Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Series V Pilot Episode details!!!! $$$$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Series V Pilot Episode details!!!! $$$$$
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trektoday has just posted a review of the first episode of Series V "Enterprise." http://www.trektoday.com/news/210401_05.shtml

Be afraid, be very afraid.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lord God almighty...

1. I wonder what the Klingon will look like.

2. Why the hell was a lone Klingon chased to EARTH, of all friggin' places!?

3. [Insert prejudiced rant here]

Oh, look father; over yonder horizon comes one of Geoffrey's ships from the Spice Islands! It is doubtless laden with salt - let us take it!

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright - assuming this is accurate, my opinion of the concept is much improved. The focus on a particular star system (ours) is something that hasn't been done since the early seasons of DS9, and one part of Trek that I actually have missed. Being able to watch the evolution of a species after First Contact will also be intriguing to watch - providing that we can see this and avoid the typical exploration themes we see in Trek, which are great but very strained after three series.

I'm still dreadfully afraid of how they're gonna much up the timeline, since Paramount ahs the worst track record for it. This one doesn't seem to be THAT bad, but over seven years we're bound to see a lot of mistakes.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most notably that Klingon First Contact seems to have moved up by a few decades

I don't think we're goint to focus on a single system as much as DS9 did. We might spend more time in Sol then TNG, TOS, or VOY (especially VOY), but not as much time as DS9 did in Bajor, I think

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, ironically enough VOY had more Earth-featured episodes than any of the other series...

But still, having a series taht is at least partially based at Earth (or *any* regular base of operations)will be interesting. In that sense, it's almost the antithesis of DS9 (about a ship with a base, instead of about a base with a ship) and something that wouldn't have been one before.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has potential. All is in the execution.

Though I would point out that I seem to recall suggesting something like this over a year ago.

A maximum speed of warp four works out to 64 times the speed of light on the old scale. That means that it'd take three and a half weeks to go from here to Alpha Centauri. I hope they fix that. Warp five would take nearly two weeks. Warp six, a week. Perhaps there's an inordinate amount of showtime between episodes? Or perhaps we have a number of bottle shows? Or perhaps we run into wormholes, or get technological upgrades from the Vulcans?

I also wonder, did they use stardates before the founding of the Federation?

I like the concept. It goes more the way of Earth: Final Conflict. It can explore how humanity is reacting to its first contact with an alien species, and how it deals with others. How does it change our lives?

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one thing no one has mentioned is how it'll be distributed--syndication or UPN (& if it's the latter, I'll never get to see it.)

------------------
"I'm beginning to think that there'll be NO forced mating at ALL!" --Professor Hubert T. Farnsworth

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting, but given that we still don't have an official announcement about Series V, I'm just treating this as a rumor. However, I do have some thoughts on it...

1) If this takes place 5 to 10 years before the Federation exists, we should see part or all of the Romulan Wars.

2) The Suliban... Interesting concept, but if they were so involved in the early days of the Federation, why haven't we heard of them or seen them before? Did they get wiped out? What we might be seeing is a "Fall of the Roman Empire" effect, given the timeframe this is supposed to take place in. The Germanic tribes were invading the Roman Empire because they themselves were being driven from their traditional homes by invaders from Asia. Perhaps the Suliban are invading known space at this time because they are fleeing from an expanding Romulan Empire...

3) The appearance of Klingons. Berman has made it perfectly clear that continuity from TOS does not mean as much to him as continuity from the newer series, but given that the smooth/bumpy forehead thing was dealt with (well, sort of ) on DS9, I'm betting we'll see smooth forehead Klingons.

------------------
"The Long Kiss Goodnight begins, more or less, with Geena Davis being kicked in the head by a deer. This was the high point of the film."

- Sol System, 2/24/01

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only breaches of continuity thus far, as I see it anyway, is the moving-forward of the transporter and the Klingon first contact. The date of the invention of the transporter has always been pretty much Okudan speculation, and aside from the date given for transporter psychosis in "Realm of Fear" we have no unbreachable canonical early limit for it.

Klingon first contact was nailed down to the early years of the 23rd century by "First Contact," but I saw "Alliances" last night and it referred to "200 years of hostility with the Klingons," IIRC. If final and lasting peace with the Klingons didn't come till Narendra III, that number would be indicative of First Contact within a few decades of the 2150s, which isn't so bad after all. To be blunt, I think I'm with Braga on this one. It's one line of dialogue, and that shouldn't stop the writers from exploring a well-known and well-loved group like the Klingons.

Here's hoping they bring back the term UESPA to refer to the Pre-Starfleet Earth organization in charge of the Enterprise.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and its very possible the Suliban are still around in the 24th century... I mean, look how often we've seen races that are Federation members, for Chrissakes, a hundred years after TOS. Tellarites, anyone? Andorians? Orions? Tholians? Yes, the odd throwaway line, but nothing of substance. Having the Suliban eventually absorbed into the Federation as members and then having them "disappear" Tellarite-style is not at all out of keeping with the precedent set by Roddenberry.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps we have already seen a Suliban without noticing. Just think about the endless amount of unnamed alien species seen in the background on DS9 for example.

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*can't get the theme from "The Sullivans" out of my head now*

The transporter shouldn't be there, IMO. Even warp capable civilizations far in advance of 22nd Century Earth (eg the Vidiians) didn't have it, so why would a bunch of holocaust survivors that accidentally madde First Contact, even 50 years after it happened. (unless the Vulcans lent a hand, which going by the above doesn['t seem that likely)

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vidiians had transporters. They beamed Neelix's lungs out of his chest, after all.

------------------
"Omega is right."
-Jeff Karrde, March 18, 2001 08:47 PM

Soontir_Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
VERY sophisticated transporters. Beaming his lungs out without damaging them or the surrounding tissue. Talk about pinpoint precision.

------------------
"Asteroids do not concern me, Admrial. I want that ship, not excuses."

-Lord Darth Vader (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back)

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, I don't think they beamed them out. They sliced them out with their all-in-one medical tool.

------------------
"Excuse me, Mr. Rampaging Killer? Why don't you put down the gun and take a look at this hand-held monkey? Does it not have clever little forepaws? It eats gum and sap!"
--
L. Fitzgerald Sj�berg
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and something pleasent will happen to you. Possibly involving syrup.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps