Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Favorite Ship (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Favorite Ship
Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with RW and TSN. The original Excelsior design just has a majesty other starships don't.

------------------
Risk is our business! That's what this starship is all about....that's why we're aboard her!"

Brigman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorites are the Defiant, Akira, and Nebula. I like the Defiant because of it's sleek manueverability and awesome hose of megadeath. The Akira for it's unusual and graceful design. And the Nebula, I have always liked. In fact I think she's much more sleek and robust than the Galaxy class upon which she's based! I wish they'd show a Nebula class doing something BESIDES getting blown up in DS9...

------------------
Peace!
Brigs

IP: Logged
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. Galaxy
There's no other ship combining huge volume and grace so perfectly. I like the comfort with the wooden arc and the carpeting in engineering. The overall design including the interior is perfect.

2. Sovereign
Is best described by a comment I once read about the model kit: "Looks fast even when standing".

3. Akira
An unusual, fascinating design. The hull structure is very complex, yet harmonic.

4. Intrepid
It's a bulky, massive ship, but it doesn't look like one. The rear view is the best one. The details are perfectly worked out.

5. Prometheus
It's very interesting to look at it from different angles. Once it's slim, then bulky.

6. Defiant
If it only had a consistent size.

7. Excelsior (original and refit)
Graceful, majestic, versatile. The seemingly most important starship of all.

8. Constitution (refit)
I will never forget the incredibly realistic scene from Star Trek I when Kirk and Scotty go round the ship.

9. Miranda
A seemingly dumb idea to rearrange a Consitution ship turned out one of the best ideas for starship designs.

10. Constitution (original)
The mother of all ships. It was better detailed than could be seen on screen.

11. Constellation
At first, I couldn't get accustomed to the bulky saucer, then I liked it very much. Since I saw the schematic in the Fact Files, I think it's a great design.

12. Ambassador
First I liked it very much, then I realized it was very fat and didn't feature many unique details. However, it's a good design as it's very typical for SF. I really appreciate the design since I have the model kit.

13. Nebula
Only a cube can be more compact. Honestly, it is surprising how elegant a ship can look that is wider than long.

14. Olympic
I can't understand why many people don't like it. IMHO the spherical main hull looks very "logical", and I was even ready to accept this as typical Starfleet design of the future, until I learned it was just a medical supply vessel.

And here are my most hated, examples for really bad canon ship design:

n-5: Freedom (FF)
n-4: Shelley/Curry (DS9TM)
n-3: Intrepid variant (DS9TM)
n-2: Yeager (DS9TM)
n-1: Niagara (FF)
n: Three-nacelled Excelsior (DS9TM)

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: Akira
2: Akira
3: Good old Reliant type Miranda

I just LOVE roll-bars!!!

------------------
"I laugh at the face of danger,
then I run away and hide."

- Xander from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'

[This message was edited by Altair on March 22, 1999.]

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. The refit Constitution: reasons are already up
2. The Galaxy class: I watched a re-run of TNG the other day, even though it was an older episode the Galxy class conveys an elegance that the Intrepid totally misses.
3. Stardock above Earth: not technically a ship but it looks cool (the big one with a dinky door for even a Galxy class), its huge though, has anyone compared the Borg cube to the Stardock?
4. X-Wings, the TIE Interceptor, and the Tyridium Shuttles from Star Wars.
5. The Planetkiller from the novel "Vedetta", never seen but kickass descriptions.

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would vote for the Akira and the Steamrunner.

------------------
How many people does it take Admiral before it becomes wrong?

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think it's obvious that Paramount should have ILM design more ships for them...

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Blitzwing: "If I want to know what's on your mind, I'll splatter it on the wall and see for myself!"

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Prometheus kicks ass! I like Defiant, too.

------------------
"A fellow's invented see-through film
He calls it 'cellophane!'
Another has built a parachute
For jumping out of an airplane!

Remarkable things flow endlessly
From out the human brain!
Indeed
And what a remarkable age this is!"
--Titanic: the Musical

Lindsly
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite ship design is the Niagara Class after seeing the dorsal view of this ship. I no know longer believe that the Constitution Class is my favorite and I no longer believe that all kitbash designs are bad. Why I do like the Niagara Class? The smoothness of the lines and the symmetry of the class. She reminds me of a fast moving Yankee Clipper in space.
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've only flipped through Vendetta at the bookstore, but if that ship is supposed to look like the one from TOS, then it's just a flying cornucopia...of death!

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1st - Sovereign Class
2nd - Constitution II Class
3rd - Ambassador Class
4th - Prometheus Class
5th - Akira Class
6th - Excelsior I/II Class
7th - Galaxy Class
8th - Nebula Class
9th - Defiant Class
10th - Sabre Class

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: IF I could remember just WHICH ships I liked best of "RW's Cargile's and Baloo's", I would have written their names down. At the time, tho, I didn't have access to my bookmarks (logging on from work again - naughty me) and I couldn't remember offhand to go back and check. Maybe I'll get around to naming names, but I'm kinda busy.

------------------
*I only SEEM Normal*

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Modern-Era
3.) Sovereign
2.) Prometheus
1.) Akira

Classic-Era
3.) Constitution Mk II
2.) Excelsior Mk I
1.) Constitution Mk I

Aliens
3.) Romulan BoP
2.) K't'inga
1.) B'Rel

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I admit. I like the Excelsior II. It looks steady, firm and solid. Like a boat with a wide hull. It's ugly an sich but it has a certain..attractivity. Is that even a word?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How come everyone (except for Lindsly ) likes the novel ship designs most, i.e. classes that use new components? Could the answer be that a technically plausible design is also a beautiful design?
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps