Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The Akiraprise

Author Topic: The Akiraprise
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is, and I'll sum it up short.

This is a new show, they should have a new, original design. They don't. We've all seen the Akira.

The E-D was totally different to what had come before

DS9 wasn't 'alluded to' before 1993

Voyager was quite unique and DIFFERENT - even compared to the E-D which had just appeared a handful of years before.

The Akiraprise - really isn't new and interesting. Something that the 'signature piece' of a New Trek series should have.

Why they are even DOING a new Trek series so soon... well that is the big question.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good point. It's not original, not creative. It doesn't feel like it belongs as the central ship for a series the predates everything else we've seen.

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Why they are even DOING a new Trek series so soon... well that is the big question."

1/ Because it'll be hard to start-up Star Trek again after they take it away for 5 years. Look at Doctor Who.

2/ Because the public wants more Star Trek. Just not quite as much as they had before.

3/ Because otherwise everyone will be out of a job. Do you think that Berman (or the oh so God-like Michael Okuda) are just going to sit around for 5 years, without pay, plugged into some mythical "battery recharger"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why they are even DOING a new Trek series so soon... well that is the big question.

The UPN Network is losing ground , their only claim to fame is WWF Smackdown , They are trying to pump up the price before theyre affiliates go to FOX or some other network.

Personally You people are over selling this Akira resemblance , granted it has the same Cat. Hull type but thats basiclly the same as the secondary hull type , we've been over this countless times.

Basiclly most peoples problem with this is that they dont seem to understand that This show isnt for the hardcore fan its for the casual viewer and a plan to bring in new fans.

I know it may be hard to believe but most Trek fans arnt of the hardcore varity , most fans dont follow reg numbers , dont know the scripts line by line , those people are just the Vocal Majority.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But casual, fickle television viewers are happy only to watch the story and then turn off. It's the hardcore that makes noise, we really care beyond what the casual Trek fan can concieve. We campaign and campaign and do our damndest for Star Trek when other don't care. It's the hardcore like us that have kept Star Trek alive for 30+ years.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is a new show, they should have a new, original design. They don't. We've all seen the Akira.

If you've looked at the design now, you'll notice its not quite as much like the akira from views other then top. One of the many diffrences are the fact that the nacelles go upward, which does change its overall appearance.

quote:
The E-D was totally different to what had come before

So untrue. It was a big Enterprise-A with smaller nacells (in proportion).

quote:
The Akiraprise - really isn't new and interesting. Something that the 'signature piece' of a New Trek series should have.

Well, thats your opinion. I bet you that more Star Trek fans (even if we have to go outside flare) will like the new design. And thats what counts. (although, thats my opinion)

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Wes1701E ]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"We campaign and campaign and do our damndest for Star Trek when other don't care. It's the hardcore like us that have kept Star Trek alive for 30+ years"

I'd refute that completely. Exactly what campaigns have you taken part in recently, that have had the slightest impact.

While the above may be true for seasons 2 and 3 of TOS (and partially true for starting the movie franchise), hardcore fans are not what keeps a show on the air. TNG was a huge success because it had a large number of casual viewers, and that led to DS9 and Voyager.

Why do you think we're back to one series now? It's not because there's "Too much Star Trek". It's not because "it gives TPTB more time to focus their energies on creating a good product". It's because DS9 and VOY weren't as successful as TNG. When DS9 aired, TNG was extrememly popular. Their was a market need for more Star Trek. There isn't now.

If Enterprise gets poor ratings (Voyager level or lower), I'd bet we might not see another trek series for a long while. If it does well, we will. If it does really well, we'll get films based on it. And for it to do well, it needs to grab the casual fans that watched TNG.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant it 'in general'. It was the dedicated Trek fans that were seriously in love with the show that A) kept it alive in the 60's, and B) revived the franchise due to popular demand. Yes Star Wars had a part to play in the 70's, but you just have to admit that if there was no hardcore fans, the "Trekkies" and "Trekkers", then there probably may not have been any Star Trek movies, TNG, DS9, Voyager and now the fifth series Enterprise. It would have died off long ago with many other fleeting sci-fi series of the 60's.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Red Admiral , its a business , they need to find new viewers. Not pander to the vocal majority who they probley arnt going to please no matter WHAT they do.They need to find the middle ground and then work around that.

This isnt the old days where fan out cry could get a show back on TV , why give away a peak hours timeslot to a show that will likley gather the same viewers week in week out for the first couple of seasons with a steady drop off starting after the first continuity screw up , which Im sorry to say are quite hard to aviod when the fans have made up theyre minds about so many things before they have been correctly stated.

Why do that when you can with maybe even less the production budget , fill it with some carbon copy Reality TV Show that will bring in maybe 4 times the revenue a campy Sci FI Show gets?

This is not the time of Fandom , its the time of $$$.

Your coming out of warp ladies and gentleman , And yes we seem to have broken down in the worst neighborhood you can imagine , Yes ... Welcome to the Reality.

Personally I would book a flight back to my place in fantasy land but I cant seem to get a good bargin on priceline

That place is getting worse and worse since Shatner stopped doing the spots ...

[ July 11, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Obvious ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Well, maybe you're right, but possibly a reason that this prequel show has been commissioned is due to popular demand, suggestion and opinion by the fan public.

Yes, they want new generations of fans, but no matter what anybody says, if there wasn't such a dedicated fan-base whose voice has counted for a lot, Star Trek would not have enjoyed such a long and illustrious thiry plus year run.

--------------------

The ASDB

Topic Closed  Topic Closed
Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps