Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » In the original, what year...

Author Topic: In the original, what year...
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
was the UFP formally recognized?

I would say the answer is within the first year of TOS, say 2197 in old calender and 2267 in new calender. This date is of course been revised to 2161.

Here is my evidence:

A hundred years before the original, there is an Earth-Romulan war. ("Balance of Terror")

Forty-eight years before the original, there is an Earth expedition by the crew of the USS Valiant to NGC 321. ("A Taste of Armageddon")

Eighteen years before the original, there is a famine on a Earth colony world. ("The Conscience of the King")

In the eighteen years between the last event cited and "Where No Man Has Gone Before", there was a massive war. This war ended with a peace treaty on Axanar. This peace treaty might have been the charter for the UFP. ("Whom Gods Destroy", "The Mark of Gideon") For years afterwards, the varying navies ('starfleets') operated under their own banner. Eventually, the navies started joining, ex. USS Intrepid. In the year 2197 or 2267, the UFP is formally recognized. This change is evident in the episode, "A Taste of Armageddon".

I noticed this pattern after hearing the earth expedition of the USS Valiant and comparing other references made to Earth this or Earth that.

This is another example of the changing of continuity between the first Trek and later Treks.

And, now Enterprise, has altered the continuity by having the SS Enterprise be a Starfleet ship and not an UESPA ship.

[ July 16, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NGC 321?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
NGC 321 is the location of the Eminair Star System.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh sorry. I misread it. It looked for a sec like you were saying NGC 321 was the registry number of the Valiant. I didn't see that blatant little "TO" there!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by targetemployee:
was the UFP formally recognized?

I would say the answer is within the first year of TOS, say 2197 in old calender and 2267 in new calender. This date is of course been revised to 2161.

While I agree that based on direct on-screen evidence, your line of reasoning is interesting, as late as Star Trek Phase II it was sometimes called the "Earth Federation;" in other words, even when they said "Earth ship" or "Earth expedition," they could have been referring to the Federation. Just wanted to point that out.

quote:

A hundred years before the original, there is an Earth-Romulan war. ("Balance of Terror")

Check.

quote:

Forty-eight years before the original, there is an Earth expedition by the crew of the USS Valiant to NGC 321. ("A Taste of Armageddon")

Actually, this was described as "over fifty years ago" in "A Taste of Armageddon," but that's not too big of a deal.

quote:

Eighteen years before the original, there is a famine on a Earth colony world. ("The Conscience of the King")

Check.

quote:

In the eighteen years between the last event cited and "Where No Man Has Gone Before", there was a massive war.

Source?

quote:

This war ended with a peace treaty on Axanar.

Well, Garth's tactics at Axanar were required reading when Kirk was at the Academy. Kirk visited Axanar as a new-fledged cadet, and it is clearly not the same incident. This suggests that (unless there were more than one major event there) the Axanar Peace Mission and whatever battle Garth was involved in were not at the same time. There's no evidence of a "massive war," though.

quote:

This peace treaty might have been the charter for the UFP. ("Whom Gods Destroy", "The Mark of Gideon")

Check.

quote:

And, now Enterprise, has altered the continuity by having the SS Enterprise be a Starfleet ship and not an UESPA ship.

This, of course, doesn't change continuity with either neither or modern Trek, since neither one made mention of Starfleet's founding... and UESPA wasn't used before Starfleet as an operating authority, it was used simultaneously and overlapping with it. As such, if the two entities could exist together during the original series season one, they could exist together for as long before it as we'd like.

[ July 17, 2001: Message edited by: Ryan McReynolds ]

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps