Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » NX-01 - Oblique View (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: NX-01 - Oblique View
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*LOL*

Actually, that's a very interesting comment you just made, Vogon. I didn't really think about it until you said it, but you're absolutely right. There have been several instances of this show not being true to TOS but rather to the later shows (and no, I'm not going to list them because everyone already knows what I'm talking about).

It's almost starting to look like that five-year mission never really happened (hmmm...can anyone say "Animated Trek"?)

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eaves wasn't lazy, he was criminally unoriginal.

As for the blue glow, we never did see E-nil actually gowing from impulse to warp, at least not an external shot of the nacelles. I take it that the indentations on the inside of either nacelle was where the blue flash would come from had we ever seen it.

In the later series though, like the DS9 battle sequences, we did see Excelsiors and Mirandas (Excelsiors I'm positive, Mirandas I'm 90% sure) with the blue glow at impulse.

Do ships use warp bubbles to maneuver at impulse? Does that make any sense or is it a stupid question?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, the Mirandas and Excelsiors in TNG and DS9 were refurbished with new engines to keep up with technology. I wouldn't be surprised.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just what is so WRONG with this design? Who is the keeper of the sacred grail of starship continuity, that says that:
1- catamaran starships do not predate TOS.
2- some starships have baffles which conceal/recycle the "blue energy glow" and some don't.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the "glow" on the warp nacelles...

In ST:TMP the E-Nil refit had a bluish glow on the inside grills of the nacelles whenever the ship went to warp (watch the last shot of the ship at the end of the film...the grilles are black until just an instant before she goes to warp...they turn on and ZOW!).

As to the E-D, Andy Probert told me he never intended the engines to glow all the time, only at warp. That's why the grilles were painted copperish (which you never really see because they're always glowing). But the FX people just shot the ship that way cause they liked the way it looks. He described that having the grilles glowing at sub-warp speed as as stupid as "having an F-16 on the tarmack with its wheels chocked and the afterburner on."

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other thing about the pre-E...

This really started with the Excelsior, but I'm getting pretty sick of it. Look at the texture on the top of the saucer just forward of the bridge. Notice how tiny those planels are. Some are smaller than the portholes. No one would build a ship out of 3x3 foot panels. It's a stupid and clumsy attempt to establish scale, and it's inconsistent with the much larger "Aztec" patterns surrounding.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric: The old ships didn't have a blue glow because the nacelles were completely contained. There was no way for the light to get from the inside to the outside. It was there, but you couldn't see it. It's like putting your hand over a flashlight and wondering why there's no light coming out of it.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this is an old ship, right? So the nacelles shouldn't have the grilles.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Cochrane's Phoenix was an even older ship and she had the grilles on her nacelles. From the Daystrom Institute of Technology Library:

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, whose side are you on, anyway?

Can't you see that we're trying to think of excuses not to like the Pre-E?

No I'm not being sarcastic, why?

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dude, whose side are you on, anyway?

Can't you see that we're trying to think of excuses not to like the Pre-E?

No I'm not being sarcastic, why?

Airing of opinions is one thing. Starting a crusade is another. In the nicest-possible Sol-ish way, get a life.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Burn the Enterprise. Burn it!

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE ENTERPRISE LOOKS COOL. FOAD
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Foad"?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Fuck off and die."

Why can't I see this picture anymore? "Unknown Host?" Buh?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps