Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Bad news, Jeff Kardde (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Bad news, Jeff Kardde
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to TrekWeb, Paramount Pictures has suspended its open script submission policy. Looks you and others won't be able to submit spec scripts for Enterprise.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*shakes head sadly*

T'was only a matter of time...

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...this makes Earth: Final Conflict look good in my eyes now...Wait, where did that come from?

By any chance was there any reason for the suspension?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None given. My best guess is that the intern who picked through the weekly unsolicited submissions read one chilling tale about Spock returning from Romulus to rescue Tom Riker in order to fly around the Galaxy in a fleet with 3 Sovereigns and 42 Defiants blowing up Gorns and Tellarites and explaining why the Klingon foreheads changed while avoiding Sela and her ally the Horta too many and ran off screaming down the the middle of Melrose Avenue dodging large trucks.

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
A reason is given. There are legal issues. I don't know the other reasons. Maybe, just maybe, the writers of this new show are actually planning on writing an arc for the series and a fan written script wouldn't work with the arc.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Does Paramount have an open script policy for Star Trek movies???

[ July 23, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

That has to be one of the most mentally-disjointed statements I've heard in a while.

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to movies, I'm sure they don't have an open script policy.

By the way, Moore and many other writers dodn't necessarily get in through the open submission process. Ron Moore knew someone who got his work read, and he was told to get an agent and resubmit. He didn't come in totally without an agent. He told me this when I interviewed him in 1989.

And, actually, it's not so hard to get an agency to represent you. A made a few dozen phone calls and was able to land at the same agency where Moore started without much effort. You just have to know the trick of learning which agency to call.

Oh, and have a good writing sample. An outline generally won't get you anywhere. You need a complete screenplay.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

There's been some speculation that bans on unsolicited scripts may have been a condition of the new WGA contract. Anyone unlazy enough to dig around and verify?

--------------------

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure this comes as a result of the Writers Guild strike settlement too.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
That sucks. Why is the writers guild denying everyone else a chance to have his/her work to be, at the very least, looked at?
IP: Logged
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I think that one could still submit spec scripts to the show. It's just that you'll need to have an agent representing you to do it. The way the process worked was that anyone could submit up to two spec scripts before you would need to have agent. The WGA agreement, from what I gather, has effectively ended that. You need to have an agent now.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
=(

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't really that much of a change, you know. Any script good enough to be seriously considered by TPTB is good enough to impress an agent.
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's right. If anybody was dying to submit a script to Enterprise and you actually thought you had a shot, then you should have no problem getting an agent and sumbitting it through them.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps