's better in your opinion? I'm looking for spyware-free. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps