Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Raven reconstruction (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Raven reconstruction
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried to draw the Raven, based on the front and rear views and the Okudagram:

http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/temp/raven.jpg

I know it's not as detailed as usual, just a basis for discussions. Maybe someone with better 3D imagination can correct it if necessary. Length estimation: 85m.

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Looks like a big shuttle...

------------------
"You're a looney."
-Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ever since that matt painting in "The Raven" Voyager season 4 - I have assumed that "The Raven" is just an ambassador era for the Sydney class ship seen in "Relics" "Emissary" "Trials and Tribblations" etc.

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
irrevocably." Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - The Drumhead

Tachy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
-- *GLARE* --

IP: Logged
Tachy
Ex-Member

a few more pix could help, don't thank me, i am just a bad guy from another cool forum.

------------------
* --- GLARE --- *
http://forums.scifi-art.com

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, whaddaya know... It still looks like a big shuttle! *L*

------------------
"You're a looney."
-Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Tachy
Ex-Member

big and....................ugly ((((

------------------
* --- GLARE --- *
http://forums.scifi-art.com

Lindsly
Ex-Member

Could the USS Raven be a runabout? Runabouts are identified by a square body and square nacelles. Some speculation here-

Sydney Class
(first runabouts)
2290's
l
USS Raven
2350's
l
Danube Class
(current runabouts)
2360's and 2370's

The design of the USS Raven may be ugly. However, the design is not improbable like that of the Niagara or the Rigel or especially the Yeager.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sydney and Raven are way too big to be runabouts, though...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Blitzwing: "If I want to know what's on your mind, I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!"

grb
Ex-Member

Well, not for their day. The Danube class runabout is equipped with newer technologies, such as interchangable modules, that allows it to be smaller. Actually, I think the the Maquis raider was origninally a runabout. B'Lanna said it was sixt years old, so it might have been the runabout for the 2310's.

------------------
"How many people does it
take before it becomes
wrong? 6,000? 60,000?
How many people does it
take admiral!?!" -Ambassador
Picard during his command
of the Enterprise-E in the
Ba'ku incident.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Danube Class 'Runabouts' are way too small to be the later Sydney Class ships, - the sydney class has several decks - and a constitution sized bridge on top of it, with constiution nacelles.

also, sometimes the DS9 people turn the Sydney class upside down, to make it look like Danubes, but maybe that is just a different internal configuration - or that there is no right way up in space

Andrew

------------------
With the first link, a chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all
irrevocably." Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - The Drumhead

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The rightside up Sydney model is a completely different ship then the upside down and backwards one. The Sydney is a starship in its own right, while the second one is much smaller, and aside from a resembalance to the the Sydney class, isn't meant to have anything in common with it. Or so I gather.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tachy: Thanks for the additional images. I had no close side view so far. This will help me to refine the schematic. Looks as if the ship were a bit more stretched than I thought.

Lindsly: Welcome to the forum. The Sydney is more than 200m long and is anything but a runabout. The Raven has 4 decks and would be too big as well.

Sol System: It was the obvious intention of the DS9 VFX crew to make the Sydney look like a different design by turning it upside down. Is the DS9 version necessarily a smaller ship? That would bless us with a new scaling discussion.

*takes defensive position*

Lindsly
Ex-Member

Bernd:
Your estimation of the size for the Sydney Class I believe is in error.
In the movie Generations, the producers had the Whorfin Class transport and shots of the USS Enterprise-B were done CGI. A scene of the shuttlecraft on the USS Enterrpise-D was done in matte. All other shots of starships and shuttlecraft were done with studio models. What studio models were available at the time?

*Ambassador Class
*Antares Class
*B'Rel Class/K'Vort Class (D-12 Class)
*Class 6 (Hawking)
*Class 7
*Class 15
*Constellation Class
*Constitution Class
*D'Deridex Class
*D'Kora Class
*Daedalus Class
*Danube Class
*Defiant Class
*Encyc Class
*Excelsior Class (Refitted Enterprise-B)
*Galaxy Class (Enterprise-D)
*K'T'Inga Class
*Merchantman
*Miranda Class (Unnamed)
*Nebula Class (Farrugut)
*Oberth Class (Unnamed)
*Peregrine Class
*Soyuz Class
*Sydney Class (Farrugut shuttle)
*Vor'Cha Class
and other small models

According to the Encyclopedias, the shuttle in The Undiscovered Country (NAR-25820), the starship Jenolen, and the USS Nash (DS9) are Sydney Class. This class is said to be an early runabout. I associate the Farrugut shuttle with the Sydney Class based on structural and other similarities. One of the similarities is the placement of the registry on the left-most stern section of the shuttle's hull. Another similarity is the black "grating" seen on the stern of these ships.
One last point-a ship map on the USS Jenolen's bridge shows that a Sydney Class ship has three decks.
In the movie Generations, the Farrugut shuttle (number 4)is seen approaching and landing on the Enterprise-D primary hull. Number 4 lands parallel to a Class 6 starship shuttlecraft. Number 4 shuttle is twice the length of the class 6 starship shuttlecraft. This would make the length of the Sydney Class transport and shuttlecraft no more than 60 meters.
Why doesn't the Sydney Class land at one of the runabout pads at Deep Space Nine? The warp nacelles add width to the Sydney Class ship. With new dimensions, a Sydney Class ship would not be able to land due to space limitations.
From available evidence, the Sydney Class is a very limited ship. If not provided with warp engines, the Sydney Class ship is an upgraded shuttle with very limited range. This class can be launched from a planetary base (The Undiscovered Country) or from a starship (Generations). When a Sydney Class ship is outfitted with warp engines, the range of the ship is increased. A runabout's speed is less than that of a starship translating to longer periods spent in a ship. This could explain the multiple decks found on the USS Jenolen and the USS Nash. There are sections of the ship which are devoted to the care of the passengers.
Time Line-
2280's USS Sydney is commissioned
2293 Shuttle (NAR-25820)
2294 USS Jenolen (NCC-2010)
2370 USS Nash (NCC-2010-B)
2371 Shuttle (NCC-60597/04)
2375 Last known sighting of a Sydney Class ship ("Chrysalis")

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...the only problem being that what the Sydney uses for impulse engines, the shuttle uses for windows. I'd say that throws a bit of a monkey wrench into the idea of them being the same thing...unless I misunderstand what you're driving at.

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.