Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Favorite Bridge? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite Bridge?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of all the bridges we've seen in "Star Trek", from the TOS bridge, to the different movie bridges, to Star Trek: TNG, DS9, and VOY, what are your favorite bridge designs?

I think the Star Trek V/VI bridge is my favorite, although I prefer the darker tones the bridge was painted in ST-VI.

Along the same lines, I liked the Excelsior's Star Trek VI bridge (I hated the ST-III bridge), as it showed the familiar design and layout that we'd come to expect from the TOS movie bridges, but combined with features we'd seen on TNG (the individual conn/ops posts).

I hated the bridge from ST II and III. So ... dull.

I liked the TNG bridge, but it seemed very open to me. I much prefered the "Generations" version, with extra computer posts (didja know they were originally going to do that during the 4th season or so? How cool would thata been!)

Defiant is another good bridge design. Not a lot of wasted space. Hell, the entire Defiant is pretty damn cool!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek 8-9. That thing has to pretty much fill an entire soundstage!

It's the first one I've seen that could actually hold enough people to handle a true space battle.

(Of course, I'm a Honor Harrington fan, so I like 'em big)

trekfan2k
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a toss up between TNG and Voyager, but I think I would go with Voyager, based on the fact that TNG's bridge was two bright.

------------------
"You left spacedock without a tractor beam?"

"It won't be installed until Tuesday."

-Captain James T. Kirk to Captain John Harriman

IP: Logged
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my mind's eye -- the original pilot bridge from "The Cage", except with a budget and more contemporary production values is far and away the nicest bridge. But for actually seen -- Star Trek V. ST V also had my favorite Red Alert klaxon...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.) Enterprise-A-Bridge in ST6 (great movie, great story, great ship, great bridge, etc. )
2.) Excelsior-Bridge in ST6 (I like the blue chairs)
3.) Enterprise-B-Bridge in ST7
4.) Enterprise-E-Bridge without joystick
5.) Prometheus-Bridge (MiaB)

I'm not sure, but I think the E-C-bridge looked cool too. Has anyone pics of it?

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the E-C, E-B and E-A from ST 6.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite bridge belongs to the Enterprise-A from Star Trek VI. I felt that the stations' panels and computer screens were remarkable, and I absolutely loved the blue/green/black panel color theme. The general color theme for the bridge I felt was nice and well-done. In the same vein, the Excelsior's bridge from Star Trek VI and the Enterprise-B's bridge from Star Trek VII were also wonderful. The only thing I disliked was the weird "tea table" thing that sat in front of the command chairs. Reminds me of a TV tray.

The Enterprise-D's bridge from TNG was all right, but I always felt it was too open, too spacy, and too undermanned to be the command center for a such a large starship. A lot of those problems were corrected, in my opinion, during Star Trek VII. I just wish those added stations had not looked so much like an afterthought (it seemed to detract a bit from the overall design) and all been labeled "Communications."

The Enterprise's bridge from Star Trek I/II/III (basically the same thing but with different station locations) was a good design. I liked the gray utilitarian feel to the bridge. It seemed so appropriate for the physical buttons, switches, and keys on the panels. The walls had character.

Voyager's bridge is okay, but I feel that there is underused and wasted space. Especially around the viewscreen and front bridge area. Plus, the viewscreen is tiny. The Defiant's bridge I felt was visually boring. But the command chair's side panels and the work area at the back were interesting design elements.

The Enterprise-E's bridge I liked better in Star Trek VIII than in IX. It seemed more lively and colorful. Star Trek IX's bridge was flat. However, I really don't like the brown color theme (I would have gone with gray or dark blue). I don't like those two freestanding consoles that seem to block the path to the turbolifts. And tactical should be closer to the command area and give the tactician comfort. Give them a darn chair! The Ops/Conn stations I love split up and in the design in ST 8/9.

The Prometheus' bridge from "Message in a Bottle" was another example of vastly wasted space. Plus, for a deep space tactical command whatever, the bridge seemed understationed as well as too light and cheery. Perhaps it was simply a test module? The Hathaway's bridge from "Peak Performance" had the interesting element of an Ops-like tactical console right next to the command chair. Very interesting. The Dauntless' bridge was a big ol' waste of space, but the side stations had a very cool and visually fascinating look to them.

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LIEKE TEH PROMOMORTHONEUS BERIGDE!!!! IT IS TEH GOODEST OF ALL TEH BRIEGES ON TEH STRA TRAKC!!!11##@!!!IT HAS TEH MULTIMEBTCOR SEPERTAIONE IS MOED ITNO TEH MENY MENY ARTACK PRats!!!! IT HAS TEH QUADRO-ISO-PHASMER-PLASFMA-CANTONTONIC-SURPER-DURPER MANY GOOD PAHSHESR!!!!!! IT SHHOT TEH SHIPS!!!! YOU ARE MOST CERTAINLY ON THE WAY TO DESTRUCTION!!!!

In all actuality though, and if I can muster up enough fanboy-ism to answer this thread, I'd say the ST-VI Enterprise, and the Enterprise-B were two asthetically pleasing sets.

[This message has been edited by Ultra Magnus (edited February 16, 2001).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn... I think the general feel is that the ST6 bridges were the best or at least one of the best.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the Blue/Green LCARS, baby!

I've got an urge..

I GOT THE BLUE GREEN LCARS POWERUP AND DESIGNED THE BRIDGE!

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, still got it.

I say the Galaxy class battlebridge. No nonsense, just tactical, sensors, officers and a screen. NOT a goddamn disco-floor. Must be more shielded as well, tucked in there inthe gut of the ship, instead of ten feet from outer space. Where EXACTLY is the b-bridge placed, anyway?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, don't answer that, found the battlebridge. Damn, that's not any better at all. Very exposed.
Can anyone tell me what advantage there is to placing the bridge at the highest point of the ship, and the closest to space???? Hell, if the shields go a rock can finish that windowed ceiling, like in Generations...

Oh, and which set did they shoot the Lakota bridge-scenes in?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 16, 2001).]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There can only be one proper bridge - that of the E-nul in TOS. All others are pale imitations. The Defiant is completely boring and vastly over-rated. I've liked some of the imaginative things they tried to do to the E-D TNG bridge - the dark alternate one in "Yesterday's Enterprise," some of the ones in "Parallels" (and even the "AGT" one), and the "Generations" refit - the original TNG bridge itself was horrible.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TOS rules! NCC-1701, no bloody A, B, C or D!
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Roddenberry wanted the bridge on the top of the ship so that people knew where it was, and could easily identify it. The rationale behind *where* it is is basically that the shields took care of everything - in short, without shields, it wouldn't really matter where you were - weapons would go right to it regardless of location.

As for the Lakota, her bridge was not one of the usual sets. We *barely* see any of it, and for less than a minute. But what we do see of it is wierd, as Benteen's seat is partly in front of some floor-ceiling post, and has some sort of concole in front of it. My guess it was slapped together from pieces of existing sets (possible the Defiant's engineering set), a couple free-standing consoles, and a close camera angle.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps