Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The End of AN Era, the beginning of new things :Pedotrek! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The End of AN Era, the beginning of new things :Pedotrek!
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize how insanely difficult it is to shoot something like that down?
Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about the capabilities of weapons systems, but I've heard a missile from a Nighthawk can hit a particular window in a particular building from two miles away...if that's true, then our missile systems must be pretty accurate...and if they know the trajectory of the thing they're trying to hit, couldn't they just fire a few missiles and one would have to hit close enough? I mean, if they know it'll be at Y location at X time, isn't the only problem how close to Y and X they can put a missile?
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post 
Missle Defence Shield? Guess the best time to test it is now... ?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Butler:
I mean, if they know it'll be at Y location at X time, isn't the only problem how close to Y and X they can put a missile?

Well, there's the question of how well they know it's trajectory. In 2002 the landing zone of the debris from a previous falling satellite was miscalculated by several thousand miles. Also, trajectories are a lot easier to calculate for purely celestial objects. Once that satellite hits the atmosphere it's path can become unpredictable, especially as it begins breaking up. Also, lobbing missiles about might cause more problems than it would solve. Accidentally landing some explosives in an unfortunate place may be worth it if you're trying to stop a nuclear warhead, but if the object you're trying to shoot down isn't especially explosive, you might be better off letting it land.

Officially, they're worried about beryllium in the satellite, which can cause problems if inhaled. Considering how far the debris of this satellite will probably be spread, and the low level of exposure that anyone would be likely to receive, I'm not sure why they're all that worried... unless of course the satellite also carries the dreaded Andromeda Strain.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I saw on the news they're shooting it down.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw that. THey were originally planning on launching the missile earlier, (i think today) but they decided to let ATLANTIS come down from orbit first. How nice of them.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well last I heard they might not do to choppy water. See they're launching the missile from a ship.
Sean
First Tenor
Member # 2010

- posted      Profile for Sean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's simple. Launch it from a submarine. I think most cruise missles and SAM's are able to be launched from the Torp tubes of a modern attack sub. They're gyro-stabalized to compensate for the choppy seas, or something.

--------------------
"Kosh, I'd like to introduce you to our Resident schmuck and his side kick Kick Me."-Ritten

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity".
-George Carlin

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the USS Lake Erie (CG-70) that shot it down.
Zefram
Member # 1568

- posted      Profile for Zefram     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently they used one of the newer anti-ballistic missiles to destroy the satellite.

You know, modern warfare has become extremely dependent on GPS satellites, spy satellites, etc. If multiple nations were to develop similar missiles, a whole lot of military technology and hardware would suddenly become a lot less effective once the satellites started coming down.

--------------------
"Having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Daniel Butler
Member # 1689

Hence why the Machines won the war.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zefram:
Apparently they used one of the newer anti-ballistic missiles to destroy the satellite.

You know, modern warfare has become extremely dependent on GPS satellites, spy satellites, etc. If multiple nations were to develop similar missiles, a whole lot of military technology and hardware would suddenly become a lot less effective once the satellites started coming down.

One of the issues in the early days of the First Gulf War was that Iraq still had access to satellite feeds provided by the West. Reason? Too many other countries were also subscribing to the same weather satellite signals for that part of the world so they couldn't or wouldn't shut it off.
shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

I dunno. Just thought I'd post something on here. I do remember when this was a VOY thread. Now it's lifeless. Is there any plans to replace this with something else...?

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by shikaru808:
a VOY thread. Now it's lifeless.

Wasn't this an ENT thread? And isn't it's lifelessness very symbolic?

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would assume. I actually enjoyed the last season a lot. But I really think that they should have made the whole Xindi thing into the Earth-Romulan War. Would have been a lot cooler and definitely more canon.

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps