Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » WYSIWYG... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: WYSIWYG...
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Phoenix in FC was very well done. It looked exactly as it should. When you saw it, it reminded you of the old tech of the original Enterprise. This is NOT by any stretch the case with Ent. This ship is just not right. It looks anachronistic, and so I'm hoping that that's exactly what it is: and anachronism. Otherwise, it's just stupid.

Sorry to be blunt.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whats the point of that post? You've said this in at least 4 other threads. Yes, we know, you don't like it. Move on.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you like ignore whole paragraphs in my posts?

They want to make a show that looks Futuristic to todays viewer , not to people who have watched the rest of trek. And I agree with Mark , the producers are using First Contact as their base design.

By your logic of "prequel" First Contact should have been shot with all the 21st Century wearing TOSish costuming and props and set design ,and the ship should have been a Real Model except of a CGI Model with no detailing.

That would be an abomination , not Enterprise.

This Enterprise fits the time frame. But I guess they cant please everyone.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Don't come up with a new show that's supposed to be older than it, but looks far newer.

Uhh Mim , ITS NOT MEANT TO BE A PREQUEL TO TOS ITS MEANT TO TELL THE STORY OF THE PRE FEDERATION ENTERPRISE.

Just look at it that way. Since you obviously were praying they were going to go do a TOS remake or somthing. They want to make a successful show , not a laughing stock.

--------------------

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like an Enterprise that looks like it could have predated TOS. I do not believe that TPTB need to make something cheesy and cheap looking to do that.

I first pondered the question of how a designer could pull off a cool pre-TOS look waaaay back when Harve Bennet was trying to push through his Kirk and Spock at the academy idea.

Basically I always felt that a talented designer could take an approach that drew heavily on the aesthetic sensibilities of the late 40s-50s. It doesn't have to look more primative than TOS, just like something that looks like it could have preceded it.

I think the current Star Trek Universe justification is that TOS looked like it did because that was the style of the 2260s (though I have only Jadzia's tricorder speech from Trials and Tribblations to back up this theory). There were buttons and switches and big stupid looking clipboard thingees because that was the cool style of the day. Things that looked stupid in TOS do not have to look stupid in Enterprise.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not saying they should use a cheap model. I'm saying that the Phoenix looked old. The magnificent model of the E-nil from Trials and Tribble-ations, even with Greg Jein's added, enhancing surface detailing, looked old. This Ent does not look old, and it should.

Obi Juan:
I should smack you for that remark. I don't think anything on TOS looked stupid. Well, except for maybe that Indian headband thingee Kirk wore in that one ep...

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

Theres a Differance between Enterprise and those 2 examples you made.

#1 The CGI Artists in Trails and Tribulations already had a design and a frame work to stay in.

#2 The Phoenix was built on an ICBM Booster , so they knew the ship had to be a cylinder base shape then add a whole bunch of things

I'm sorry to say but TOS was camp as camp could get , I mean i probley would have been laughing my ass off even back in 60s , not that I didnt like TOS , the stories were cool , but I could never get over the probs and stuff.

[ July 10, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Obvious ]

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
This Ent does not look old, and it should.

Really? I think it looks old. Oh well. All opinions.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The CGI Artists in Trails and Tribulations already had a design and a frame work to stay in."

What CGI artists? The Enterprise, D7 and K-7 station were all models built by Greg Jein.

And I don't think that he really added much surface detail at all. The original ship had a lot more detail than we saw. It was just washed out by the bright lights and poor film used.

"I don't think anything on TOS looked stupid."

Did you see the Tellerites in Journey to Babel?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The discussion has moved on from the Star Wars bit but the comment still bears expressing.

Does anybody think that defending the concept of a prequel series is helped by citing The Phantom Menace? That's like defending the concept of dirigibles by citing the Hindenburg...

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to know what the sets/props/costumes would look like if logically 100 years prior to TOS - watch Forbidden Planet.

Much as I love the movie - I wouldn't want those designs

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Powerpuff Girls film to going to be a prequel.

It's the in thing, it seems.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

At least it'll probably be consistent.
And yes, while I liked TPM, it just didn't look like a prequel, did it?

All you fans of modern tech out there, as horrifying as it may seem, I for one would like to see a campy, retro, sci-fi series done in the style and spirit of TOS. You, know, sort of like a little time travel trip. Much more effective than those damnable imitation VW Beetles you see everywhere these days.

Go ahead, scoff if you like, but I think it would be great.

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you all know what I think, I'm siding with MMoM.

Although I wouldn't want the campness of TOS, the style, feel, and pre-designs I would want. It should look as if it does indeed precede the TOS time period. If you want to embrace and acknowledge the whole Star Trek universe, then it's got to be heavily centred around a plausible continuity.

Who cares if the tech seems retro. That's what it looked like in TOS. And so what if you think it looks cheesy? Trek doesn't have an everlasting life span in this respect, because 20 years from now we may be laughing at TNG for looking so '80s', etc.... Something to ponder isn't it...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

The Red Admiral , if they dont modernize Star Trek it probley wont be on in 20 years.

They are not trying to make a TOS prequel , they are making a new Star Trek series that tells the story of what happend before it. This show isnt for the hardcore fan , i think its pretty obvious they are trying to reinvent Star Trek for modern times , going back and rehashing TOS will not do this , They want to move away from TOS , personally I think its the way to go , they dont want "Just Another Star Trek Show"

I know you all cant seem to understand this move , but if some have to be left behind for the franchise to live and Prosper , not just stay alive , I am all for it.

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Obvious ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps