Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Braga Strikes Again! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Braga Strikes Again!
Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In flimed scfi I don't think that there has been anyhting like the temporal cold war. As Treknophyle mentioned there are written scfi instances such as Andersons Time patrol series. Also I think I heard of one called mulitiverse or timeline wars that which I think had in part the bad guys starting the French Revolution. I read a short story called A quiet Dry war which featured a time war involving volunteers or proxies but that was up time (forward from the POV of the Character)

It sounds like it could be an interesting idea and could explain some contunity mistakes. I read some where that the bad guys couldn't change the timline to much or else they would disappear.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fritz Leiber has a series of Change War stories involving two alien species called the Spiders and the Snakes who try to change existence by time travel. Human get caught in middle.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312890788/qid=994851919/sr=1-1/ref=sc_b_1/104-0173489-4144714

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Science Fiction.

Hyperion has two rather powerful entities which may or may not be God sending warriors traveling backwards through time to destroy/save humanity.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it doesn't exactly fit the "cold" part of cold war, the closest big budget Hollywood movie I can think of that used a temporal cold-war by proxy idea would be "Terminator" and its sequel.
Reginald Barclay
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, maybe this can be a rationalization of all the retconning. This is a new Enterprise that didn't exist in the timeline we're familiar with, created by actions of future agents in response to this unknown race. Which explains why Kirk, Picard, etc. never referred to it. And it used some designs and technologies surreptitiously introduced by those agents, which is why it looks just like a ship from two centuries later in the original timeline.

Nevertheless, I get the sinking feeling that we're going to see ever more of the Braga reset button than ever before. And of course he's still thinking too damn linear for time travel. He's not as smart as he thinks. If someone is sending agents to subvert the 22nd century, why can't their opponents send agents to do the same in the 21st century? And they could leapfrog each other further into the past that way instead of just picking a few years in the 22nd century to focus on. The whole point of time travel is that you have all of time to mess around with. So forget the temporal cold war, how about a temporal arms race, so to speak?

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Reginald Barclay ]

IP: Logged
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To quote Geordi:

"Take it easy, Reg."

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can't take a temporal cold war too far, for the same reason you can't take a terrestrial cold war too far. You might blow stuff up. Like, everything. Though in a temporal cold war, the term "everything" becomes far more inclusive.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps