Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The End of AN Era, the beginning of new things :Pedotrek! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The End of AN Era, the beginning of new things :Pedotrek!
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But still, for an animal to be built like that?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Roman times, the rhinoceros & the giraffe were considered bizarre oddities created by Jove as a drunken lark. Look at some of the other deep-sea creatures that still amaze people to this day.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not referring to it's appearance, but to its ability to withstand so much weapons fire.
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
I'm not referring to it's appearance, but to its ability to withstand so much weapons fire.

Well since today is fat jokes day...

The Cloverfield Monster is powered by (Star Trek XI Forum!!!!) Ohpratechnology!

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, note the math. Two Volvos per inch. If it can bear that much weight over such a large area, I'd be surprised if anything short of a nuclear device would make much of a dent.

Think of it this way: If you slingshot rocks at a car, what are the chances you're going to penetrate the outer shell & damage the inside enough to stop it?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
The wiki says that Abrams has said the thing was asleep for thousands of years in the Mid-Atlantic Rift or something (it said "rift," there's only one in the Atlantic that I know of...and nothing is that freaking tough. I don't care if it has diamond-titanium skin. After all those soldiers with assault rifles, tanks, fighter jets, and *B-2's dropping MOABs,* it would be *toast.*

Dude, let me explain something to you. At a depth of 2 & a half miles, the equivalent water pressure is 5880 pounds per square inch; for a visual example, imagine two Volvos sitting on just your big toe. At 10,000 feet down, a Styrofoam coffee cup gets compressed to the size of a thimble. Now, there are many organisms that reside at those depths, & the larger they are, the squishier they are usually--the 40-foot giant squid, for example. Now, for something with the rigidity of the Cloverfield monster to survive intact at those depths, at those pressures, & not be compressed it would have to have an outer casing with at LEAST the same properties as the Mir submersibles' 5-cm-thick nickel/steel pressure sphere...& that's 1987 technology.
......Which was rather my *point*.....it isn't going to feel a little satellite dropping on its head, by the time the satellite gets to the bottom, if it could somehow hypothetically survive the descent ("it" being the satellite, not the monster). Also, you might want to look into the concussive pressures generated by a MOAB. Not to mention if it could be that rigid and survive those pressures it should die of decompression at sea level.
Teh PW
Member # 1203

/me casts Summon Kuddle Kittens Three on thread.

Me say this! ENT dies! Nim Lives!

uh, well i think i got the quote right...

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
/me bounces your Kuddle Kitten with a Decree of Silence
Shik
Member # 343

quote:
......Which was rather my *point*.....it isn't going to feel a little satellite dropping on its head, by the time the satellite gets to the bottom, if it could somehow hypothetically survive the descent ("it" being the satellite, not the monster).

Hey, not everyone is a heavy sleeper.
quote:
Also, you might want to look into the concussive pressures generated by a MOAB. Not to mention if it could be that rigid and survive those pressures it should die of decompression at sea level.
We don't know the biology of the thing. It might have a pressure system built-in.In fact, if it's as amphibious as I've heard, then it would damn well have to.

--------------------

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

I dunno. Maybe I'm taking my disgust with the plot a bit too far and spilling it onto the monster.
Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
/me bounces your Kuddle Kitten with a Decree of Silence

Ya know, in the hey day of my RP play of Millia on ALFA, some folks would have killed for that to be cast on her... or at least a permancied 'Comprehend Languages'?

Nobody save JenWa or maybe Dara was bright enough to yell at Millia to explain things in Elvish

--------------------

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The real issue is not the creatures ability to survive at extreme depth, but it's abilty to come to the surface and go on a city destroying rampage.

If it's terrestrial (well from earth I mean, as it obviously came from the sea), it's probably mostly water - water is fairly incompressable, so the whole livng at the bottom of the sea thing does not mean that it has to be armour plated etc: a styrofoam cup shrinks to the size of an (almost) unexpanded styrofoam cup, as in, the styrofoam containing no air - that's whats compressed, the air, not the styrofoam (allthough obviously at such pressure it will be pressed into a very rigid mass).

The armour would be nessecary to support the huge weight of the creature on land, not at the bottom of the ocean. Of course, the creature seems to be huge enough that it might just have a tough and thick enough hide, or even some sort of exoskeletal structure that allows it to surivive being shot at, blown up, bombed and so forth. It's just not very likely, I think, given the amount of punishment thrown its way.

The other thing is of course how the creature breathes - as I said before any air filled cavities at great depth are a no-no, so it must either be able to expell all of the air before it takes a dip, or it has gills or something, and is able to go long periods before it repleneshes it's oxygen supply (unlikely given it's size), or it's amphibian, and can do both.

By the way, given that this is the Enterprise forum, aren't we getting a little off track. I know Cloverfield had the Trek 11 trailer tacked on to it, but this is pushing it fellas.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Teh PW
Member # 1203

Heh, the point was too get a new forum made, decommision ENT and me get the last word!

[Big Grin]

but you can blame me for driving the topic bus funny like, dear... [Wink]

--------------------

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

Speaking of Cloverfield

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23116226-38198,00.html

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Yes, given that the point was to demolish the ENT forum, maybe getting off track is perfect [Big Grin]

Although I'd love to see what Enterprise's pitiful little spatial torpedoes would do to that monster. Probably less than those soldiers' M16s.

Oh man, that story bothers me, because it's getting so much attention. CNN even had a whole segment about it. Apparently the attention is because they don't know yet where it will land... Yeah, well, they will when the time comes, and if it's gonna fall on a populated area they'll shoot it down.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps