Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » NX-01 - Oblique View (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: NX-01 - Oblique View
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did we see the Excelsior jump to warp in III or VI? Also, hasn't there been the blue coming out the sides of the Excelsior and others where its coming out the top?

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: Stingray ]

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, i just realized that the original configuration Connie has similar grilles on the inward-facing sides of the nacelles. Wow!

But, however, the Daedalus does not.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, technically speaking, the pictures of the Daedalus in the Encyclopedia suggest that the back ends glow blue.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really could care less about nacelle-glow colors. I'm more concerned for MINOR and IRRELEVANT details, like, oh, I don't know, historical continuity. Preventing the timeline, and all other canonically established facts from being screwed up seems to me a somewhat bigger issue that needs to be addressed.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Well, technically speaking, the pictures of the Daedalus in the Encyclopedia suggest that the back ends glow blue.

Yes, and I submit that the whitish domes on the aft end of the series-version Constitution serve the same purpose... as well as the holes on the pilot-version Constitution. As a matter of fact, it would be cool if, at warp, the original series Enterprise's aft domes glowed blue-white. They could even "smear" as the film versions did.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey the Evil Lord is right! Can't we shut up about this whole 'does the blue glow or not' crap and think about why wars are jumping around from one century to another and why there was a Starfleet starship Enterprise before the E-nil?

I think we've settled the whole bluewarp grille thing pretty well. The E-nil has them. The Daedalus has them. The Phoenix has them. There's no technical reason why the Pre-E shouldn't have them. It's just a cosmetic thing that serves as one more little detail that makes the NX-01 look not quite as primitive as it should.

R U guys happy now?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why there was a Starfleet starship Enterprise before the E-nil?

Easy. The E-nil bore the name "USS Enterprise". The E-(-A) bears the name "SS Enterprise." Therefore, the E-D is the fifth to bear the name "USS Enterprise" but certainly not the fifth vehicle to have Enterprise in its name in any shape or form (because then you'd get into the space shuttle, the sailing ship, the Hoopliner etc.) The fact that they could be different Starfleets entirely is only reinforcement.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

April/Pike/Kirk's Enterprise (NCC-1701) has been explicitly referred to (on TNG, DS9, VGR, I can't quote exact eps) as both "the first Starship Enterprise" and "the original Starship Enterprise" so it doesn't matter what prefix it carried (U.S.S., S.S., etc.) because it hasn't only been called the "first U.S.S. Enterprise."

That's one thing they can't get around. That and the registry number.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, has it? Where?
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont Forget the Aircraft Carrier , USS Enterprise

Mim , get some episode names I wanna see those lines.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Can't we shut up about this whole 'does the blue glow or not' crap and think about why wars are jumping around from one century to another and why there was a Starfleet starship Enterprise before the E-nil?"

No, we can't. If we have to shut up about nacelle glows, then you have to shut up about that other stuff. Gotta be fair...

"The E-(-A) bears the name 'SS Enterprise.'"

Well, according to the ship's hull, it's just "Enterprise", not "SS Enterprise".

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
Member # 646

Oh, yeah. I don't think it's been confirmed yet that the present incarnation will be S.S. at all. If it's Starfleet than it should by all rights be U.S.S., but then again, that might turn out worse.

Doc Obvious: Are you on my case again?! Man! Forget it, I'm too lazy. Go find the eps yourself. I can't believe you guys won't just admit that the whole frickin' series is just one big frickin' continuity error.

I'm going to bed. Talk to ya in the morning.

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Oh, yeah. I don't think it's been confirmed yet that the present incarnation will be S.S. at all. If it's Starfleet than it should by all rights be U.S.S., but then again, that might turn out worse.

Actually, Paramount registered the term "S.S. Enterprise" with the PTO recently, suggesting it's official.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strangely enough, I just discovered, this weekend, that my great-uncle served on the HMS Daedalus as a Swordfish pilot in the Fleet Air Arm. Until he had a bit too close a look at a German anti-aircraft battery, that is.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Forget it, I'm too lazy. Go find the eps yourself.

Here's the first rule of debating: if you have a point to make you need to present the evidence that supports your argument. It is not your opponent's job to find the support for your argument; it's your opponent's job to find the evidence that contradicts and invalidates your argument. Of course, this could hardly be considered a debate, in which case, your failing to support your own conclusions attacks at your own credibility.

quote:
I can't believe you guys won't just admit that the whole frickin' series is just one big frickin' continuity error.

Why should we admit that the series is going to be one big clusterfuck? The evidence that we have shows that the series is not violating continuity. Your argument for the new series being a continuity disaster is based on 1) your dislike of Berman and Braga, 2) dates for events that were assumptions made in the Chronology and Encyclopedia, and 3) the physical details such as set construction and ship design conflict with your sense of what is proper for the mid-22nd century.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps