Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Return of Stargate (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Return of Stargate
The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the film a week or two ago on TV, and it's not so bad. It is however not a patch on the TV show, and while I know Emmerich has always talked about doing a 'film trilogy' in a separate universe, it still pisses me off that he'd actually want to disregard SG-1 etc, which were ultimately a lot better than the original film.

I suppose the studio looked at Star Trek '09 and though we can do that, but I wish they wouldn't. I'm so fed up with reboots, redo's or ten year gap sequels. Is Hollywood completely bereft of original ideas?

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, & it's their own fault. Everything is packaging, committee efforts, & people sticking their dick into someone's mashed potatoes to try & get a piece of things. It kills the joy of the process.

A few years back, my roommate at the time got super excited hearing that Guillermo Del Toro was looking to do a movie of H.P. Lovecraft's "In The Mountains Of Madness", which is a super-creepy tale & could be amazing if given the right hand at the helm—which del Toro would be. I told her it'd never go through, because the studios would demand too many changes, like a love story. ("It already has a love story", she said. "It's between shoggoths & insanity.") True enough, a few months later del Toro says it's a no-go: every studio wanted too many changes, & each one asked him if there was a way to work a romance plot into it.

Other than things like Marvel movies & the occasional whatsit (& even those I usually see on DVD or download), I've given Hollywood a total pass. Most of the movies I enjoy come from overseas (such as "The Lunchbox", which I saw in a theater about 2 months ago & was amazing), from unknown indie filmmakers, or from bigger names doing smaller personal projects (like Jon Favreau's "Chef", which was fantastic & has an all-star cast even for bit parts). Like music, originality exists but it can't be found with the major labels.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps