Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Braga Strikes Again! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Braga Strikes Again!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the past few months/years, we've heard a whole lot of rumors about the premise of Series V, ranging from a Starfleet Academy series to a Time Patrol premise to BOTF. One of the sillier concepts that I remember was the one that actually combined the time travel idea and the BOTF concept. I dismissed it at the time as more baseless rumormongering.

Never in my worst nightmares did I think that this rumor would actually turn out to be true.

quote:
"We will learn that the Suliban - who were formerly a relatively unimportant species - have now gotten important very quickly. They are being given technical information and assistance - particularly in regard to genetic engineering - from the distant future, where there is a temporal cold war going on. One of the fronts of that war is the 22nd Century. But whom the Suliban are taking instructions from and for what purpose are things that will remain very veiled and quite spooky." --Rick Berman
Source: Trek Today. (URL)

This deal is getting worse all the time...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm. The concept sound interesting. However. Whth a concept like this, the big part will be how TPTB will pull it off.
IP: Logged
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would You rather this be like Voyager? Where they ignore the general premise and fly around every week and learn the same moral they learned maybe a week before and just fly around randomly ?

I like the fact that this show has a Premise and I hope this Series uses an Arc based story telling process similar to Ds9 and B5 , I cant say I've liked any Star Trek since the end of Ds9 , those last season episodes were great.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me, or is a "temporal cold war" the first real fresh take on time travel we've had in years? I mean, I may get tomatoed for it, but I like the sound of it. And this pretty much confirm's there'll be something of a continuing story going on in the background. Aren't wanking "bermun and bragga must boyl in hell" fanboys meant to be attracted to arcs like moths to a flashlight?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right on, Tom. I've never heard of anything like a temporal cold war. This DOES allow them to change history and continuity to some degree, just so long as everything turns out the same. And we know it CAN turn out the same, because we have "our" side in the cold war to make sure of it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
Is it just me, or is a "temporal cold war" the first real fresh take on time travel we've had in years? I mean, I may get tomatoed for it, but I like the sound of it. And this pretty much confirm's there'll be something of a continuing story going on in the background. Aren't wanking "bermun and bragga must boyl in hell" fanboys meant to be attracted to arcs like moths to a flashlight?

You're damn right it's fresh. I wish I thought of it first so I can use it for my own stories. I don't think the idea of a temporal cold war has ever been used. Ya know. This idea does leave the door wide open for Captian Braxton and company to show up!

IP: Logged
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And this pretty much confirm's there'll be something of a continuing story going on in the background. Aren't wanking "bermun and bragga must boyl in hell" fanboys meant to be attracted to arcs like moths to a flashlight?

This is a good thing. Hasn't anybody else noticed that icnreasingly large story arcs are becoming the general trend on television; West Wing, Sports Night, ER, to name only a few (yes I know two of them are Aaron Sorkin but he's the big man in Hollywood these days). Not to mention the entire reality TV fad which are shows governed by a single arc taken to the extreme.

I think that was one of the major sources of Voyager's dissapointment. It aired at the very inception of this trend and had the greatest story arc dramatic premise of them all. Every episode there was the lost-and-trying-to-get-home plotline for seven years. Think about the possible stories about finally running out of torpedoes or learning how to replicate shuttles or decently written stories about running out of energy/food/etc.

But instead we got a show where shuttles came out of nowhere, Borg babies disappeared into nowhere, entire sections of the ship are blown to pieces only to be (for lack of a better term) 'reset' the next week, and characters change for no reason (C/7 in Endgame).

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was my silly concept you referred to.
(smile when you say that, stranger...).

Actually, I was hoping that Cptn. Braxton's contemporaries (if such a thing can exist) would become recurring characters. The cold war concept does seem to be fairly original - from a Trek point of view. Of course, it's simply a rehash of Poul Anderson's Time Patrol stories...

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, everybody stamped my idea out like a weed in my "How they might just get away with it all..." thread, but it seems like you might be more partial to it here.

What if, because of all these temporal occurrences, Ent takes place in an altered timeline from the one we're used to, and so any inconsistencies or differences from what we've come to accept can be attributed to that. I think it's a wonderful idea because they can do their whole reshaping, widening-the-fan-base thing without enraging and betraying hard core fans. (like me )

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um... If there's actual fighting going on w/ these Suliban fellows, doesn't that make it a normal war, not a cold one?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fighting might not be all out war, but just skirmishes here and there and some espionage. You know, Bond kinda stuff.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By Cold War, I'm thinking Berman is referring to the idea of a conflict between two future forces (one of which could be the Future Federation) in which the actual fighting is done via proxy in various past times.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend towards anti-time travel, but it sounds neat. Set it far enough in the future, past the heat death of the universe, and all wars will be cold wars.

However, as far as arcs go...Sports Night crashed and burned and ER is a soap opera. General Hospital has arcs too, stretching over the decades. That isn't an unqualified Good Thing.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At least it shows that the show has Direction , i like it and i will wait and see , I'm waiting for Arc based. I hope , i pray

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Out of curiosity, has anyone come across any scifi literature that did have this idea of a temporal wars-by-proxy? They say that there's nothing new under the sun when it comes to scifi, but I certainly can't think of anything remotely close to this in filmed scifi.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps