Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » These are the Daedalus?

Author Topic: These are the Daedalus?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got done watching ENT season 4, and Trip telling the Captain "here we are, drinkin' to warp 7" made me ponder how little I know about early Federation stuff... what ships were there between the founding of the Federation and the TOS era? Was the Daedalus the new warp 7 ship they were talking about? And what about that umm SS Valiant mentioned in TOS as the first starship to cross out of the galaxy?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, remember this is the same early Starfleet that made first contact with a massive empire only four days away... Remember, way back then they used IMPERIAL units for days and light years, which were much longer than the days and light years we use in the TNG era.

And IMO, the implication for me is that the new warp 7 ships are the Daedalus class or one close to it.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
Just got done watching ENT season 4, and Trip telling the Captain "here we are, drinkin' to warp 7" made me ponder how little I know about early Federation stuff... what ships were there between the founding of the Federation and the TOS era? Was the Daedalus the new warp 7 ship they were talking about? And what about that umm SS Valiant mentioned in TOS as the first starship to cross out of the galaxy?

Yeah I asked that same question as well.
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php/topic/6/2686/3.html

I wish there was more info on the Daedalus class. I don't think it gets the respect it deserve.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What respect? You've got A Name, and then a barely glimpsed model that you can claim illustrates it. (And I'm not really suggesting that that isn't the Daedalus, or that the intentions of the production staff can't be considered when it comes to ones preferred Big Starship List. But really, its all pretty tenuous. And what's so great about it anyway? We just like the most the things we can't have.)
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just meant that I wish there was some more fleshed out info on the ship. Maybe I shouldn't have had used the word respect. And don't get your planets in a knot, I was just saying. [Razz]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can use any word you want; your post just reminds me of the occasionally bewildering (and OK, not uncharming) attachment to very minor details. (Which then have a tendency to swing around into angry backlashes.)
Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's ugly, anyway. Clunky looking.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So are *real* spacecraft.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

You really think so? I never really thought any real spacecraft was ugly...can't think of one I'd call clunky, either...mayyyybe the Soyuz module...
WizArtist II
"How can you have a yellow alert in Spacedock? "
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for WizArtist II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gemini

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world...those that understand Binary and those that don't.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

And Apollo.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps