Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Everyone's view on Enterprise

Author Topic: Everyone's view on Enterprise
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have realized something. The latest Star Trek series is designed for a new audience. The show will most likely be a success, and there will be 5 types of Star Trek fans:

Those who watch the show and have no problem dealing with or explaining the events of it, who enjoy it and accept it as apart of star trek, which is what it is.

Those who watch it and nitpick it, don't really like it but feel they must watch it because, after all, it is Star Trek.

Those who watch it and become a fan. They go back and watch other Star Trek episodes and depending on weather they like it or not, become a new Star Trek fan. This is the type of viewer this show was designed for.

Those who do not watch it, and continues to enjoy the other series and other movies and remains a strong fan that contributes to the greatness that is Trek.

Then the ones I will greatly dislike, the ones who will complain about every last aspect of the new show, claim they absolutely hate it, and continue to watch it and attack every positive opinion about it, just for the sake of 'venting'.

A lot of Star Trek fans today are upset about the new series because it will attract new fans. It may seem that the producers of the show are phasing out the old fans for new ones. Maybe that’s true... i for one will most likely enjoy Enterprise. Everyone has their right to express their opinion about the matter, and a LOT of us have been constantly debating over weather it the new show be good or not. Maybe not directly, but there has been plenty of conflicting views, people picking apart other peoples posts and such. Anyway, this is all we can do until the premiere. None of us is any of the above 5 fans right now.

IMO, we should all relax. Wait for the premiere and go our separate ways. Until then, we can analyze what we have and try not to argue any point, since nothing we complain about now will change the premiere or the ship design or whatever you may like or dislike about the new series. I hope everyone is happy with thier decision.

[Edited because I think too fast]

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's five types.
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Wes. Now we should assign nomenclature to the types.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Then the ones I will greatly dislike, the ones who will complain about every last aspect of the
new show, claim they absolutely hate it, and continue to watch it and attack every positive
opinion about it, just for the sake of 'venting'.

Which happened for the first 4 seasons of DS9 - which annoyed me to NO end... I loved it from Emissary - it was what got me into Trek.

It NEVER stopped with Voyager - AT ALL - and at times I could agree, then I'd get off the net - and go watch a new episode and be TOTALLY entertained... and everything that was mashed about with the episode on the net all extremely falsified.

There are a few exceptions. Threshold for example... ;o)

I think there are some 'not so great' Voyager episodes recently too... like "Repression" that was the most POINTLESS episode of Star Trek I have EVER seen... well... the last half anyway. It just was utter crap - it built up to NOTHING. I think "The Fight" was better than Repression.

Again, there are episodes of DS9 that people bag - one episode namely, "Profit and Lace". That was one freakingly funny episode. Everyone hated it, and even Ira and Ron etc. were kicking themselves over that one - after the 'net reaction over it. I say to them - don't... that was one FUNNY episode. How they could go from "Seige of AR-558" to "Profit and Lace" to "In the Pale Moonlight"... shows what a wonderful grasp they had on that series.

Anyway, I digress.

I'm wondering if there are still and TOS only fans out there?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew said what I was afraid to say.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes1701E:
A lot of Star Trek fans today are upset about the new series because it will attract new fans. It may seem that the producers of the show are phasing out the old fans for new ones.

Wes I hope you have some idea what you're saying... with that. You'd prefer to have Enterprise fans instead of Star Trek fans...

I'd love to see more Star Trek fans. I'd love to see a new series. But what I don't want to see is a popularity contest. These new fans will be more likely to accept things from Enterprise that contridict with the rest of Star Trek.

Star Trek ain't broke, there is no need to fix it. Enterprise has great potential, yet it's lost a lot of it already by messing with the formula. The truth of the situation is this: with reason or not, having seen the show or not, there is a sizable portion of current fans that are unhappy with the new series--- this should be enough for *all* our questions to be directly answered, our concerns to be noticed, and for unprecedent access to information about the show.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
Star Trek ain't broke, there is no need to fix it. Enterprise has great potential, yet it's lost a lot of it already by messing with the formula. The truth of the situation is this: with reason or not, having seen the show or not, there is a sizable portion of current fans that are unhappy with the new series---

How have you determined this? Take the TrekWeb.com poll regarding the Enterprise design. With 1143 respondents, 64% approve of the design. Compare that to Bernd's site (visited mostly by techies like us), and with 473 respondets, only 20% gave a positive reponse. What does this tell us? The opinions of the tech fans around here do not represent the Trek fans at large. The millions of Trek fans who watch the show for entertainment and love it, those millions who are looking forward to Enterprise as is, are of opinions no less valid than yours or mine, and are certainly more numerous. Does spending time (voluntarily, I might add) thinking about this fictional technology really make our thoughts more important? I think not.

quote:

this should be enough for *all* our questions to be directly answered, our concerns to be noticed, and for unprecedent access to information about the show.

To paraphrase an episode of the Simpsons, they've given us countless hours of free entertainment, and they owe us?

Am I the only one here who thinks that, for the most part, the evolution of Star Trek has been positive? That, despite the negatives, Star Trek continues to entertain and provoke thought? If you don't think so, why do you continue to watch? And if you do think so, then I think we owe them our gratitude for spending those twelve-hour days to bring it to us.

I'll be the first to admit that everone is entitled to their own opinion. I'm sure several of you will boycott Enterprise, though it won't make a blip in the ratings (whatever those ratings might be). But I, personally, think that it is absurdly narrow-minded to form an opinion about something that you haven't even seen.

People act like Rick Berman and Brannon Braga are the source of all evil, responsible for every bad element of recent Star Trek. But what about those elements you like? Aren't Berman and Braga also responsible for those as well? And, as I said before, if you dislike more than you like, then why do you torture yourself week after week with something you hate?

In conclusion, it seems to me that people are taking things to unneccesary emotional extremes. If you don't like the way Enterprise is shaping up, fine. That's no reason to have actual anger towards people who, by all rights, have no obligation to you or anyone else.

Oh, nevermind, I just missed the time when Rick Berman said, "Thank you, obsessed tech fans, for nitpicking my shows and drawing pretty pictures of starships; as a reward for your dedication to my livelihood, I will give you a new Star Trek that will be everything you want and nothing you don't. Fuck ratings, you guys matter more than anyone else. You're tops!"

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Wes
Member # 212

I love you Ryan.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't tell my girlfriend, she'll make me move out!

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amen Ryan.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.