Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » I committed a mistake,...

Author Topic: I committed a mistake,...
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
when I attempted to write the 'continuity' thread in this forum.

I have been attempting to look at the first Trek as a separate entity and compare this show to her successors. I did this with Zephram Cochrane and, now, with the general history as presented in both sets. In the end, I am feel that I am told that I spend too much time with one and that I am acting inapproriately by placing the E.W. in a differnt century with the other.

I feel that what I need is an outside perspective to the issue of Enterprise. I perceive that our emotions and our interests are very connected to this franchise. There seems to be much yelling at each other in a vain attempt to prove to ourselves and to others our notions of Star Trek and Enterprise. I am fatigued of this, and I can't see a way for us to take a few steps back and see the larger picture. So I ask you, is there a means that we can step back and see this picture?

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like the Borg and evolution, it's all about being able to adapt to changes.

I think I understand what the premise is of this new show. Although it is a prequel, it's trying to be an "updated" Trek, a "Trek for the 21st Century." Let's face it, the TOS predictions for how the future is supposed to look was a '60's point of view, with '60's technology and '60's budget. Unless of course there is some kind of retro revolution in the 23rd century where beehive hairdos and go-go boots come back into style. But that's not my point.

It's about believability. If TPTB continued along the TOS line, where genetic supermen took control of half the Earth in the 1990's, had sleeper ships years ahead of the Space Shuttle, Starfleet personnel who carry around communicators three times the size of today's cell phones, etc., the average "new" Star Trek audience wouldn't get it. We would, of course, but it looks like the die-hard Star Trek fan is not the target audience of this show, hence all the hoopla we've been going on about with continuity, technology, etc.

Am I upset that BermanBraga may not be following set ST continuity? A little. Am I losing sleep over it? No. I'll wait and see what they have to offer before I give my approval or not.

Am I upset over the Akiraprise? Yes, if only because I feel there could have been more of a creative design than a blatant rip-off of another. Would another design more suited to a TOS style 22nd century ease my mind? Maybe, maybe not.

Do I still like TOS, even with this updated prequel? You bet.

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: Dukhat ]

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm ono-on-one with Dukhat - except that the word "upset" doesn't enter into it. Puzzled and disappointed maybe - AFTER I'VE SEEN SOME EPISODES.

But upset? No. Just as Spock reserved the term "fascinating", I resereve the term "upset" for when it really matters - like the real world.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps