Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Series V Pilot Episode details!!!! $$$$$ (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Series V Pilot Episode details!!!! $$$$$
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Transporters in the mid-22nd century? That makes the technology even more incredible than it already is.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The plot thickens! AICN now reports that the favorable "review" sent into Trek Today was actually written by a Star Trek staffer:

For your reference, here's the original AICN review they mention in the newer article: http://aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=8559
------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the [URL=http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sfmuseum/index.htm] Starfleet Museum

[This message has been edited by Masao (edited April 25, 2001).]

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd take it as a good sign if factions of Paramount bother to do this kind of imaginative promoting. At least they show they care what we think.

That "negative response" this Viacom Girl is talking about - where is it coming from? Letter-writing campaigns? Angry phonecalls? Dunno. If Paramount had listened to such feedback before, we definitely wouldn't have gotten DS9, perhaps not even TNG. I say, let them try. What can we lose? It's not our money they are using (at least unless we buy excessively large numbers of toy phasers or Voyager videos), but it *is* our time they are wasting. And the writing certainly won't get better just by putting all Trek on a hiatus - so the sooner we get to see their next experiment, the better. Any time spent worrying about Trek, instead of writing, filming and marketing it, is time wasted.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, my God!

Wouldn't it be unbelievably boring if they DIDN'T screw things up? What would we have to do?

Seriously, I am very much against ANY new alien race in a prequel, and I hope they will use Tellarites and Andorians extensively, since popular belief says they were founding members of the Federation.
I also hope they finally solve the Alpha Centauri question: native inhabitants or just an Earth colony?

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seems I screwed up the links.
Here is the AICN article that says the script review at Trek Today was written by a Series V producer: http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=8794

Here's the original script review on AICN from last month that got the producers upset: http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=8559

Sorry for the mix-up

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I'm a Trehnophyle:
1. Why no tractor beam (assuming this rumor-mongering is true). For Ghu's sake, it's nothing more than a generated gravity beam - and they already have artificial gravity.

2. I'm thinking back to "The Cage". We get to see a good deal of early 23rd century (I think) technology and sophistication. I do hope we wouldn't see things that look more modern than this. [removes sarcasm translator].

To quote various characters in Star Wars:
"I've got a bad feeling about this."

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: tractor beams, that's exactly what I was thinking. But I think it said something about the artificial gravity being created by a "gravity well." So, does that mean there's a black hole on board the ship, or what?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, "The Cage" was mid-twenty-third-century. So, the stuff we see should be a century less advanced.

As for the "gravity well"... Wouldn't this have to be located at the bottom of the ship, to keep everyone in the same direction? Wouldn't that put a lot of gravity on the lower decks, and little at the top? Or, if it's strong enough that the difference isn't noticeable, wouldn't it affect things outside the ship? Wouldn't there be a lot of space-dust and such clinging to the outside of the ship, due to the gravity?

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Spoilers from Voyager "Friendship One"$$$$$$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
The "fact" recently established in this ep that Earth was using antimatter drives in 2067 is just the kind of thing I feared about the new series. They are front-loading series V with much of the technologies and conditions of TOS (artificial gravity, transporters, Klingons) rather than gradually introducing them and seeing how the new tech is dealt with. But, I guess most fans aren't techical fans and don't care about this type of thing.

------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't that the problem anyway? They can't make the technology too "low-tech", otherwise I think this whole series wouldn't be what we have come to expect from Trek in the past.
I'm already beginning to dislike this show even before it has started. :-(

------------------
Kryten: Pub? - Ah yes. A meeting place where people attempt to achieve
advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of
fermented vegetable drinks. - Red Dwarf "Timeslides"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Star Trek shouldn't only be about technology, so maybe we shouldn't care about the tech so much as long as the new Series has good stories and characters and reflects the proper values of Trek we've come to know. On the other hand, Star Trek should be about how mankind reacts to technology. On the third hand (oh well) if the new show has all the tech of the modern era, what's the point of setting it in the past?

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So "Friendship One" was powered with good old Auntie Em? Well, that would help explain how it could do the pretty respectable speed it must have been doing to reach the planet in the time allotted. Was there dilithium aboard as well?

With this now established, I guess we can safely say that the Phoenix also had antimatter power. There is no real reason now it shouldn't have had that type of power, and there *was* that dialogue involving words like "intermix"...

Anyway, there goes most of the plot of "Final Reflection". Damn. So far, that book had teetered on the verge of not-quite-noncanon. Now it's gone forever into the noncanonland. I seriously hope the new show can come up with something of that caliber as a replacement... Perhaps dilithium will be discovered during the run of the show? Perhaps the Klingons will play a role in this, if they really have that stuff readily available on their home planet's orbit, on Praxis? Such a plotline would be rather interesting from both treknology and general-dramatic point of view.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then what about the lithium-to-dilithium thing?

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did't say lithium they said 'lithium--short for dilithium...really.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is antimatter so unbelievable? It seems almost certain that the Vulcans were using it. I'm sure they could have spared a cup or two. That doesn't mean Cochrane had to have access to any to build the Phoenix.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps