Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » And now: The Pre-E Bridge! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: And now: The Pre-E Bridge!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.trektoday.com/news/100701_02.shtml

Check out that kuh-RAYZEE chair!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you look closely at the video clip, the bridge is a sort of Defiant/E-Nil cross with various TNG elements sprinkled in. There's a conference table in a sunken area aft, one turbo to port (with a dedication plaque on the wall next to is), and TNG-like free-standing stations port and starboard in front of the p/s wall stations. I *think* there's only one forward station/helm thing (which sucks, I miss the helm/nav combo).

Soneone else can comment on the graphics... A little TOS-ish...

And yes, I dig the big chair.

Mark

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They should have had two forward consoles. It's the least they could fucking do. But no, the precious bloody Defiant had one forward console, and their precious bloody Voyager had one forward console, so this one is going to have one forward console.

Now I'm really getting angry.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I like the bridge design.
IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god! There's only one forward station! For this I shall destroy the first-born son of Jeri Ryan and Brannon Braga!

I like the bridge set. It seems to be blending the conference room and bridge sets from the later series. It kinda makes sense given the small size of the Enterprise. And it will be nice to see actually knobs, buttons, and levers on the stations. The only problem is that we're going to have people in here complaining that someone didn't use the same button to fire the weapons in two different episodes.

It is brighter than the engineering set, though. I don't know if I like that too much, but I guess we'll see once more set footage comes out. Do you think there's any other way off of that bridge other than the turbolift?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt the lighting is representative of what it will look like on the show. I'm sure it was lit for the interview. The set lighting will most likely be much darker.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Like it , I like it Alot

OMG ! I JUST NOTICED ONLY ONE CONSOLE! HOW NOT LIKE THE REST OF THE BRIDGES! , THATS IT BOYCOTT TIME THEY ARE SCREWING CONTINUITY!

Oh please , make up your mind , do you want orginality or more and more copy and paste?

Personally I like the way the monitors are external , not built into the wall like the rest of the bridges.

As for the lighting , I agree with Aban Rune its probley going to be darker for the show.

And as for the chair... Very Nice.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
`xcuse me... if you look at the console's that is copy paste. They are using the black/pink/purple/orange combo that is most characteristic of TNG LCARS. If they want it to be like TOS, then black/green/yellow/red is the standard.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank god the similarities to other Trek ships are not as blatant as in the outer appearance. But it isn't really visionary either if all bridges are alike, even 100 years before Kirk. Kirk's chair on a raised platform in the middle, some movie-style handrails, one turbolift door, and Tom Paris' helm station.

But it's not a disappointment. I like the metallic look of the railings, the buttons on the helm console and especially the open conference room.
I'm not yet sure if I will like the TFT screens that are popping out from every free square centimeter of the walls. If they really need so many displays (more than one for every crew member?), wouldn't they be arranged in a way that they look less improvised? On the other hand, if the ship was hastily sent on its first mission... I also wonder if the resolution of the screens will be limited to XGA with poor brightness, or more precisely, if we will notice that they are limited. This is the one thing that may really look more primitive than in TOS!

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
I also wonder if the resolution of the screens will be limited to XGA with poor brightness, or more precisely, if we will notice that they are limited.

Well, they were described in an interview as "plasma screens," and I don't think that was in-character technobabble. All I know is that plasma TVs cost the most, which is why I settled for a WEGA. They appear to be high-resolution monitors.

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading Berman's Interview in the TV Guide and he brought up a good point about the limitations these Art Guys are facing , I mean , how do you make the ship and props look Pre TOS when in modern times my cell phone does 5 times what Kirks Communicator does and in a smaller package , and when when my PDA is smaller then Spocks old "PADD"/Clip Board looking device.

The way i see the Art designers are looking more at modern times then TOS as to how they will frame the interior of the ship.

I really like how the interior is coming along and the more i look at the ship the more I see it fitting into the timeframe , Wes's 3d rendering really gives me new prespective.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, they were described in an interview as "plasma screens," and I don't think that was in-character technobabble. All I know is that plasma TVs cost the most, which is why I settled for a WEGA. They appear to be high-resolution monitors.

They should have taken cheap TFT screens and rather have bought more creativity for Eaves.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

That's part of the perspective. I'm looking at it as a series set a hundred years AFTER FIRST CONTACT, instead of a hundred years BEFORE TOS. Take the world as you saw it in the movie, and move it forward a hundred years. With that perspective, things really seem to mesh much better.

Mark

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something that I'd like to see: Take the Constitution and Enterpriseify it. If it were a 3D model, take the Constitution mesh but use Enterprise-style textures. I don't suggest that the actual ship looked any different than it always has, but I'd like to see just for fun (or terror, if you hate Enterprise).

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to the vid, I didn't catch much of it. The sound came in fine, but the video was nothing more than a couple blurred frames. I couldn't even make out who was who, or save it to my harddrive to watch it more clearly. Damn streaming video...
quote:
I mean , how do you make the ship and props look Pre TOS when in modern times my cell phone does 5 times what Kirks Communicator does and in a smaller package , and when when my PDA is smaller then Spocks old "PADD"/Clip Board looking device.

Couldn't agree more. TOS tech was meant to look futuristic in the 60's, they had no way of knowing what our technology would be like 30, almost 40 years later. Sure it makes TOS look even more off, but what do you expect them to do? Make it primative by TOS standards? I want consisting as much as the next guy, but if that were to happen, it'd look like it came from the Stone Age by our modern standards and (fictional) tech from the 22nd century will look less advanced than real tech from the 21st century.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps